1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Best Way to Increase Driveability

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Brnfree
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Many 1982 trucks had the feedback carb with computer-controlled ignition. And lots of them have had things done to them that caused the computer to lock the timing at 10 degrees BTDC, causing the engine to be gutless. I had an '82 that was exactly that way, but with a change to a DS-II ignition system it ran quite well.

So, I suggest you look at the distributor. Does it even have vacuum advance? If not, it is computer-controlled and you need to find out if the computer is happy or upset. I'd bet on upset.
Excellent point. A hacked up computer controlled system will go into limp home mode and performance will be...limp.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I've owned two 1982 F150's, and both came with feedback carbs and computer-controlled ignitions. To me that is "many", and "two too many".

Regardless, lets don't assume. Instead, lets find out. I'm betting it has a mad computer as the "gutless" description is very appropriate to a 351W in limp-home mode.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Guess I am lucky, my '82 is still a factory installed DSII ignition system.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 PM
DeereFord300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lights_Guy3
351w

1st gear is an unsynchronized granny low. I know it has certain towing and off-roading applications, but it is not useful at all given how this truck is setup and how it is used. Regular driving is just 2 -> 3 -> 4. Huuuuuuuge rpm drop between 3 & 4 that makes it a gutless turd trying to accelerate at 40ish mph. At 60mph it basically does not have the ability to get out of its own way.
How far are you letting it rev in 3rd? The 351 has more torque near the top of its RPM range (being a small block V8), so if your looking for a bit more push let it rev to 2800-3000. With low rear gears and the wide gear spacing as you said the SBFs will move a bit more that way

Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 PM
CCXVI
5th Wheeling
Definitely sounds like you have something wrong. Mine will rocket up to 90 no problem, 83 250 with the 351W and 4 speed. Before I tuned it up it was a dog, but new plugs/wires/coil/cap/rotor helped a lot. Then a simple intake manifold and 4bbl carb plus timing advance really woke it up. It's still not up there with a mustang or something but it's faster than my 2012 focus was. Certainly driveable. The 351 is not a slouch, what you're describing is a sick motor.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Lights_Guy3
I haven't own the truck for very long (6 months or so) and in that time I have not messed with or even checked the timing and vacuum advance. Maybe I'm losing power there too.

The motor just seems so weak... Not worn out (no smoke, doesn't eat oil, starts in half a second, etc), just down on power. It was supposedly rebuilt and sits at fairly low mileage, but like I said before, it is just gutless.

Maybe some good synthetic gear oil for the tranny, gearbox, and diffs would help as well?
It's been pretty thoroughly covered, but your symptoms are typical of retarded timing.....good starting & running, but lifeless performance; that's the first thing I would check.
Synthetic oils won't make a significant power contribution in these trucks.

Regarding the transmission issues.........if you are still ok with a non-OD manual trans, then a close-ratio (there are two other versions) T-19 will solve your problems, & is a bolt-in swap with a T-18 or NP435.

Here is some reading - https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...anual/t18-t19/

I swapped to this trans from an NP435, for the exact reasons you mention.........a largely unused 1st; & the huge jump between 3rd & 4th.

One thing you haven't told us about is your rear axle, which can have a large effect on acceleration depending on ratio.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Lights_Guy3
New User
Thanks for all the input.

I won't have time to do any work on it till maybe Sunday, but I now have a good list of things to investigate.

Right now its basically all stock. Is adding an aftermarket intake manifold and 4 barrel carb worth the time and money? I don't need a race truck, but it would be great if it could maintain 65mph on a slight uphill with 2 motorcycles on a 5x8 trailer plus some cargo in the bed. Again, I do not know if this is a realistic goal to have, but it sure would be nice.

The truck does have vacuum advance. I am not sure if that means it does not also have the computer controlled advance, but I think not.

I also know that I bought the truck from a fairly non-mechanically savvy guy who had just yanked a lot of smog stuff off the motor. This was just weeks after his mechanic "really neutered the timing" to get it to pass smog. I do not care to reinstall any smog related equipment (I have a guy that can make it pass for a small fee), but I do need to make sure that the former owner didn't mess up any hoses. So I think I will also need to find myself a vacuum diagram and really make sure that there's nothing out of place.

So speaking of which, can anyone point me towards a vacuum diagram that I could use?

Ken- Thanks for the info about the alternate transmission configurations. I may look into this. Also, I am not sure what my diff gear ratios are.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If it has a vacuum advance unit on the distributor then it doesn't have computer control - at least to the ignition.

As for a vacuum diagram, the closest I can get is for a 1984 351W here: 351W - ???Gary's Garagemahal. But, since you live in CA that nor the one for the '86 are correct.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
you can try swaping a 4bbl on 351w`s came with 4bbls on some it was a Holley 4180. This carb is around 600 CFM I thought of using it on my 302 with a stock '80s Mustang 302 intake manifold. I decided against it for numerous reasons.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:39 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
He's in California, I don't think an H.O. conversion is going to fly.....

Old 07-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Lights_Guy3
New User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
He's in California, I don't think an H.O. conversion is going to fly.....
The fun police do like to make everything illegal here...

Buuuut, if an engine displacement and configuration were available for the make and model year of the vehicle, then it is legal to put one of those motors in the truck. And as far as I know, a 302 was an option in 82. They don't care much if its been modernized, just that it is the same block (or something like that).

All a moot point at the end of the day though, because without saying exactly what it is I do, lets just say that I do not need to worry about passing a visual or emissions test on this truck.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:17 PM
whisler
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My '84 F150 351W 4x4 with 3.55 gears and C-6 trans. would run 70 mph all day. Gas mileage wasn't great but it sure didn't struggle. Something is definitely amiss with your engine.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Well in the case of the mustang intake manifold you would want a '84-'85 302 version for the 4bbl. I do not know if the mustang of the same year came with a 351W but I know this carb Ford used on the 351W and the 460 engines in trucks I found it in the ford parts and illustration guide so in theory you should be able to get away with it but I do not know if the holley 4bbl for those engines are California compliant back when they were new.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:59 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
How many miles on the truck or more likely the CAT?

I would say after the motor tune checks out and all is ok there to maybe open the exh before the CAT to see if that helps.
A plugged Cat will make it a dog also. Also sometimes the CAT can break apart and clog the muffler so think of that too.
Dave ----

Old 07-09-2016, 06:40 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,685 Likes on 1,361 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
Well in the case of the mustang intake manifold you would want a '84-'85 302 version for the 4bbl. I do not know if the mustang of the same year came with a 351W but I know this carb Ford used on the 351W and the 460 engines in trucks I found it in the ford parts and illustration guide so in theory you should be able to get away with it but I do not know if the holley 4bbl for those engines are California compliant back when they were new.
I have mentioned this before, while I think a 4bbl conversion would definitely be worth it, I would not use a OEM emissions type carb like that, I would use a aftermarket carb. It will make a noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Increase Driveability