Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Build thread: Big Red Beast

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All right everyone, you ask and you shall receive. I have the tires and wheels on, and I have pictures. This is before I've done anything to clean the tires up at all, or polish the wheels. In fact the whole truck is filthy because I've been too busy and lazy to wash it. Lately it's just been steady runnin' up the miles. If I have time this weekend, and the weather cooperates, I'll wash it and apply some tire dressing on there.
Wife and I got plans next weekend that could involve getting the truck good and dirty again! Every year in August we go up to the river with some friends, and getting to the river means going off road! That sounds like a good excuse to try out the 4wd!

Attached Images   
Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Jim, I really like those wheels on your truck. Ford should have continued to offer them on our trucks instead of discontinuing them after the 2008 MY.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Oh I should add that I would like to eventually like to get a set for Black Betty.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Alex, I like the wheels and tires too. They totally change the look of the whole truck! I agree that Ford should have considered keeping this wheel around for the 09-14 body. I wonder if they tried installing this wheel on the 09 truck while it was still in development. If they had, I think they would have realized just how good it looks on here, and kept it on the option sheet.
I also have to say what the Cooper's do for the handling, too! I can actually take curve now faster than a walking pace! The stupid Hankook's sounded like they wanted to break loose on me every time I went around bend. They gave up traction so easily in the rain, I was afraid to try them in the snow!
By the way Alex, if you get a chance on August 26, the car show up at Northway Church in Wexford is having truck night on feature row. I've already decided I'm entering mine. If you get a chance, come on up after work. I'm taking that whole day off so I can get the truck cleaned up and detailed. Then I'm going to try and get up there around 4pm or so to get a decent spot. This will actually be the first car show I've entered as a participant.
Starlite Car Cruise
What I like about the show up there is it's not judged at all, and everybody's welcome. Any vehicle is welcome, regardless of what it looks like.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:50 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Thanks for the heads up on the cruise in Jim. I just might have to check that out. Maybe you should spread the word on the Pa chapter board as well. I'll also let my brother in law know about the cruise. He may want to take his 67 El Camino to the cruise as well.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:10 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Cool! El Camino!
You could even bring Black Betty up and show her off too! Or maybe one of your other trucks if they're in drivable condition. I'd like to see them

Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Unfortunately they're not in drivable condition. But heck yeah if I do make it, I'll show Betty off. I'll even see about cleaning her up all nice and shiny before I leave work.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
FYI Jim, I have pics. of my 78 F150 in my gallery. You can check them out. Just keep in mind that it has seen better days. And is need of a resto..

Old 12-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Green Power
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful pickup PGH! Any new mods to it? How many miles are on it if you don't mind me asking? I love the color, and your tasteful mods.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Green Power
Beautiful pickup PGH! Any new mods to it? How many miles are on it if you don't mind me asking? I love the color, and your tasteful mods.
Thanks for checking in Green. Unfortunately I've been way too busy these past few months to do anything but drive the wheels off of it! Lol As of last night when I put gas in it, I was up to 34,780; and the truck has been flawless! I really like it, though I will say the visibility out the back could be a little bit better when I'm backing up. I'm going to be putting a stick-on convex mirror on the right side. I've got a few ideas in mind for him, but they'll have to wait till next summer when my schedule slows down some more. Right now I'm in the process of wrapping up my last 2 semesters of a college degree program, plus I work 45-50 hours per week, as well as keeping up all the chores of home. Hobbies will have to wait!

Old 12-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Thanks for checking in Green. Unfortunately I've been way too busy these past few months to do anything but drive the wheels off of it! Lol As of last night when I put gas in it, I was up to 34,780; and the truck has been flawless! I really like it, though I will say the visibility out the back could be a little bit better when I'm backing up. I'm going to be putting a stick-on convex mirror on the right side. I've got a few ideas in mind for him, but they'll have to wait till next summer when my schedule slows down some more. Right now I'm in the process of wrapping up my last 2 semesters of a college degree program, plus I work 45-50 hours per week, as well as keeping up all the chores of home. Hobbies will have to wait!
It's brand new lol.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I hope to get a lot more miles and years out of it. I usually keep my trucks until they're run into the ground, and this one will be no different. The only two things I would change about it if I could: I do wish I had the 5.0 V8, and I was really hoping to get the Sync. I like my 3.7 V6, as it pulls plenty strong; but I've heard the V8's actually give better fuel economy with more higher towing capacity. But all things said, I love the truck and it gets a lot of compliments!
I actually entered it in a truck show this past summer. Amidst all the old classic trucks, mine hardly got noticed, but I still had a good time

Attached Images   
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Talking

Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
I hope to get a lot more miles and years out of it. I usually keep my trucks until they're run into the ground, and this one will be no different. The only two things I would change about it if I could: I do wish I had the 5.0 V8, and I was really hoping to get the Sync. I like my 3.7 V6, as it pulls plenty strong; but I've heard the V8's actually give better fuel economy with more higher towing capacity. But all things said, I love the truck and it gets a lot of compliments!
I actually entered it in a truck show this past summer. Amidst all the old classic trucks, mine hardly got noticed, but I still had a good time
The 5.0 is a fantastic motor, I plan to keep mine to 300k. What mileage do you get? If I grandpa my pickup, I can probably get 18.5 with my ranch hand. Yours could use some led fog lights. 😎

Old 12-03-2016, 10:33 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Rebel I was wondering the same thing. You've seen my truck and given that we live in pretty much the same area I can tell you that my 5.0 with the 3.73 gears, I get between 15-17 mpg's.. I say that because it depends on how much traffic there is in a given week, and just how HEAVY my left foot gets. I should add that I get as high as 21.5 on the highway (thanks to our mountainous terrain).

Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Fuel economy is where my 3.7 doesn't do as well as I had hoped. In mixed driving, if I baby it and stay out of the go-pedal, I can get about mid-high teens. Even on the interstate, according to my scangauge, I rarely get above 20-21. Now mind you, that's a heck of a lot better than my previous truck used to get with the old 4.2 pushrod! But at the same time, it's not quite what I was expecting. Also, perhaps because of the gearing, it doesn't take much throttle pressure to knock it down a gear or two. The 3.7 will respond when called upon, that's not the problem, even with the steep hills I travel on a regular basis. Of course, those hills are going to do drain the tank quicker too. I guess it is giving me decent mileage, but just not quite what I expected. Although I have noticed that running premium in it the last couple months, I get 1-2 mpg better than on 87 octane. Fortunately I can buy my gas at Sam's Club to help the wallet (and the wife) take my fuel expenditures a little better. The next truck will most definitely have a V8.
As far as extra lighting, as Green Power mentioned; that is in the plans. I just need time and money.

Quick Reply: Build thread: Big Red Beast