1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why owning a diesel stresses me out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TooHuge
Except for the fact that it says ULSD only right below the odometer... This is just silly.
And of course no one has ever done an engine swap in any truck ever.
Or photoshopped a a picture of something and posted it on Facebook.

But we will never know because there is no documentation on any of that story.

Originally Posted by ssunit1
Seriously?
Ok, so there's your f150, the van and the Chevy tuck. Didn't know of those 3, but I guess there are probably some more out there, probably.
However, there are fewer diesels on the road but far more high mileage. Thinking there are a comparable number of gassers is being naïve.

"Buy what you want and be happy with it". But know what you're getting.
You actually said "you are not aware of gasoline engines that go multi hundreds of thousands of miles" = naive on your part.

I provided a HIGHER mileage example with documentation than the "somebody's uncle saw this on Facebook" example you cited. You have already confessed your ignorance on the subject now you are really proving how little you know.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Exclamation

Ooooookay folks. We're not turning this into a gas vs. diesel thread, we've had a million of them. The OP started this thread about the concerns he has about his engine, so let's get back to that please.

The thing that scares me the most about a modern diesel out of warranty is how challenging they can be to work on. I've owned 6.4L and 6.7L trucks, and I wouldn't own either of them out of warranty. I'm a pretty handy guy, but I'd be a bit nervous about some of the things that could go catastrophically wrong. I get it.

DieselCamper has an extended warranty though, and you can buy a lot of engine work for the $9K maximum. I wouldn't stress with that warranty...hopefully he'll need a full rebuild down the line paid for with that warranty. Then he has less to worry about!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:09 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom
Ooooookay folks. We're not turning this into a gas vs. diesel thread, we've had a million of them. The OP started this thread about the concerns he has about his engine, so let's get back to that please.

The thing that scares me the most about a modern diesel out of warranty is how challenging they can be to work on. I've owned 6.4L and 6.7L trucks, and I wouldn't own either of them out of warranty. I'm a pretty handy guy, but I'd be a bit nervous about some of the things that could go catastrophically wrong. I get it.

DieselCamper has an extended warranty though, and you can buy a lot of engine work for the $9K maximum. I wouldn't stress with that warranty...hopefully he'll need a full rebuild down the line paid for with that warranty. Then he has less to worry about!
Absolutely! I hope I do too, haha. It covers all failures due to internally lubricated parts so I'm assuming that's quite a bit, haha.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:15 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with Tom .... haha, but let's do something else .... haha, lets put this thread out to pasture cuzz it's going nowhere.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:34 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Agreed. Maybe a thread entitled "Why Diesel is better and lasts longer" is something to consider.
Anyway, I agree with Tom and DC that we're getting off track.
As I see it the problem is complexity.
I am moderately mechanically inclined but I don't have a diagnostic computer to tell me where to use the thingamagig to fix the whatsitcalled.
Maintain the warranty, get the extended if you're going to keep it, even if it is a gasser, follow the maintenance schedule, sleep better, be less stressed and enjoy whatever the heck sort of Ridgeline you drive...