1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 Stroker Rear Ended in Berkeley

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I rent cars all the time when I travel (US and Canada) and haven't had to prove insurance to the rental company. I only had to show my Drivers License

Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've rented cars w/o providing proof of ins too. I should know by Friday if he has ins. I sure hope he does, otherwise my $500 deductible comes into play. It's totally whacked how Kommiefornia protects criminals and won't even allow the obvious victim to get ins info from the responsible party. Cops even told me I was violating his privacy by taking the picture of the car. They wouldn't let me get behind the car to snap a pic of the plate. Screw that state. I'm never going back. It's not part of America anyway.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
oh wow, when I looked at my F350 my dad got rear ended, guy was watching other lane take off and didn't notice my dad was still stopped at the light.

I snapped pics of all the damage from him and his damage, his License, registration which has insurance info on it and the plates too.

last accident I was in the state trooper never gave me license info of the trucker, just the guys name only and the 18 wheeler trailer plate. Said I didn't need it. Didn't even give the guy a ticket for running a red light and squishing my truck into the curb from not turning wide enough. Said I was trying to pass him on the right lol

insurance never did find that guy or the trucking company that used the trailer.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:49 AM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Last night I found the Oakland CHP website for the cops that tended the accident. Right on the Traffic page it says for drivers to exchange all info, which the cop denied me. He also told me he was not going to cite the Toy driver because he didn't commit a crime. I said on my 1400 mile drive home through Utah where my Bronco was I was liable to get a ticket for driving with a smashed left tail light and that isn't a crime! I'm filing a complaint against the officer for both reasons.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Man this kind of bull**** really chaps my behind!! File every complaint you can!! I would for sure. That cop was an idiot, to be nice.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 AM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Talked about being chapped!! Yesterday's discoveries are even better!! The police report says the cop smelled alcohol on the scumbag driving the Yaris so they gave him a breath test after they ordered me to leave the scene. He had alcohol in his system but since it wasn't .08%, he wasn't given a DUI. Turns out he bought the car from Hertz between 6mos and a year ago. But he never registered it in his name or bought insurance. So he broke some more laws he wasn't charged with. I wrote the Sgt last night insisting he be charged for causing the wreck, DUI and driving without ins and not registering a car he owns in his own name. He's only 21 and well on his way to being a career criminal already. I Google mapped his address. He lives in a slummy part of Oakland.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:41 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
The Oakland CHP police officer who managed the accident scene called me last night to tell me that it's not their policy to write tickets for accidents or lack of registration or insurance. Kommiefornia!

Ins is trying to total it. Damage they say is $7K. They say value is $8400. Damage is more than 75% so they want to give me the $8400. I didn't ask them what scrap value is that I would have to pay to buy it back. I told them that on KBB, excellent condition with 118K and my dealer options I got $11,089 value in my zipcode. They are going to re-evaluate and if they don't get it out of the 75% then I'll start sending receipts for mods. One shop I trust gave me an estimate for $6200 but that might go up depending on how much they have to tweak the frame. I'm pretty sure whatever is wrong is behind the axle. Does $11K seem like a fair value for excellent condition and 118K miles before mods are added in?

Old 05-30-2016, 06:03 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Dealers and insurance use NADA. You won't get the "excellent value". 90% of year old vehicles don't fall in that category.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:04 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I got 8400 for a 97 f250 single cab 2wd with close to 300k.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:17 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I got about the same as Mike, as for the mods they gave me an extra 10% and I had almost 10K in receipts. My buy back was a low $572.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
They are now giving me value of $11,210 before mods. They are cutting a check for a bit over $6700, which has my $250 deductible already taken out. The body shop who will do the work wrote it up for $6200 so I think it'll turn out OK. My ins also said they could cover a bit more if they find hidden frame damage once they get it on the machine.

The scumbag who hit me still skates from:
DUI
Speeding
Rear ending me
No registration
No insurance

Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Was he an illegal? They seem to get by with more than most.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:28 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
I don't know if he was illegal or not. Having a DL is no proof of citizenship any more! Check from ins is on the way. Today I ordered an Iron Cross rear bumper for $775 (Mem Day Sale) shipped from BuiltForTrucks. Price expires tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:58 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks that it happened to you. And i hate driving that area as well.

As far as the collision. CA law only allows certain officers to issue citations after a collision. He has to be "trained" and certified to be able to issue those. The basic academy (even CHP) doesn't train to those standards. Most departments there don't send there officers there either due to cost and amount of time it takes (have to cover officer's shift etc).

As far as the DUI. Does the report state that FSTs were conducted? If so it should state whether he passed or not. If he is under a .08 there the officer has to prove with other means that he was under the influence (field tests and driving). I would think we can prove driving based on the collision.

As far as the insurance ticket. I would think he could mail the jackass a cite for that

Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Collision
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear that they arent totaling the truck! Makes me happy. I wonder what my truck is actually worth

Quick Reply: 96 Stroker Rear Ended in Berkeley