6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My day AND TRIP saved by Mike (hoseclamp) and West Herr Ford of Buffalo...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:42 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Part # BC3Z 6F073 A

Requiring the use of the old rings only would work if you didn't almost blow them through your hood...

Old 06-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to blow the clamps off rubber boot on my 6L , it was crazy price too. Went to my local heavy truck shop and bought boot there for way less and cut it to length . Had a small dent in my hood from aluminum pipe following one of the failures.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Whole not funny at the time, these things happening make some of the greatest stories and memories for later.

I remember all of times my family and I were stuck on the side of the road for various events repairs.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:44 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Part # BC3Z 6F073 A

Requiring the use of the old rings only would work if you didn't almost blow them through your hood...
Ebay has them shipped to your door for $100. I only asked because this is not the first time that this failure has been mentioned on FTE and I know that others purchased extra exhaust sensors. It's not crazy expensive if someone has a worry.

bruce...

Old 06-30-2016, 12:24 PM
System
Prolocutor
I assumed I paid full retail or more for the convenience. It was worth it...

Old 06-30-2016, 12:42 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I assumed I paid full retail or more for the convenience. It was worth it...
Absolutely!!! If you were an Amazon Prime member with same day, road side, drone delivery they might have been able to help you out but I don't think this is an ebay feature, yet.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
Rodney, I blew that on my 2011. Limped it home pulling my old trailer about 80 miles. Not a lot of power, high egts, but made it. On mine it occurred under acceleration on the on ramp and was a loud bang. No CEL either. That's why I kept driving.

Hope you are back on the road soon! Someone might steal your spot in Wisconsin..... he he.
Mine went under moderate acceleration towing my boat down the highway, a loud bang, CEL came on right away, almost no power, and barely made it 1 mile down the highway to the truck stop. Had to call ford roadside service to come hook her up and tow to the dealer. You got lucky my friend!

Old 07-01-2016, 07:19 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So, if you wouldn't carry a spare, whats the hack version of a fix? what do I need with me?

Old 07-01-2016, 07:28 AM
System
Prolocutor
I suppose a ton of duct tape and some zip ties would hold you over until you got to the next Ford dealer if you didn't loose too much of the end that blew out. I would have tried it if I couldn't have found a dealer willing to make a roadside delivery... I wouldn't worry too much Sam. Because it happens to one guy on the net, doesn't mean it will happen to the millions of other trucks out there. A "common" issue has to be taken with a grain of salt as "common" is a relative term...

Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I suppose a ton of duct tape and some zip ties would hold you over until you got to the next Ford dealer if you didn't loose too much of the end that blew out. I would have tried it if I couldn't have found a dealer willing to make a roadside delivery... I wouldn't worry too much Sam. Because it happens to one guy on the net, doesn't mean it will happen to the millions of other trucks out there. A "common" issue has to be taken with a grain of salt as "common" is a relative term...
not worried, just planning. its a holiday weekend..4th of July.. had SO much fun with trailers over the years..

Old 07-01-2016, 07:31 AM
System
Prolocutor
Yes, as I traversed Chicago rush hour traffic yesterday, all I could think was, oh man, imagine if it happened here? I'd be SO screwed.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:33 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I have seen a few failures here on FTE but I would imagine it is pretty rare. I think the best thing you can do is to check it when you do your preventative maint checks.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:35 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by senix
I have seen a few failures here on FTE but I would imagine it is pretty rare. I think the best thing you can do is to check it when you do your preventative maint checks.
my guess is it fails on the engine side, where the heat cycles weaken the rubber a tiny bit. not something you would see on visual inspection.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:40 AM
System
Prolocutor
That is correct Sam. Mine blew on the intake side, not the intercooler side. You should see the underside of my hood!

Old 07-01-2016, 07:46 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

local dealer has 7 on the shelf.. guess it happens. $133 retail price.

Quick Reply: My day AND TRIP saved by Mike (hoseclamp) and West Herr Ford of Buffalo...