Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

Just traded my 13TC for a 16TC LWB

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 PM
winginit
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ToasterVan
No flat here, just needed an easier access point. Spent 45min lowering the spare.. and in my condition it was hard..(nerve damage in the shoulders) so I'm merely thinking about my wife if she ever had to lower the spare. I'm tempted to have someone run the air line out towards the back of the van and have the shop create or find a socket/Allen for that lowering mechanism just to give us a few power options. But I'm not electrically incline to run my own wires etc.
well it sure would be easier if it was in the cargo area to access.
but if you cant lower the tire because of your shoulder then how could you actually change the tire. good Luck

Old 10-12-2016, 04:57 PM
ToasterVan
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll (we'll) cross that bridge when it become necessary or call our 24 hours roadside assistance. I just like the fact that IF I can do things on my own, I will continue to do so.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:59 PM
winginit
Elder User
I'll (we'll) cross that bridge when it become necessary or call our 24 hours roadside assistance. I just like the fact that IF I can do things on my own, I will continue to do so.
Yeah I would get triple A if I had that problem. Thanks

Old 10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
ToasterVan
5th Wheeling
Actually Triple A isn't what it's cracked up to be.. more than twice we've been lead astray because of their blunders.. because we've never been issued any sort of driving siltation.. Our insurance threw in several new options at no charge.. one being roadside assistance.. Also, according to out Ford Life time plan.. we're covered even if we run out of gas in the middle of nowhere USA. Not taking any chances.. I'll throw a rotopax in the van if we meet that kind of extreme

Old 10-12-2016, 05:36 PM
winginit
Elder User
Actually Triple A isn't what it's cracked up to be.. more than twice we've been lead astray because of their blunders.. because we've never been issued any sort of driving siltation.. Our insurance threw in several new options at no charge.. one being roadside assistance.. Also, according to out Ford Life time plan.. we're covered even if we run out of gas in the middle of nowhere USA. Not taking any chances.. I'll throw a rotopax in the van if we meet that kind of extreme
Good deal👍

Old 10-12-2016, 07:08 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
The spare under the vehicle is not a really good idea. A spare on the roof also has its difficulties. A spare in the vehicle takes up room. Maybe the solution is no-flat tires??

Old 10-12-2016, 07:14 PM
winginit
Elder User
Originally Posted by EvanBly
The spare under the vehicle is not a really good idea. A spare on the roof also has its difficulties. A spare in the vehicle takes up room. Maybe the solution is no-flat tires??
Run flat tires would be nice😜

Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Many vehicles come with run-flat tires. The Toyota 4WD Sienna is one of them. There are also a number of imported cars (BMW's and the like) that use them. Typically, owners hate them because they are heavy and have a terrible ride and many replace them with conventional tires.

Some cars like newer Chrysler vans come with no spare and a can of tire sealant. OK if you have a little nail hole but useless if you slash a tire on a piece of metal. Mine has the optional spare. The new 2017 Town and Country offers a mini-spare as an option--this is an uniflated tiny tire on a rim that inflates with a can of air that they give you.

Run flats are available in very few sizes and tread designs, so you are limited in terms of replacement options (and may be forced to have your tire store order tires for you and wait). In 5 or 10 years, if sales of that size of run-flat tire are not sufficient for the tire mfr to profit from selling them, your size could be discontinued.

If you buy new Michelin or Continental tires, they come with a 3-year road service warranty where you can call for a free changeover to your spare, or if you don't have a spare, a flatbed ride to a service facility. Not a bad perk and one reason I like having new Michelins on 3 of our vehicles.

George