6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

lpop on the way out???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:26 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
back under the hood.

got the standpipe and oil rail out. Standpipe is not updated, has no teflon backer. going to order them and some injector and nipple cup orings.

anyone use the HHC ones? sounds good anyway.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
They are good,he's on here at FTE. Got custom nipple cups too.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:30 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Used them a few weeks ago...they are the right ones to use.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:47 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
well the truck is running again.

ended up being a combo of 2 injector top orings and nipple cup orings on the driver side.
changed the injector orings without removing them(thanks to youtube and creator)

thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Old 09-30-2016, 03:04 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good news. Can be a bit hard to diagnose for us "part timers" sometimes but well worth the effort and satisfaction.
Appreciate the updates as well, the forum always likes knowing the end result, good-bad, or otherwise. It helps paint a picture for all of us for future issues.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:03 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
well

back at it

Truck ran great for the 1 hour long ride. next day started doing the same thing. Pulled the passenger side valve cover and air tested. had one injector top oring leaking. changed it and all the nipple cup orings. no leaking for about an hour. great.replace the original style standpipe with the updated one and new dummy plug. bottoned it back up took it for a ride. ran better than it ever has . roll into the throttle doing about 25-30 mph and suddenly I'm sideways. never done that before.

then crap. starts doing it again. icp starts dropping ipr goes up truck stalls. wait 20 seconds starts right back up.

if I floor it, it seems fine. I don't hold the pedal down long as it doesn't take long to get to 80 . icp and ipr are normal and no stalling for short high oil demand situations. It seems to do it on longer runs at 1800 rpms or higher. like the reservoir goes dry.

guess I'm taking it back apart.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:28 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
I doubt your sump is running dry, something else is going on here. You must not drive this thing very often
Makes me wonder if there is a fuel delivery issue.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:40 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Originally Posted by navistarnut
I doubt your sump is running dry, something else is going on here. You must not drive this thing very often
Makes me wonder if there is a fuel delivery issue.
Just the way it seems to me. Like letting the water out of the sink just alittle faster than it is filling up. Wait long enough the sink will be empty, short bursts of letting a lot of water out the sink will get low but not empty.

You are right something is else is going on

guess I don't see how the hpop could be failing when it's fine for short max output but can't keep up with long low output.

with the icp dropping off and the ipr maxing out, I don't see a fuel issue. any and all explanations for any of this is truly welcome as I am getting frustrated (as is my wife) spending the bulk of my week under the hood.

thanks

Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
You have the old style pump, standpipes and dummy plugs are the new updated versions. Did all the injector top seals and nipple cups o-rings and have no leaks?

No STC fitting and it's loosing power in the long pull, not short bursts? You can see the ICP drop off and IPR come on asking for more.... that sum it up?

Old 10-17-2016, 09:10 AM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Originally Posted by WatsonR
You have the old style pump, standpipes and dummy plugs are the new updated versions. Did all the injector top seals and nipple cups o-rings and have no leaks?

No STC fitting and it's loosing power in the long pull, not short bursts? You can see the ICP drop off and IPR come on asking for more.... that sum it up?
yes, everything

except I only replaced the injector orings that were leaking. after they were replaced I retested to confirm no leaking.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:17 AM
samsdad02
More Turbo
pulled both valve covers. boroed a scanner to close the ipr. shop air had no leaks at the heads. pulled the oil filter heard a slow bubbling but no air bubbles.

guessing it is hpop.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:19 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Blue spring done? Put a gauge on the fuel, you can borrow it from Advance or Auto Zone, but I don't think that's your issue. I say that because if it was fuel related, that wouldn't command higher ICP/ IPR.

But worth checking to make sure you don't have a restricted fuel line or something like that.

I'm thinking your HPOP is dying. Can you hit near 4000 psi with it or does it run out if steam before then?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:47 AM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Blue spring done? Put a gauge on the fuel, you can borrow it from Advance or Auto Zone, but I don't think that's your issue. I say that because if it was fuel related, that wouldn't command higher ICP/ IPR.

But worth checking to make sure you don't have a restricted fuel line or something like that.

I'm thinking your HPOP is dying. Can you hit near 4000 psi with it or does it run out if steam before then?

did the bb mod awhile ago. Don't think its a fuel issue either.
think the highest I ever saw was about 3600 for the icp.

mechanic friend I borrowed the scanner from thought hpop with the bubbling/gurgling from the oil filter housing.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:53 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
That's what I think as well.
Buy the Adrenaline High Pressure pump to avoid the Ford reman failures with them straight out of the box.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:56 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
That's what I think as well.
Buy the Adrenaline High Pressure pump to avoid the Ford reman failures with them straight out of the box.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems like 90% of the time on these threads with that sound of the gurgle it's the HPOP, or in the case of a later build the STC.

Quick Reply: lpop on the way out???