S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Displaying and Honoring our flag...do you know flag etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to finish up this thread, here's the last of the answers. Thanks for playing and hope we all can teach a few others, the protocol of our flag.

Originally Posted by r2millers

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Since Independence Day is right around the corner, how many of us know the U.S. Flag Code?
How many flag codes are there first of all? Civilian and each service branch.
If attached to a wall, what side is the blue "Union" side located on?
Upper left Yes, always to the left.
What's the preferred way to destroy an old flag?
Burned, while showing proper solemn respect. The ceremony may vary. Yes.
The U.S. Flag is the __4th__ oldest national flag? Adopted in 1777 although several revisions, Denmark's flag is oldest national flag, adopted in 1219
If lined up with other national flags, what position is it in when viewing? Same height and viewed from far left
If displayed with subordinate flags, how is it positioned?. Yes, Centermost and highest.
What's the process for positioning the flag when at half staff?
Should be hoisted full staff first, then lowered to half staff. Yes, and it must be raised again to full mast before removing.
When is the Only time, it's appropriate to fly another flag over the American Flag? During church services, flying a church pennant at sea

We all know to remove our hats, if civilian, to acknowledge the flag during The Star Spangled Banner. What process is correct to do so?
Hold the hat over your heart. Yes, remove with your right hand and place over your heart. Military personnel and Veterans should stand at attention and salute the Flag.

Also only upside down as a distress signal and all must be lite if flown in th the "Union" side up except when?
To show a state of distress. Correct.
What is the protocol for flying the American Flag on Memorial Day? Yes Pops, half staff until noon, then raised up to full staff until removed.
If flying the flag 24 hrs a day, what requirement is necessary?
Must be lighted/illuminated. Yes, always illuminated when dark.
And of course, a flag should never touch the ground.

Still a couple more here? Any takers?
In a procession, where should the flag be positioned relative to the marchers? To the right of the marchers.
Since 1834, the American flag has flown continuously at a grave site in what country? Yes, the American flag has flown near Paris France over Lafayette's grave.
What President proclaimed flag day but did not get congressional designation until 1949? Woodrow Wilson in 1916
What do you call a flag expert? Vexillologist.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 06:42 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Thx Bob for a fun thread. Note there is no comma between 'one Nation' and 'under God'...

‘I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Working on my Vex certificate.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:18 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Old 07-02-2016, 12:49 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
At first, JayWalkin' was funny.

Today's equivalent is tragic.

Pop

Old 07-03-2016, 11:58 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting today on Sunday Morning, John Adams would not celebrate July 4th as Indepencance Day, only July 2, as a result of the Continental Congress approving the D of Independence on that day, although the it wasn't ratified until the 4th.
Strangely enough, Adams died 50 years later...on July 4th.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:51 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
No one has mentioned the gold fringe? Some say it is unconstitutional, and renders the flag nation-less.

Also, I recently heard that a new law was passed to allow SOME flags to be thrown away, only if they are not fabric, for example if they are an artificial polyester or something I suppose.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:44 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Also, I recently heard that a new law was passed to allow SOME flags to be thrown away, only if they are not fabric, for example if they are an artificial polyester or something I suppose.
I don't see a point to that, since it isn't illegal to do anything you want with a US flag. The flag codes above are not laws. Just a code of respect and conduct, as I understand it.