2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Spray liner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:23 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Tnriverside
I have had a Line-X liner in my 09 F150 from the day it was picked up at the dealer. I had the Ford dealer do all the arrangements and I feel I got a better price and instal this way. I still like the liner.
When I looked at the 16 F150 ford spray in liners I noticed that the very bottom of the inside tailgate did not have any material on it. If you lower the tailgate and look at area adjacent to the bed there is an area without protection. To me it looks like a good way to have some paint removed as you slide irregular shaped objects out of the bed. My Line-X is sprayed compleatly under the tailgate.
This is done on purpose. If you spray the bedliner all of the way then the tailgate will not drop by itself when you punch the button on the remote.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:36 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I've had Line-X in my last two Super Duty trucks, both short beds. Great liners. They do a good job prepping and don't spray over the bed bolts. However, all the shops in my area charge $500 for a short bed and $600 for a long bed. So this time I ordered the Ford liner. No waiting, it's cheaper, and it has the logo. I don't think they remove paint at all for the Ford liner...just some chemical adhesion promoter.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I've had Line-X in my last two Super Duty trucks, both short beds. Great liners. They do a good job prepping and don't spray over the bed bolts. However, all the shops in my area charge $500 for a short bed and $600 for a long bed. So this time I ordered the Ford liner. No waiting, it's cheaper, and it has the logo. I don't think they remove paint at all for the Ford liner...just some chemical adhesion promoter.

I was just eye-balling an 2016 F150 SC/LB last sunday at the dealership...had the Ford spray-in liner and I noticed they sprayed over top everything...tie-down hooks, bed bolts, etc. The tailgate was locked so I could open it and see if the factory spray-in liner covered that crucial area between the bed and open tailgate. My F250 I had with Line-X didn't have this area done, either. Every dealer might be different...and that was over 10 years ago, too.

Overall, I thought the Ford spray-in liner looked great.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is interesting on the Ford LAP&KTP site there was a thread about the spray on liners. Line-X was probably the most recommended. There was no indication whether it was for new or second hand trucks but there was no mention of the factory liners.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:27 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by troverman

Did you go with the base Line-X in the other two trucks?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EightySecond
Did you go with the base Line-X in the other two trucks?
Yeah, the shop didn't give me any options...so I guess it was the base.

I'm certain the Ford liner is not as good. On the new F-150's, they also don't remove the box link cleats, so the hole where the cleat goes is still painted bare metal. As has been mentioned, they spray over all the bolts and tailgate access plate...and don't go down below the tailgate. My Line-X liners sprayed down only about an inch. The reason I went with the Ford liner is the cheaper cost, particularly on a long bed, the fact that when the truck arrives it is already installed and ready for work, and I do like the Ford logo in the front end of the bed. I think it will be "adequate."

Old 07-25-2016, 12:07 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The shop that treats me best uses Rhino, and their prices are $425 for short beds and $475 for long beds. Frankly I just quote all my customers $500, but that includes me running it down and back. We never factory order with bed liners because of internet marketing. It's easier to tack on $500 after the fact than to advertise our trucks $500 higher and try to explain to everyone it already has the liner. Having it done locally also means you have someone to go back to if there are issues. Our local shop is a 4x4 accessories place so folks can pick up other goodies from them too.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Spoojr
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Edit: Wrong thread...sorry!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:50 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Why don't all manufactures offer a spray in liner as a standard option? Just go ahead and add in in the base price of the truck. It makes no sense that these trucks cost what they do and offer no bed protection.

Ford would profit from doing so and save the customer the hassle of ordering it or waiting to get it done.

Just my $.02

Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 PM
LiveForHim
Freshman User
Sprayer-in Liner Done in 1-2 Days.

Looks like my truck made it through production and the spray-in liner process really fast. I ordered it on 9/30. Got a VIN on 11/6 and Window Sticker on 11/15. Got an updated Dealer Vehicle Visibility Report today that says it started into production on 11/15. Build was completed on 11/23. Shipped to Body Company on 11/25 for what I am assuming is the spray-in liner. Picked up from the body company by Ray Cooper Transport on 11/27. On 11/28 at 1:00pm it went into transit and is now on Rail Car TTGX992650 (Csx Transportation). ETA is 12/11-12/17. I can't believe it is going this fast after waiting so long. Sounds like it went through the spray-in liner process this weekend in 1-2 days. F350 Platinum Ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:05 AM
Rheingar
Senior User
Originally Posted by David1986
Why don't all manufactures offer a spray in liner as a standard option? Just go ahead and add in in the base price of the truck. It makes no sense that these trucks cost what they do and offer no bed protection.

Ford would profit from doing so and save the customer the hassle of ordering it or waiting to get it done.

Just my $.02
How the bed is protected is a combination of how the truck is going to be used and personal preference. We are getting Line-X done after taking delivery. If we were not planning on towing a fifth wheel, we would have ordered a factory drop in liner.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:03 AM
kansas gary
Senior User
One down side to the factory spray in bedliner for me is its way to slick in my opinion. My 2016 has the factory spray in liner and my old truck I had Line-X liner put on it. The Line-X was not as slick as this factory spray in liner. The Line-X you could put anything in the back by the tailgate and it would not slide to the front of the truck. Now my new truck anything I put in the back next to the tailgate it all slides to the front pain in the behind that's for sure..........

Old 11-29-2016, 09:40 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kansas gary
One down side to the factory spray in bedliner for me is its way to slick in my opinion. My 2016 has the factory spray in liner and my old truck I had Line-X liner put on it. The Line-X was not as slick as this factory spray in liner. The Line-X you could put anything in the back by the tailgate and it would not slide to the front of the truck. Now my new truck anything I put in the back next to the tailgate it all slides to the front pain in the behind that's for sure..........
Agree 100% except the 2017 liner is even worse than the 2016 liner in terms of slickness.

The 2017 factory liner is very nice looking. It has the sprayed-in Ford logo at the front. The color, shine, etc all look great. I think it is as thick as a Line-X. But it is way too slippery!

I had two 2016 trucks. One came with the factory liner and the other I installed a Line-X. The Line-X was simply terrific at holding loose items in place near the tailgate. I had always filled up a couple of 5 gallon diesel jugs for my small tractor and just set them in the back. With the Line-X (or Rhino or Toff spray liners I had in previous trucks) nothing moved. So I assumed the same with my 2017. First time I hit the brakes to slow down from 40 mph at a traffic light I hear "wham" as the jugs bounce off the front of the truck bed.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:48 AM
WolfFox
Senior User
I had the Line-X sprayed in my F350 KR LB. They removed all the hardware except bolts. I got the Platinum with the UV protection. Not sure if Ford has the UV protection or not. I'm very pleased with the job Line-X did.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:01 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David1986

Just my $.02
This post makes no sense. Do you own a business?

Quick Reply: Spray liner