1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 6.2L Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:15 AM
Unclemark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody used the magnaflow kit#19174? I've been looking at the two avaiable kits frkm them but I'm not certain what the biggest difference between the side exit and the before the axle dump kit is. I assume the dump will be a louder kit and just how loud is the side exit kit. I dont want a realy loud system.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
I think that may be a waste of time/$. The resonators are basically a straight-thru muffler with small baffles. You would be replacing one with another. I would eliminate the small one first and see if it adds enough sound for you.
My other suggestion would be to check out Raptor forums and see what has worked on their 6.2's.
Thanks man, you make a good point. I wasn't sure how much more restrictive the resonator was compared to a straight through muffler, I'm all about saving money ha. I should've gone ahead and had my muffler shop remove the small one initially, think I'll go ahead and do that. If it's still not enough I'll read up on what the Raptor guys have done, good advice

Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Unclemark
Has anybody used the magnaflow kit#19174? I've been looking at the two avaiable kits frkm them but I'm not certain what the biggest difference between the side exit and the before the axle dump kit is. I assume the dump will be a louder kit and just how loud is the side exit kit. I dont want a realy loud system.
Dumping the exhaust allows the exhaust fumes to be closer to inside your cab.
Also, when the exhaust is pointing to the ground it blows up the dust or dirt under the truck. Then theres the potential of louder droning inside the cab.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:15 AM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Unclemark
I don't have experience with that kit as I only replaced with a magnaflow muffler, but since it removes both resonators and just has the magnaflow muffer I'd say the side exit would be plenty loud. You'd probably have more cab noise with it dumped, just your preference. That's a nice kit and if I wasn't a tight wad I probably would have done it.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:29 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jwilso98
Thanks man, you make a good point. I wasn't sure how much more restrictive the resonator was compared to a straight through muffler, I'm all about saving money ha. I should've gone ahead and had my muffler shop remove the small one initially, think I'll go ahead and do that. If it's still not enough I'll read up on what the Raptor guys have done, good advice
I have been wanting to try removing both resonators and the muffler, and replace all that with the quietest MagnaFlow muffler I can get. I also would try to exit the exhaust in front of the tire like some Raptors.
I removed the muffler on my current 6.2 and bent a piece of 3" to turn out at the tire. It sounded pretty good, just a little too much drone for me. My thought was the muffler does more than the resonators so next time I will keep a muffler and delete the resonators.
I just want a tad more V8 rumble with no drone.....

Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 AM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
I have been wanting to try removing both resonators and the muffler, and replace all that with the quietest MagnaFlow muffler I can get. I also would try to exit the exhaust in front of the tire like some Raptors.
I removed the muffler on my current 6.2 and bent a piece of 3" to turn out at the tire. It sounded pretty good, just a little too much drone for me. My thought was the muffler does more than the resonators so next time I will keep a muffler and delete the resonators.
I just want a tad more V8 rumble with no drone.....
Yea I used muffler 12578 which is the biggest you can get in 5x11 with 3in/3out and thought would be the quietest but still have enough sound, obviously it's too quiet. I do not want any drone and that's why I wanted to keep the big resonator. You're making me think about just removing it completely and just putting pipe in place, do you think it would be too much and have drone?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:55 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
I really don't know. I figured I would be taking a shot in the dark at it, as to the final sound. I think there are a few guys in the 6.2 section that may have removed both resonators at some point. I don't know if Raptors had that same large 2 into 1 resonator?.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
As I've mentioned in the past my truck has the large resonator and the cats removed. It was then custom tuned and I'm very happy with th sound. Not raspy like some cat deletes are and not to loud as I pull horses around a lot with it. I know many cant/don't like to remove cats but if you read about any of the more serious builds on a raptor.....you'll see the light, through your half plugged cat lol. Recall the recent thread in the 6.2 section where the guys entire bank of the motor wouldn't even fire because the cat had grenaded.

I'm happy with my exhaust the way it is, cheap and easy and far from a factory sound. Turns heads and spreads grins at WOT.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Squisher
As I've mentioned in the past my truck has the large resonator and the cats removed. It was then custom tuned and I'm very happy with th sound. Not raspy like some cat deletes are and not to loud as I pull horses around a lot with it. I know many cant/don't like to remove cats but if you read about any of the more serious builds on a raptor.....you'll see the light, through your half plugged cat lol. Recall the recent thread in the 6.2 section where the guys entire bank of the motor wouldn't even fire because the cat had grenaded.

I'm happy with my exhaust the way it is, cheap and easy and far from a factory sound. Turns heads and spreads grins at WOT.
Good info. How is the drone, especially when pulling a grade? And do you have the factory muffler still? Thanks!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Factory muffler and small resonator still. No drone whatsoever or my wife would be whining. Extremely quiet in the cab. It's a little rank sounding for the first 30 seconds or so on a cold start but then quiets right down. I pull a three horse bumper pull loaded up around 8-9k two to three times a week. Generally when driving or towing alone I open the rear slider to be able to hear the exhaust note a bit better. With the wife/daughter on board I close it and it's quite quiet. At WOT from 4000rpm up it sounds awesome. Racetruck lol. My best bud has nicknamed it the fordrarri. Flamesuit on for the ricer comments. Lol. It don't bother me none. I know my truck sounds good by the amount of strangers its inspired to come up and ask me about it.

It also kicks a nice little bit of rumble on a warm start. Kinda just enough that anyone with an eye/ear for vehicles goes 'ok, now that's not stock'.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:56 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Cool. Based your experience I would venture to say that a muffler with both resonators gone and keeping the cats should be a nice sound without much drone. Then from that point, one could modify the sound by changing different muffler types.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Ime with the exhaust on this truck I'd experiment with removing components one at a time from the factory setup until you get a sound you're happy with. Certainly before buying aftermarket parts. Just my .02.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:31 AM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Thanks fellas. You both just sold me on removing the large resonator! Going to see when I can get back in the shop

Old 06-10-2016, 12:32 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Sweet, let us know your thoughts once you try it. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2016, 04:57 PM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Thanks, will do. Getting it done Monday morning.

Quick Reply: 2015 6.2L Exhaust Help