1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why owning a diesel stresses me out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:48 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1tonner
SO...Do you feel better now or worse?
Better, actually, haha.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:49 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been watching this thread.

A couple of years ago, was my first time owning a diesel. '99 F250 SuperDuty, w/ 7.3 Powerstroke.

I was concerned about that engine and trans, because it had 226,000+ miles on it, when we got it. (Gas engines, I can and have fixed. Diesels..... I don't know "Jack" about 'em!)
I knew the previous owner quite well, and knew how he maintained his "stuff".

Long story short, I repossessed that '99 Powerstroke and sold it, because my son hadn't made but 4 payments to me, in 12 months.

Well, I guess I'm double-stoopid, because about a month ago, I helped him again, get another '99 F250 Superduty, SuperCab, w/ 7.3, but, a shortbed this time.

Again.......... 226,000+ miles. Auto trans. 4x4.
Identical truck to the first one, except it's a shortbed.

I don't worry a bit, about that 7.3.

I learned a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago, from a man far smarter than me:
"IF you worry about something, it's because you have no control over it.
So, IF you don't have control over something........ why worry about it?"

The evening we got it:

Two weeks later:

I think my boy likes to play in the mud.

The first one:

Old 05-24-2016, 04:40 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 374 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by 163junk
Iv'e gotta go get more popcorn.
I agree, need more popcorn and soda pop.

In the end it's all just nuts and bolts. Every type of combustion from coal fired high pressure boilers to lawn mowers and even chainsaws now have emission standards. The core engine works the same. the confusing and scary part is the ancillary components such as fuel and emissions. I see it working in the power industry. Cleaner, more power, less fuel and that's all anyone wants.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
I love doom and gloom threads! Every 6.4 ever on the road self destructs at 150k. Like clockwork!

reps sent

Originally Posted by TooHuge
What did I just read? Sounds like you have an anxiety problem, not a truck problem. lol
I agree.

OP- you are young, learn to maintain it or pay a trusted shop to do just that. I am sure the bugs have been worked out on the engines by now.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:19 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop

reps sent I agree.

OP- you are young, learn to maintain it or pay a trusted shop to do just that. I am sure the bugs have been worked out on the engines by now.
Possibly. It has a DPF delete and the EGR is ?disabled? (Not deleted, still has the EGR coolers). I'm trying to make my engine happy, I.E bigger exhaust for lower EGTs, better intake, oil change interval of 3000 miles and the like.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
Possibly. It has a DPF delete and the EGR is ?disabled? (Not deleted, still has the EGR coolers). I'm trying to make my engine happy, I.E bigger exhaust for lower EGTs, better intake, oil change interval of 3000 miles and the like.
Rather than 3k oil changes, get a black stone report. Which oil and filters are being used is far more important then intervals.

How is the coolant? What is the coolant and engine oil temps?

If you want a happy engine and longevity those are the things to look at.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:49 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Rather than 3k oil changes, get a black stone report. Which oil and filters are being used is far more important then intervals.

How is the coolant? What is the coolant and engine oil temps?

If you want a happy engine and longevity those are the things to look at.
To be completely honest, I have no idea which are the coolant gauges and which are the oil temp gauges, but they're both in the middle, pretty happily I might add. I might get an oil analysis done the next time I change it.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:18 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
To be completely honest, I have no idea which are the coolant gauges and which are the oil temp gauges, but they're both in the middle, pretty happily I might add. I might get an oil analysis done the next time I change it.
Not trying to be an a-hole but... Don't know what the stock gauges mean really? This isn't going to end well for your wallet. With that statement your right to be stressed about owning a diesel especially a 6.4. The dash gauges will give you no useful information anyway and there isn't an oil temp gauge on the dash its oil pressure the dash gauges are what we refer to as idiot lights. He meant what are your temps with and obdii gauge that can read live data from the trucks computer. Your saving grace may be the deletes but you would be wise to find out what tune is on it and if it is a one of the huge 310 hp tunes or something change it to stock with the dpf and egr turned off or a lower power tow tune.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:36 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fancy shmancy pillar gauge pods, something like this ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge or even something like a small tablet with the Torue Pro app https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nded-pids.html (I'm sure someone has 6.4L PIDs) will give good insight.

Of course, remove all the emission stuff, and it'll probably live a long and healthy life and deliver considerably better fuel mileage than stock.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Firekite
Fancy shmancy pillar gauge pods, something like this ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge or even something like a small tablet with the Torue Pro app https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nded-pids.html (I'm sure someone has 6.4L PIDs) will give good insight.

Of course, remove all the emission stuff, and it'll probably live a long and healthy life and deliver considerably better fuel mileage than stock.
A gauge pod is certainly something I would like to add. I'd probably get the coolant temp, EGTs and oil temp. I have no need for the transmission temperature gauge as I never tow anything

Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I never tow anything
Then why the fudge did you buy a diesel?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Then why the fudge did you buy a diesel?
Because getting 19 miles to the gallon is tough in a big gasser. I also love the sound of diesel, you can really feel the power behind them. I admit, I put myself in this predicament, haha.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts
Why buy a diesel?....because I can... which is the reason many of us buy a diesel :-)

Old 05-25-2016, 10:34 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by '65Ford
Why buy a diesel?....because I can... which is the reason many of us buy a diesel :-)
exactly. Took the words right out of my mouth, I just would've been wiser to choose a 7.3

Old 05-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well there you go, if you want a vanity ride, you need to be prepared to pay for your toy when it breaks and not worry about the consequences of your purchase decision. It has been math'ed out many times that the mileage benefits of owning a diesel do not work out in the life expectancy of the vehicle due to the higher initial purchase price and much higher maintenance costs.
Unless you are towing heavy on a regular basis and making money at it, a diesel truck is a waste of money and an expensive toy.
I never figured out how anyone can think a diesel sounds good, especially compared to a gasoline V8. Diesels all sound like they have a spun rod bearing.

Quick Reply: Why owning a diesel stresses me out.