1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

95 F-350 fuel nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:34 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 528 Likes on 256 Posts
1995 Ford Fuel Pump Bowl Assembly Diesel 7 3 Powestroke | eBay Here is a used fuel bowl, but for another 100 bucks you could get a new one from Clay at Riffraff.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:40 PM
91 Dually
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the problem is air in the fuel, there almost has to be a hole in the supply line from the tank to the fuel pump.
I would try unhooking that line and put in a length of rubber line into a jug of fuel and see what happens

Old 05-28-2016, 09:40 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 91 Dually
If the problem is air in the fuel, there almost has to be a hole in the supply line from the tank to the fuel pump.
I would try unhooking that line and put in a length of rubber line into a jug of fuel and see what happens
You could just hook up to a fuel can right at the fuel bowl and test it.

OP. The triangle thingy that the spring goes onto under the big bolt should have a pointed end, if not, it will not work properly.

Last edited by nateairman; 05-28-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Spellins
Old 05-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
Sooooooooo....essentially the plunger being flat instead of pointed, makes it not push the air back out. This makes complete sense. My plunger is flat on that end and you can barely feel the spring compress when putting that 19mm bolt back on.

I found the fuel bowls yes, but none of them come with that housing on the side where my broken part is. I am gonna spend all day wandering the 10 junkyards by me. I might get lucky and find some 7.3's out there. Doubtful however. Usually those are pulled and sold separate here. If I do find one, it'll be stuffed into a shuttle bus or ambulance. Lol. If I can't find it there, I'll go to your suggested site. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2016, 12:45 PM
91 Dually
Elder User

The triangular piece, sort of a piston is not supposed to be pointed.... this is the pressure regulator..
The flat end seals against a seat and the stiffness if the spring determines how much fuel pressure it takes to get past it.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
Well that is what mine looks like dually. Its flat on the end. I have tried running fuel straight to it. Doesn't do anything different. So I am convinced that it is just building up pressure and not doing anything with it. I have a whole new fuel bowl, looks totally different than mine, ordered from Riff Raff. Going to drop the tanks and do the "Hutch Mod". That should eliminate any leaks in there and give me a mod. I have checked all the lines in the frame rail and replaced EVERY SINGLE rubber line around the top of the motor that carries fuel besides the two harder rubber lines that return the fuel from the front of the valve covers. Those are $120 a piece at the dealer. I ordered them from Riff Raff as well. $35 and $21 there. I have replaced all the rubber lines and reconnected the tank selector that the ******* shop that disconnected and didn't reconnect it while diagnosing it for the last owner.

So I should have everything fuel related new in that truck besides injectors which the guy said was done last year by a reputable diesel shop. I'll mess around with it tomorrow after doing the hutch mod to the tanks. I'll let y'all know if the problem fixes itself. I'll also post better pics of my fuel bowl. I don't seem to have a fuel pressure sensor on there.

I am thinking this fuel bowl does not belong with this truck. It doesn't seem to match up with many parts I find for that area.

Anything else I should address while I am at it? I will be cleaning up the top of the motor too. VERY NASTY up in the top. Looks like built up oil. I have noticed several mods, but what do yall suggest? This truck will be for hauling. It'll almost always have a trailer attached. Fifth Wheel or flatbed. Lol.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:13 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
From the pics it looks like a '95 setup. If you've been looking at pics of '96-'97 assemblies, they are different. Do you have the filter sensor sticking out the back (toward the rear of the truck) of the bowl, toward the fuel pump? That's how it is on the '95s.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
Originally Posted by madpogue
From the pics it looks like a '95 setup. If you've been looking at pics of '96-'97 assemblies, they are different. Do you have the filter sensor sticking out the back (toward the rear of the truck) of the bowl, toward the fuel pump? That's how it is on the '95s.
The only thing that comes off the back where the pump is is the hose that comes out the bottom and goes to the fuel pump.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:16 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you see the fuel filter sensor anywhere? Do you see an NPT plug on the back facing side?

Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
Originally Posted by madpogue
Do you see the fuel filter sensor anywhere? Do you see an NPT plug on the back facing side?
There is nothing. I'll get you a pic tomorrow when I go to it.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:06 AM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 91 Dually
The triangular piece, sort of a piston is not supposed to be pointed.... this is the pressure regulator..
The flat end seals against a seat and the stiffness if the spring determines how much fuel pressure it takes to get past it.

Omg! You are right been so long since I had one apart. Is there a little nipple for the spring to sit on?

Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 AM
91 Dually
Elder User

Originally Posted by nateairman
Omg! You are right been so long since I had one apart. Is there a little nipple for the spring to sit on?
On the brass plug, yes... the piston has a hole in it for the spring

Old 05-30-2016, 11:22 AM
Airstreamer67
Senior User
Is it possible that since the screen is not in place, that debris is clogging up the fuel return system at the regulator and not allowing air to be purged from the system at the fuel bowl?

Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 AM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
Is it possible that since the screen is not in place, that debris is clogging up the fuel return system at the regulator and not allowing air to be purged from the system at the fuel bowl?
My thoughts exactly as well! And no I have no nipple on my brass plug. It looks like it is worn off. My new fuel bowl assembly should be in tomorrow.

I think I might take take a look at and clean my injectors while I am doing things to it. He said they were replaced a year ago. But you know how people lie to get rid of something. Lol. I can tell the turbo was recently taken apart and had the innards replaced. Not sure why he didn't clean up the outside of it. Wouldn't have been too much extra. He said a shop did it. Thankfully a different one than the one that butchered the fuel lines and claimed there was air in the lines. I should have the entire fuel assembly fully replaced after the fuel bowl and hutch mod. The new fuel bowl should solve my air issue. Cause its like its just building up and not leaving. I almost modded the schrader valve and hooked a line to the back tank and setup a switch inside the cab to release the air out of it while driving. But I'd rather fix **** right. Lol. I'll update tomorrow after I get the part.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
Alright ladies. I spotted numerous differences between these two fuel bowls. Here are some pics. Y'all be the judge.

I'm waiting for my fuel to be dropped off. Gonna replace all the lines again just to be sure.

Quick Reply: 95 F-350 fuel nightmare