6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

F350 sank in Harbor, Hydrolocked. Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
One word of advice...don't think anyone else has provided yet...STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER WITH THIS TRUCK

Old 07-07-2016, 05:38 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I've used many boat ramps and I saw some were the ramp so so slippery due to alge the rate of incline once the truck got going it would not of stopped.. even with the brakes on or gassing it in 2 wd. I always used 4x4 to back down and launch or retrieve.
And hasn't Fla had a huge Alge problem? ramp must of been aweful to stop on.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Add me to the list of uber-impressed on this project. Following with great interest and anticipation, and fascinated by your hobby although I don't think I have the stomach or knowledge for it. Keep on keeping on!

Old 07-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
My Oh My......I have no words except for more power to you brother and good luck!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:06 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, I do appreciate it. Had I know the amount of work just to get it to this point. I would have sold it for salvage. But, once committed, I am determined to get this to the best state I can.

So latest update....

After cleaning charge air cooler and craning engine minus injectors to get the 2nf batch of water out. I replaced injectors and (after a couple of diesel leaks for not tightening the high pressure rails enough).... engine burst into life. ran shakily at first then improved as the minutes passed. exhaust ejected some brown water from its dunking.

I ran a relative compression test, cylinder 6 was 4% off, Ran it again after 15 minutes running and it was down to 2%. Others were all 0%. I'm hoping that after some driving it will even out even more (had that with one of my flooded mercedes, after 500 miles all compression was back to normal, I'm guessing after rings were properly loosened and lubed up.

No Check Engine light and engine sounds great.

So the biggest hurdle seems to be over. now onto the small print. The turbo does not seem to be working. I only had this truck a few weeks before dunking it, but i seem to recall the turbo needle went up if you gave it gas and increased RPM even at idle. Can someone confirm this please? No errors on IDS related to turbo, I know nothing about turbo so would appreciate any pointers here. I do have another unit sitting in the donor truck(glad I bought that donor truck, I have a full set of parts needed to cover everything, just go and unbolt as needed). If needed I will swap them out, looks a bit of a PITA to get to but will cure it if all else fails.

After the turbo, there are a few errors in IDS that concern me. Would appreciate any advice on zeroing in on these. I have put pics of errors below

1. PCM Generator B control circuit.
I read that f350 has 2 alternators, does this point to one of those, or possible fuse?

2. IPC External Trip Switch Circuit (circuit open)
I have no idea what this is, google and service manual did not shed any light either. Any suggestions?

3. TCM Power relay control circuit open

4. TCM Actuator Supply Voltage B Circuit Open
Is this related to the generator B control circuit above. (note transmission does go into reverse and drive, have change fluids but not moved truck yet due to the lack of brakes :-) )

I'd be very grateful for any tips on the turbo or the 4 errors above. If and when this project gets finished it may just help someone else who drives the beloved into the sea, or it may encourage to sell it quick like I should have done if I'd had any sense.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Might have a bad TCM due to the dunking.

At idle my boost guage shows 0 but off idle or reving it the guage will move just a bit. Needles worth.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Also a dual alternator is a option but you should be able to see that by the vin.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:37 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Yep, this is dual alternator, so I guess one may not be working, do you just hook up to voltmeter to test with engine running??

Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
one error solved, EXTERNAL TRIP SWITCH CIRCUIT OPEN, is one of the switches that control the message center. Its located on the steering wheel which is still in the garage and probably explains why the circuit is open :-)

Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Progress, you're down to two!

Old 07-08-2016, 04:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I think IDS can test alternator output. Seems to me like it should be able to test them individually?

Old 07-08-2016, 06:27 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IDS can also run an engine test which cycles through the turbo. I don't know what it's called but I've seen it done, press a button and all the systems will go through a range of motion diagnostic. You can hear the turbo vanes and engine rpm go up and down.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:24 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job sir .
I have always felt, if you have the patience , and proper tools, there is no reason these fresh water flood damaged vehicles , could not be brought back to life.
Probably the largest drawback , is the Car fax , and Title declaring flood damage , keeps people from buying an otherwise excellent vehicle.

I buy and sell rigs that have mechanical issues , and have stayed away from any that have salvage or rebuilt titles , because no matter how nice they are , and if the damage was minor , people try to beat me up on the price.
Heck , I have a very nice tacoma presently , no wrecks or damage ever, had cracked cylinder heads, which the 3.4 , is known for , that has 270.000 miles , and people are still a pain in the but, even tho Toyota followers know , these trucks with this engine are like our Super Duty's , and will run forever.

Keep up the great work, and don't let some discourage you .

Old 07-08-2016, 11:20 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
IDS can also run an engine test which cycles through the turbo. I don't know what it's called but I've seen it done, press a button and all the systems will go through a range of motion diagnostic. You can hear the turbo vanes and engine rpm go up and down.
It is called an On-Demand KOER (Key-On/Engine-Running) Self-test.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:41 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Have solve the generator B circuit problem.

After tracing all the wires I saw that the engine harness (which I had replaced) had a blanked plug over the wire that connected the the 2nd alternator. I assume the harness came from a single alternator model hencle the blanking plug. I removed the blanking plug, connected it to the other similar looking plug and the error went away

Turbo does not seem to be working, could be fouled up. I know nothing about turbos, are these serviceable??

I can swap it out with the one of the donor truck, will just devalue the donor a little more

Quick Reply: F350 sank in Harbor, Hydrolocked. Advice needed.