6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012 F250 Spitting and sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:59 AM
RFontenot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 F250 Spitting and sputtering

Hi there, I posted this in the wrong place last night as well as gave the wrong L size. Hopefully someone can be of assistance. My son has a 2012 F250 King Ranch, 6.7 L.

Little info:

Last Friday the inter-cooler hose blew. We changed the hose this past Saturday. The truck ran great all weekend. Last night leaving for work it started to sputter and then died. Got the truck to crank, ran great no sputter, but something under the hood sounded off. We drove it all the way back home. Killed it, re-cranked it, everything was fine.

This morning cranked the truck, ran fine for 5 min then died and would not crank. We decided it needed new fuel filters. Replaced the fuel filters, truck now cranks and idles great.

When you mash the gas at it revs up then sputters like it would die, when you let off the accelerator it catches up and idles fine again. It cant be too much wrong, it ran great all weekend.

He is at his wits end with this. Can someone offer some insight on this please?

Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM
RFontenot
New User
Does no one have any ideas? Please someone

Old 05-17-2016, 06:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
EGR valve or injector issues.

Can you scan for codes? Any check engine or wrench lights?

Could also be air in the fuel system from the new filters. Did you use OEM fuel filters?

Verify the lower one on the frame rail is completed seated. May need to pull it verify.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:22 PM
RFontenot
New User
The check engine came on, but we cant drive it to check the codes.

He got the fuel filters at O'Reilley's, idk if they are OEM

The truck had been deleted before he bought it. Would the EGR still be a problem?

we will have to pull the bottom filter to check it. Hopefully we can do that tomorrow.

Since I have posted this earlier, when I crank the truck and rev the engine it sputters and wants to die. Instead of picking back up when letting off the fuel it dies.

After this it will not crank without key cycling the 6 times.

I sure hope its not an injector, we want be able to fix that anytime soon. I am really hoping to find a simple solution since the truck has been running so good.

Could an injector go out without any notice or symptoms?

Old 05-18-2016, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Put in OEM filters, I believe you have a bunch of air and don't have it sealed.

The rail mounted filter has a positive stop so you need to have it on all the way.

There is also an o ring for the cap. Lube it was diesel motor oil before putting the cap back on.

This sounds to be your problem.

Just because the DPF was deleted does not mean the EGR was, you will have to verify. But that does not appear to be your issue. I think it is the filters.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 PM
RFontenot
New User
Senix

The check engine light when off this morning it went off by itself. We have never been able to get somewhere to read the code. Now its off and we cant read what it was.

It OEM filters

My son has had a death in his girlfriends family, and has not been able to see about it. I would like to remove the fuel filters and reattach encase the system is getting air. Unfortunately I had surgery and at this time I cant get out there and get under it. I have just been going out there to re-crank it periodically to keep things moving. When it dies out after sputtering I have to key cycle the 6 times to get it restarted.

If that is the case this occurred during the filter change. It does not explain what caused the sputter to begin with.

Will post an update as soon as I can get the filters redone.

Thanks so for, for the help.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:19 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like air is getting into the system and fuel starving the motor... I'm with Senix here. Check all the fuel filter connections, the one under the hood and the driver's side frame rail. Usually the one down under is the culprit.

You can enter engineering mode to pull constant DTCs. Hold the down arrow and then turn, but don't start (or crank) the motor while holding the down arrow on the steering wheel. You can start the truck in this mode, but you have to hesitate at KOEO. I assume you have the productivity screen. If you have an XL or XLT trim without it, not sure how to get into engineering mode. This isn't as good as a scanner -- but if you have a hard code it should be there.

You can scroll through various engineering screens with the arrow buttons too. IIRC, you can only go one direction through the various screens.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by RFontenot
Senix

The check engine light when off this morning it went off by itself. We have never been able to get somewhere to read the code. Now its off and we cant read what it was.

It OEM filters

My son has had a death in his girlfriends family, and has not been able to see about it. I would like to remove the fuel filters and reattach encase the system is getting air. Unfortunately I had surgery and at this time I cant get out there and get under it. I have just been going out there to re-crank it periodically to keep things moving. When it dies out after sputtering I have to key cycle the 6 times to get it restarted.

If that is the case this occurred during the filter change. It does not explain what caused the sputter to begin with.

Will post an update as soon as I can get the filters redone.

Thanks so for, for the help.
Ok, over in the general diesel discussion thread, youstated that your sons girlfriend put gas in the tank, but that it was taken care of. Just what did "taken care of" entail? Was the truck started with gasoline n the fuel tank? Or was it hauled directly to a shop and the fuel system drained and cleaned before starting? Or was the entire fuel system replaced?

Old 05-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
That adds a new element to troubleshooting.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
Ok, over in the general diesel discussion thread, youstated that your sons girlfriend put gas in the tank, but that it was taken care of. Just what did "taken care of" entail? Was the truck started with gasoline n the fuel tank? Or was it hauled directly to a shop and the fuel system drained and cleaned before starting? Or was the entire fuel system replaced?
I already chimed into his other thread asking exactly the same question as you've asked above.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I already chimed into his other thread asking exactly the same question as you've asked above.
And evidntly he does not want to come back and answer either one of us!

Old 05-20-2016, 08:19 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Complex troubles, seems like a trip to the dealer is in order. Sometimes, when you don't have the expertise, you just need to write the big check to get things fixed. Good luck though.

Bruce...

Old 05-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Or even write a little check for their troubleshooting...

Old 05-20-2016, 01:00 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Or even write a little check for their troubleshooting...
Good point...

Old 05-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
I just wish he would come back and let us know what is happening!

Quick Reply: 2012 F250 Spitting and sputtering