1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern tool spin on filter, now with installs

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:13 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
They r all vertical for me.....

Looks good
Really? On my galaxy s7 the pics are vertical in the picture gallery but on the website they are all turned horizontal

Old 07-10-2016, 10:17 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
I have no idea why my pics turned during upload? They are vertical on my phone....weird

They are turned on my screen, top is to the left side. And I thought I was the only guy with that problem, when people send me pix from an iPhone, it does the same thing so I just thought it was my junky computer.....

Got a question for yous, I solder all my electrical connections on all vehicles and I started thinking...would it be OK if I soldered the trans gauge into the radio harness? It's only one little gauge and I don't see a problem with fuses blowing? I can hook constant power (yellow from gauge) to the radio constant power yellow wire and then red wire from gauge to radio ignition red wire from radio and ground will go right next to gauge on the dash bracket where Ford has three ground wires bolted up, so does that sound ok?

I think you would be Ok. I tapped the lighter socket when I installed my three gauges, engine oil temp, trans temp, and vacuum. I fused the line to 1 amp. I also control my aux lighting relays with that power. You might want to put a low amperage inline fuse to protect the radio circuit if something would happen to the sender wires outside of the cab, not sure on the internal gauge wiring or sensor circuit voltage, but it won't hurt.

I tapped the dash light on the 4x4 selector switch for the gauge lights. You could use the dash light on the light switch too. Worked well. Just don't hook into the selector switch itself; its a 5V REF circuit from the GEM.

It looks like there is plenty of room for the gauge in that location. The installation looks good, too. I've thought of doing that, right now my gauges are in a homemade pod and about to be switched to an F650 (manual) lower dash panel....

I will be interested in how steep you think the learning curve on the pioneer unit is. I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I want to add cameras, and integration unit, recorder and GPS.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:18 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Yep, they are all good for me.

You could get the power for the guage from the radio, shouldn't hurt anything. Are you sure the guage needs constant power?? That seems really odd to me..

Old 07-11-2016, 05:45 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
It's a glow shift gauge so it needs a constant power to keep memory on the color scheme I want. If not it goes back to original ever time it loses power. I guess I can hook it the battery real quick and see if green is default? That would make life easier then I wouldn't need constant 12v

Old 07-11-2016, 05:48 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
And sdsc 4x4 my learning curve on modern technology isn't great lol. I can build a house, operate equipment, repair anything with an engine, I'm a hvac tech so low voltage relays etc I can do with my eyes closed. But trying to work this fancy head unit I'M LOST too many buttons with tuning for ever frequency available

Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Ok, got ya, ya wire it in with the radio, shouldn't cause a issue one bit. I've never used glow shift gauges so didn't know they ran a constant voltage. But that one guage won't pull enough voltage to make a difference.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:31 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Sweet! Figured it wouldn't pull enough to cause an issue. Only two more wires to solder up and I'll have my dad has back in, dang forgot about the USB flush mount...maybe a few days longer LOL

Old 07-11-2016, 10:41 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
After calling three times this morning the owner finally picked up at the trans shop. I said Lou it's Mike and I got Mike who? That broke the camels back for me this Thursday will be ONE MONTH not including the weekends that my trans has been there! And yes the guy works on Saturdays and gets deliveries on Saturdays for part's, wasn't the correct way to handle it but I flipped out can't hold it in any longer. I said what happened to my phone call last Friday to tell me if you were finished or not? He said I thought you were coming saturday....I said no you told me my clutches were on back order and you ordered from a different supplier and they were suppose to be there Friday and you would call me Saturday morning to tell me if I could or could not come!!! He said we have a communication problem mike DeSimone. Well I said some not kind things and said how's this for communication I'LL BE THERE TOMORROW AT 4PM IF MY TRANS ISN'T FINISHED TO THE SPECS I ASKED AND PAID FOR WHEN I PULL UP YOUR GONNA HAVE ONE F$$$ OF A S*** STORM

Old 07-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Dude I cant say if that was the right way or not to handle this but my worry now would be him cutting corners just to get it done and you not knowing for a year when the trans "Sh--s" the bed. How much jing have you given this guy??

Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
I gave him 500 cash when I dropped it off four weeks ago

Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I gave him 500 cash when I dropped it off four weeks ago

And how much will you owe him when you pick it up..

Old 07-11-2016, 09:05 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
And how much will you owe him when you pick it up..
That's the million $ question!!

Old 07-11-2016, 09:05 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Was quoted 1600.00 when I brought the trans to him and told him what I wanted done

Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Got my usb/auxiliary cable installed today

Old 07-16-2016, 08:36 AM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
And sdsc 4x4 my learning curve on modern technology isn't great lol. I can build a house, operate equipment, repair anything with an engine, I'm a hvac tech so low voltage relays etc I can do with my eyes closed. But trying to work this fancy head unit I'M LOST too many buttons with tuning for ever frequency available
I'm with you there! I am an "old school" electrician and feel like you do about what I can and can't do--the list is pretty much the same. I just had to ask, as I'm one of the last "flip phone" holdouts in the entire world! (When it dies, I will be dragged, kicking and screaming into the smart-phone era. )

I've done PLC work, but my specialty was "relay logic" which has some advantages over programmable logic controllers (I won't go into that here.) I understand the "input/output" stuff and how it operates but find most of it requires so much unnecessary input that it becomes useless overkill!

The USB port installation is clean! Will you interface that with the head unit?

Quick Reply: Northern tool spin on filter, now with installs