2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Platinum or Lariat 350 SRW 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 06:42 PM
bhall97-150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Platinum or Lariat 350 SRW 6.7

Hey guys first post here on this forum. (been on 150 for a while now but about to join the super duty club)

So I am about to order a new truck from my local dealer. Im getting a super duty mainly because I want one. I dont really have much use for the payload or towing but I've always wanted a diesel truck and this is america right? we do things based on want not need all the time.

Those of you with previous plat are you happy with them? Im either going with a loaded out Lariat or a loaded Plat.

Just a fyi i talked to my friend that owns the dealer and he has driven the truck and he just kept telling me how they got it right and this was the best truck he has ever driven. I asked him if they told him HP or torque numbers and the people from Ford would only say that the torque figure was a four digit number. so i guess thats good news for some people!

Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The console gets in the way when the girl wants to give me some loving while driving down the road... I also regularly have 6 people in the truck (me/girl/4 kids), so I need front bench. Bench is only available on the Lariat. If seating for 5 legally is fine and you want all of the bells and whistles, get the Platinum.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the SD side of the Forum bhall97.. Your gonna love this new truck,I have been stuck on the loaded Lariats as I don't care for all the bling on the outside (each to there own though) as I do like and enjoy all the features though..
Just use the build as price tool on Fords website and see what works best for you.. Again welcome as there are some very knowledgeable guys here.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Troy Moore
New User
I've found that a lot of it comes down to looks. The same colored bumpers on the Platinums make the truck look different to me. Some like a chrome bumper, some a color-matched bumper. The Platinums also supposedly have a higher quality softer leather. Mine will be a fully loaded Platinum, but only because I like the looks and of course all the features. Get what you want!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You can get everything the platinum has on the Lariat except the active motion seats and the softer platinum leather. I really liked the active motion seats when I tried them in the F150 recently.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:41 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
The console gets in the way when the girl wants to give me some loving while driving down the road... I also regularly have 6 people in the truck (me/girl/4 kids), so I need front bench. Bench is only available on the Lariat. If seating for 5 legally is fine and you want all of the bells and whistles, get the Platinum.
Better keep the console. All that on the road lovin' and you will need a school bus to carry the results around.....

Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Better keep the console. All that on the road lovin' and you will need a school bus to carry the results around.....

Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
You can get everything the platinum has on the Lariat except the active motion seats and the softer platinum leather. I really liked the active motion seats when I tried them in the F150 recently.
There are a couple of other differences as well - the Platinum has nicer wood trim inside on the doors and console lid. The Platinum also has a half-leather half-wood steering wheel. Finally, it has illuminated scuff plates on the door sills. This, along with the higher-grade leather, multi-contour seats, and different grille / wheels / color-matched bumpers / badging set it apart. Otherwise, yes, all the features can be optioned up on the Lariat.

Personally, I choose the loaded Lariat because it seems to be a better overall value, and I tend to prefer the chrome bumpers. The paint-matched bumpers do look nice, but I worry about bugs eating the paint over time, and scuffs and scratches. Looking at the current 2011-2016 Platinum SRW trucks, I actually think the wheels are not as nice as either of the 20" options available on the Lariat. The only thing I actually would like to take from the Platinum is the half-wood steering wheel and the nicer wood trim. I also kind of like the cheese grater grille, but this can always be easily changed down the road.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:52 AM
Tnriverside
Senior User
It's hard to think about resale value when I'm looking at ordering a new truck. But, a loaded Lariat will normally not have the value of a Platinum. It's hard to add all the options in when it's time to sale. I still get what want. I just make a educated decision.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One other feature of the Platinum is the leather color used for the seats. The dark brown interior is awesome and it adds a sense of warmth and welcome I don't feel with the black, and after 16 years with the light tan it is time for a change.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
In person, the new Brunello interior on the Platinum trucks is the best looking to me.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:40 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by UGA33
In person, the new Brunello interior on the Platinum trucks is the best looking to me.
I agree - even though I've only seen the pictures.

Regarding resale, I would suspect the Platinums depreciate at the greatest level. That is typically the way it works with luxury vehicles.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:53 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
Depreciation is based on percentage, so an XL and Platinum will depreciate at the same rate based on %, but by total value lost due to depreciation, the Platinum will suffer the most. For the most part, this holds true for gas/diesel/top of the line/stripper model/etc.

If you are worried about depreciation, it's best to buy used.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:40 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
I would have loved to get the platinum, but Ford thinks its a good idea to only offer the lame center console on the KR and Platinum. I want a pickup that can haul 6 people including myself. I can't imagine for the life of me why Ford doesn't make it an option to get the 40/20/40 on the KR and Platinum.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:05 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
I would have loved to get the platinum, but Ford thinks its a good idea to only offer the lame center console on the KR and Platinum. I want a pickup that can haul 6 people including myself. I can't imagine for the life of me why Ford doesn't make it an option to get the 40/20/40 on the KR and Platinum.
Because the whole idea of the Platinum is "luxury" and a bench seat does not convey luxury. It also removes the possibility of several of the Platinum's standard features, such as a rear seat 110v outlet, heated rear seats, and rear A/C vents. It would also preclude the wood console cover. Most people agree the console looks more upscale, even though the bench offers a certain level of usefulness the console cannot match. I like the better cupholders and much deeper storage with the console...but I will concede the extra seat is useful once in a great while.

Nevertheless, you can still get a pretty loaded Lariat and have the bench.

Quick Reply: 2017 Platinum or Lariat 350 SRW 6.7