6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

lpop on the way out???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 05:53 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Bible calls 75PSI on LPO

the problem is as soon as the oil starts warming up the psi goes down. at operataing temp at idle its 15 psi. on the highway it bounces from 20 to 30 psi

Id say its good

BTW the Oil Cooler cover is the LPO Test point

Ever Change you HPOP
4 years old. don't know what brand the mechanic installed. I was wet behind the ears to these motors, didn't know to specify.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:09 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Bible calls it an oil pressure test port in the oil cooler cover Picture#43

ideally you would test at the Oil Pressure Switch location
Maybe that's Not Ideal^^

IDK what one is preferred

Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
A HPO fail can look like LPO Fail

Old 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
bump

finally had time to get it into it this week.

shop air through the icp on the valve cover, 12 volts to the ipr. no air through the oil fill or breather or oil filter housing. a little bit of air through the turbo drain tube.

Haven't seen any info in 2 days of searching about air coming out of the turbo drain tube. I'm guessing the hpop is leaking out an oring???

please, I need opinions. thanks in advance

Old 09-10-2016, 03:43 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
aside from the air leak, I found a broken ground strap on the injector harness. Could that have been causing my intermittent stalling and having the diesel shops computer lose communications?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:19 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
the ground strap that goes to the intake bolt

that may cause stalling

Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 AM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Any opinions on getting 4 years out of a hpop?

Old 09-11-2016, 11:23 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have the early style of late style HPOP?
That will make a big difference. Early build, then very good chance it's bad, late build not so much........failures are rare. You have the wavy oil rails since the ICP in on the valve cover, but since it's an 04 might be the crossover engine with early HPOP.
It it's late build then you might have a bad STC.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:08 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Do you have the early style of late style HPOP?
That will make a big difference. Early build, then very good chance it's bad, late build not so much........failures are rare. You have the wavy oil rails since the ICP in on the valve cover, but since it's an 04 might be the crossover engine with early HPOP.
It it's late build then you might have a bad STC.
Early build , I have the roundish aluminum one. I would have expected to get more than 4 years and 50k miles out of one.

any chime ins on air blowing out the turbo drain during air testing the hpop? Still haven't found anything online about it.

Last edited by samsdad02; 09-11-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-11-2016, 09:18 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by samsdad02
Early build , I have the roundish aluminum one. I would have expected to get more than 4 years and 50k miles out of one.

any chime ins on air blowing out the turbo drain during air testing the hpop? Still haven't found anything online about it.
Lucky you, you have the early pump AND the dummy plugs.....oh well

Don't be too shocked if the HPOP has gone south for the winter.I would suggest spending a little extra scratch and going with the Adrenaline pump.
At any rate you should not have air coming from the return line hole. How long did you leave the shop air on?

Old 09-12-2016, 08:05 AM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Lucky you, you have the early pump AND the dummy plugs.....oh well

Don't be too shocked if the HPOP has gone south for the winter.I would suggest spending a little extra scratch and going with the Adrenaline pump.
At any rate you should not have air coming from the return line hole. How long did you leave the shop air on?
3 times at about 90 seconds each time. Didn't want to cook the ipr.

I will retest it a few more times to make sure the only place is from the turbo drain.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by samsdad02
3 times at about 90 seconds each time. Didn't want to cook the ipr.

I will retest it a few more times to make sure the only place is from the turbo drain.
Leave it hooked up for 10 minutes or longer, just do the IPR a few times. Remember you are checking for leaks on a 4000 psi system with shop air at what, 120 psi?

Have you had the valve covers off? It won't hurt to take them off when doing the air test. With the covers on sometimes things can sound like something else or you might pick up something you would not have, it's up to you. I did an STC last month that I would have sworn was the dummies, R and R'd them only to air test it again, covers off, to find out it was the STC. Dummies were not trashed but really brittle, so it was time for them anyway but it was not the main problem. Truck would start hot prolonged crank most of the time, ran like a top, yet I pulled the fitting apart with my fingers after I took it out. I tested through the ICP as you are.

Have the dummy plugs been done that you know of? It's pretty cheap and easy fix.

My money is on the HPOP, odd are in your favor. It's possible the noise from the turbo drain is your HPOP and the noise is migrating to that spot.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:06 AM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Leave it hooked up for 10 minutes or longer, no IPR activated. You will still backfeed air if there is a leak somewhere else. Remember you are checking for leaks on a 4000 psi system with shop air at what, 120 psi?

Have you had the valve covers off? It won't hurt to take them off when doing the air test. With the covers on sometimes things can sound like something else or you might pick up something you would not have, it's up to you. I did an STC last month that I would have sworn was the dummies, R and R'd them only to air test it again, covers off, to find out it was the STC. Truck would start hot prolonged crank most of the time, ran like a top, yet I pulled the fitting apart with my fingers after I took it out.

Have the dummy plugs been done that you know of? It's pretty cheap and easy fix.
My money is on the HPOP, odd are in your favor.
I'll hook the air back up while I'm getting tools together. Still stripping the stuff in the way off the motor.

I haven't done the dummy plugs since I've owned it about 50k miles. might as well. Going to start a thread on the adrenaline pump, I havent found a lot online about long term use.

thanks Mike

Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
You will be glad you bought the Adrenaline, if I end up doing the kids truck again it will be that one.

You will need either a half inch ext or a 10mm allen to get the old dummies out. New will be a 12mm, 60 ft lbs torque once you get them in.
Don't over torque the valve covers, only 8 ft lbs or 96 inch lbs, in other words a little past snug. They can strip easily, fact is you prolly won't even be able to torque a few of the harder to reach bolts, don't worry about it. Some trucks are missing a bolt here or there and they don't leak from what I have been told.
Gaskets can be used again, just wipe them off good, inspect and use them again, master techs don't replace them either unless damaged

The stand pipes are up to you. You will likely buy the kit that has both, but many techs won't do them unless they are bad, and they seldom go bad. The passenger side stand pipe takes a little more effort, and since they rarely go bad they don't usually get replaced. Dieseltechron has some great videos on all that stuff.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:33 AM
samsdad02
More Turbo
The lawn maintenance people next door finally left. edit:now I can listen for the air leaking

12mm hex head dummy plugs in already.

oil spitting from the top of the 2nd injector back drivers side. Going on to the passenger side now.

Hopefully thats it and the adrenaline can wait

Quick Reply: lpop on the way out???