Optimal front/rear axle weight distribution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:45 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
Believe it or not, I actually agree -- even though I often suggest weighing it.

Here's my train of thought and how I approached mine.

If you load up with water,propane and as much gear as you normally take, then adjust so that the front end is as close to unloaded as possible, or slightly lower, you should never be more than 100 lbs one way or the other on the front no matter how your trip-trip load varies.

I also think that the further you get from the margin the less it matters. But if you are close to the line, then the setup can become more critical.

From reading on this board and others, any half ton towing more than about 27 feet, or any SUV with a short wheelbase makes the setup closer to critical.
(especially a dumarse like me who bought a 31ft TT to haul behind his 119" WB SUV)

I think if you have a crew cab long box dually, you can probably get away with just about anything. But I've not tried it, so I could be wrong. I just know in the half ton market, you'd do best to take the time to set it up as best as you can. I've seen some scary setups going down the road..... And some very poor handling trailers because of it.

But again, if you are going to take the time to scale it, then why not come away with the best numbers you can get. But then again, if it is handling fine, why bother scaling it? I like to solve problems I know I have, but I don't go looking for problems just because I know I can solve them.
See, great minds think alike!

Steve

Old 07-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Freedom1955
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dooger54
Pretty much same as me. 25' weighs about 6200 loaded. I also have Maxtow and the 6.5 bed, 3.5 Eco. I have also installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension.

Taking ours out for the first time next weekend.
Cool! I just sold my Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison so I am a little apprehensive with the new half ton but as meborder suggested we are not pushing the limits of our trucks. I'm curious why you installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:17 PM
dooger54
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Freedom1955
Cool! I just sold my Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison so I am a little apprehensive with the new half ton but as meborder suggested we are not pushing the limits of our trucks. I'm curious why you installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension?

Check out their website. Lot of handling enhancements. Especially helps when you add tongue weight, doesn't sag in rear near as much. Opted this over airbags, much simpler. Also no degradation in ride when not pulling trailer.

Some good posts on this forum and the F150 Ecoboost forum. Check those out.

One of the common complaints about the stock suspension is it tends to sag a lot when weighted down.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 PM
dooger54
Junior User
Here's my setup.

Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Freedom1955
Junior User
Originally Posted by dooger54
Here's my setup.
Something doesn't look right with the angle of your distribution bars. Aren't they supposed to be level with the frame or lower? What hitch do you have?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:51 PM
dooger54
Junior User
Something doesn't look right with the angle of your distribution bars. Aren't they supposed to be level with the frame or lower? What hitch do you have?
Propride. Set up perfectly according to Sean (owner) at Propride. Been towing trailers for 20 years. I've used Reese Dual Cam up until the Propride. Went with this one because it pretty much eliminates any chance of trailer sway.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Freedom1955
Junior User
HaHa! You have a white 2016 F150 and an off white color camper with a long awning covering two exterior doors just like us! Here is a picture of our camper, thought I had a better one but I don't.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:50 PM
dooger54
Junior User
Crazy. Could almost be twins!

Old 07-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
I agree with Freedom. You shouldn't have to crank your bars up that high to get your rig level. What are the bars rated at, and do they have a heavier one? Your trailer is fairly light, and shouldn't put that much strain on your WDH system.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:19 AM
dooger54
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hoss416
I agree with Freedom. You shouldn't have to crank your bars up that high to get your rig level. What are the bars rated at, and do they have a heavier one? Your trailer is fairly light, and shouldn't put that much strain on your WDH system.
I appreciate the comments but the WD system is set up correctly. This is a Propride hitch and works differently than conventional systems. I have sent pics to Sean Woodruff at Propride and he had verified everything looks good.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:06 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
There is no head angle adjustment on the propride hitch. Thats why the bars angle up like that. Its just the way it is.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:23 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Yes, the Pro pride and Hensley Arrow are completely different than any other WD hitch out there in respect to how the spring bars sit when loaded (as well other features). As was stated above, they do not have hitch head adjustments like typical WD setups, so the bars do get flexed up towards the frame like that. It is completely normal and correct for the bars to be sitting like that on a PP (or HA). In reality the bars are flexing about the same amount in either case, it just looks odd with these Pivot Point Projection hitches vs typical WD hitches because the head end of the bar stays perfectly vertical vs being angled down.
We use the HA with 1400lb bars and our TT has 1400lbs of TW and our bars sit the same way.
Name:  IMG_20160311_174924_zpsfdgtguo7.jpg
Views: 5917
Size:  247.4 KB

Old 07-25-2016, 10:23 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Does leave me to wonder why PP and HA dont put a degree of angle where the bars attach to the head. In much the same way as blue ox does. Non adjustable, but with a preset angle

Maybe its not as important as the internet leads one to believe.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:52 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
Does leave me to wonder why PP and HA dont put a degree of angle where the bars attach to the head. In much the same way as blue ox does. Non adjustable, but with a preset angle

Maybe its not as important as the internet leads one to believe.

No need to really, the bars all have the same or nearly so amount of flex when loaded for a given amount of work. It just looks odd because most folks are used to seeing them sitting near level when loaded on typical WD setups. Just like what happened here, guys commented on the bars being up "too far" based on what they are used to dealing with. Which is good, it shows that folks are looking and paying attention and offering input to help each other out. The spring bars used are made by the same big companies as most, my 1400lb round bars are actually Draw-Tites if I recall correctly. And a 1400lb bar is going to have the same amount of bend on it when it's handling a given load no matter what it's physical orientation is, our's just start off in a different position than most.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM
dooger54
Junior User
Tom-

Thanks for explaining the concept behind the ProPride and Hensley hitches, you did a much better job than I could have!

I'm new to the Propride, having used the Reese dual-cam before. I like the idea that these hitches eliminate sway, don't just prevent it. I did a TON of research before buying, cause they are expensive. But in all my reading, I never saw one post of a person who bought one and didn't think it was absolutely the best hitch ever.

Quick Reply: Optimal front/rear axle weight distribution?