1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

EBC brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:05 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast

Brakes caliper rebuild kits are available for a very low price. I thought they'd be a very smart choice because of the simplicity of a caliper. But when me and my friend, both fully capable and experienced technicians, rebuilt mine - apparently we failed somehow.
So I conclude there must be "more to it" and I'll just replace brake calipers from now on.

I still have caliper rebuild kits for the rears... Sealed bags if anyone wants them.
Having successfully rebuilt hundreds, if you don't inspect and make sure they are rebuildable, it will be for naught.
Having said that, some of these "rebuild suppliers" are sketchy as all he!!
Not all calipers are salvageable.
What went wrong ? did they leak? did you hone and install new pistons or just change the o-rings?

Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Im50fast
I fully agree with your first paragraph. I guess there was a misunderstanding somewhere. Sorry about that.

However your second paragraph seems to contradict your first. Yes I do believe high-performance brakes are excellent for a truck. That's why I buy them. The sheer power of deceleration from my Powerstop brakes is/was phenomenal.

All it takes is one "close call" to fully justify the extra money. Have you ever had a vehicle crash that was your fault? I have. And I've had near misses as well.

Imagine if you rear-end crash somebody… Imagine yourself in that position and then imagine if an angel of the Lord appeared and tells you that it could've been prevented for $200…
And yet you forgot that your pads were replaced a year ago ?
If there was such a big difference, you would have felt it.

I think you fell into "new is better than old" trap.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vettex2
And yet you forgot that your pads were replaced a year ago ?
If there was such a big difference, you would have felt it.

I think you fell into "new is better than old" trap.
I completely understand why you say that but no it's not true.

I got Powerstop brakes 23 months ago and they were awesome: except they pulled left due to my bad caliper.

I drove it that way (procrastinating) for about 15months and then during an oil change/tire rotate they saw the LF pads were nearly metal to metal so they slapped on a set of Ford crap.

During the next few months I forgot about the Ford pads but I noticed they didn't have the usual high performance torque. I remembered the Powerstop upgrade was approximately Aug/Sept 2014, so my mind assumed the Powerstop pads faded their torque due to wear.

Yes I completely forgot about the Ford pads. That's why I recently resurrected this thread- to be honest and full disclosure. i had been telling everyone (including myself) that my Powerstop pads and rotors had almost 100,000miles on them.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:27 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Well that proves it's the pads that make the difference.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:18 PM
KarstenP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, long time no update. I replaced my brakes couple hundred miles ago, after nearly 20k mls I went through 70% of my EBC pads and a set of stock discs. While I enjoyed the brake performance, I went back to stock pads and rotors which should hold twice that long.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 PM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My greens went out in about 6 months on my work van with slotted rotors. I think I have a caliper hanging but I don't have a pull while driving. I also have the right rear giving an issue and think it may be throwing the van while braking and causing undue wear on the left front or possibly the caliper on the right front being weak.

Just noticed the noise today and the inside pad was metal on metal and the outside wasn't far from it but enough that the metal piece that makes the noise wasn't touching yet. I'll be changing the other side tomorrow and check wear then. Was too late to get both tonight but had to get that one pad changed. When pressing in the piston it seemed smooth and I always grease up the sliders. I've got to get that rear drum loose to change the rears.