Sponsored by:

Ford Excursion - Swap 2nd row bench seat for one with full LATCH system

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:00 PM
GHC45
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Excursion - Swap 2nd row bench seat for one with full LATCH system

What model year(s) 2nd row bench seats that have a factory LATCH system will fit in a 2002 Ford Excursion to replace the seat that is missing the anchors that are between seat bottom and seat back?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Briskey
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe any of them offered the LATCH system in these or the super duty series even through the 2016 trucks

Old 06-22-2016, 11:21 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the latch in some other vehicles, but just the square on the back bottom of our 2003 and a seat belt worked fine until we went to a booster. Just stretch the strap and hook it in the bottom corner and good to go.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:59 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is required in all cars, minivans, and pick-up trucks after September 1, 2002 (model year 2003). and in many made before that date.
Requirements apply to all passenger cars, trucks, and multipurpose passenger vehicles under 8500 lbs.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:04 AM
dougger222
More Turbo
Believe all year Excursions have the same latch system or should I say lack there of.

It's a real shame. Who knew so many parents would have kids in car seats in their Excursions.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
Is required in all cars, minivans, and pick-up trucks after September 1, 2002 (model year 2003). and in many made before that date.
Requirements apply to all passenger cars, trucks, and multipurpose passenger vehicles under 8500 lbs.
This explains why it's not in any Excursions or Super Duty trucks.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I too have wished for LATCH in my truck. Glad my little one in nearing the point of just needing a booster.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't need the LATCH system, just use the seat belts. After bringing up a child seat topic here a while back, I looked deeper into child seat safety and proper install. Seat belts still give you the best possible install, any other system came up because people are lazy and don't know how to do a proper install. The LATCH system was a way to make it somewhat idiot proof.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
Don't need the LATCH system, just use the seat belts. After bringing up a child seat topic here a while back, I looked deeper into child seat safety and proper install. Seat belts still give you the best possible install, any other system came up because people are lazy and don't know how to do a proper install. The LATCH system was a way to make it somewhat idiot proof.
When you swap seats between cars, it makes the install go a lot faster.

I have two seats for my Ex and two for my wife's van (LATCH Equipped)
When handing the kids off to the grandparents or picking up friend's kids (also LATCH Equipped) it's so much easier to transfer the seats between the LATCH equipped vehicles.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pele
When you swap seats between cars, it makes the install go a lot faster.

I have two seats for my Ex and two for my wife's van (LATCH Equipped)
When handing the kids off to the grandparents or picking up friend's kids (also LATCH Equipped) it's so much easier to transfer the seats between the LATCH equipped vehicles.
Agreed. I can get our car seats in there a lot tighter with Latch which makes them safer. I am not happy with how my daughter's seat fits in the Ex. I break a sweat installing our seats so that they don't move/wiggle at all. If we need to switch seating positions then it's a real PIA!

Old 06-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
This sounds awfully familiar, weren't you and I going back and forth on that a little bit until I posted the info that said it was easier, not safer?

Agreed. I can get our car seats in there a lot tighter with Latch which makes them safer. I am not happy with how my daughter's seat fits in the Ex. I break a sweat installing our seats so that they don't move/wiggle at all. If we need to switch seating positions then it's a real PIA!
Try reclining the Excursion seat back when you're tightening the seatbelt, allows more tension on the belt when you return the Ex seat upright. That's how I install my daughter's car seat and it's always extremely snug. I tighten the top strap down once the seat is upright. I also kneel on the car seat during all of this to really push it down on the cushion for the tightest fit.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
This sounds awfully familiar, weren't you and I going back and forth on that a little bit until I posted the info that said it was easier, not safer?
You are correct. Once you mentioned that I started looking a little deeper into it. I admit, it is a lot easier but the studies show using the belt is a safer option. The car seats are usually in the wife's Outback which is LATCH equipped but we still use the belts now.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
You are correct. Once you mentioned that I started looking a little deeper into it. I admit, it is a lot easier but the studies show using the belt is a safer option. The car seats are usually in the wife's Outback which is LATCH equipped but we still use the belts now.
It's a little sad to me how so many people messed up installing car seats that the LATCH was pioneered in the first place. Whenever it comes to any of my kids safety, I read instructions quite thoroughly. That and most fire stations have qualified members to inspect your install and verify it has been done properly and safely.

I had to teach my ex's boyfriend how to do it, as well as my ex. One too many times I'd meet up to pick up my daughter and the car seat was loose. Quick lesson and how-to and it hasn't been an issue.

I totally agree on LATCH being faster to swap back and forth, but even WITH the system in place I have found a large number of vehicles or seats themselves still do not allow for a tight fit. Anchor placements, seat contours and LATCH clip designs that do not allow for full harness tightening... To be fair, seat belt latches cause the same issues in different vehicles. I can achieve a far tighter fit with the LATCH in my parent's car for example, than I can with the seat belt. So for that, I use the LATCH. The truck however, I use the center belt as its so much easier to work with having no shoulder harness - along with the carseat's top tether. Luckily the stepsons are both in boosters, so it makes it a pinch fitting all three in the middle row.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
I appreciate the knowledge you two have. I am the car seat **** among my friends and family and totally agree that it's a shame people are so lazy to do it right. Something like 70% arent installed correctly. I would always get ours inspected and officer would tell me he's never seen them so tight. The key is the tightness. I have not heard of a safety difference between the two methods as long as they are both installed properly. Does the LATCH fail before the seat belt in a crash?

A little sensitive area when I see friends with loose seats. My youngest is 6 and I put her in a booster in the Ex. The Britax 5 point harness seat I have for her goes up to 80 lbs I think but sits horrible in Ex. Too tall. May give it a go again after this discussion.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
I have not heard of a safety difference between the two methods as long as they are both installed properly. Does the LATCH fail before the seat belt in a crash?

A little sensitive area when I see friends with loose seats. My youngest is 6 and I put her in a booster in the Ex. The Britax 5 point harness seat I have for her goes up to 80 lbs I think but sits horrible in Ex. Too tall. May give it a go again after this discussion.

Quoting myself from a previous discussion we had on this:

Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
LATCH was NOT designed as safer, it was designed and intended to be EASIER for parents to properly install car seats by reducing the complexity of seatbelt installations and hopefully reduce the misuse rate of carseats (which is unfortunately still mind-boggling, around 78-80%).

A few months ago LATCH became a topic of debate regarding actual security of the carseat. The problem is there are so many variables and associated forces at work in the event of a collision that it's hard to standardize the anchor system. Different weight of car seats, seat design, and most of all - the child's weight.

Most carseats will have weight limitations for difference methods of securing the seat, including the anchors. Most manufactuers for front facing limit the LATCH system to a combined weight of 67-70 pounds (rear facing is nearly identical at 65lbs), child AND seat. As of February 27 of last year, every car seat and associated manual will state the maximum child's weight for which the lower LATCH anchors can be used. Once you exceed this weight, LATCH goes away and, you guessed it - right back to the seatbelt.

Quick Reply: Ford Excursion - Swap 2nd row bench seat for one with full LATCH system