Sound Dampening

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:04 AM
shermy452
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Dampening

Hi everyone.
Looking to really get my cab as quiet as possible. Any suggestions? I'm talking as good as it can get. Its a daily driver. I have a 1979 f100. I was looking into dynamating the whole thing. Which brings me to my next point. I saw DynaDeck, and it looks pretty neat. I was wondering if anyone has the cab dim. for the inside of a 1979 single cab. The dynadeck comes in 3 options. 54 wide by 3ft, 6ft, and 9ft. I was thinkin the cab from front to back can't be more than 6. but i was wondering if 3 is a possibility. Thanks everyone

Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Theres a few threads on this. One that I saw good reviews on was the stick on material then a supercab carpet. The guy laid the carpet down as usual then the rest of it he fit up behind the seat. Doing the inside of the doors helps a lot as well the firewall as far up as you can get. Above the headliner will add some too. New door seals will help also if you add some underhood insulation and rhino-line (or equivalent) the underside of the truck. Also putting insulation on the bottom side of the transmission cover helps too.
dyno-mat muder-mat, amazon/ebay knockoffs all work well.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Beechkid
Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
fyi- most of the aftermarket sound insulation products are asphault or stryene based...both will ignite easily (from an engine compartment fire) and I have seen more than one vehicle that if they didn't have thiese products installed could have been saved (so to speak)......these materials when heated revert to their original composition.......hydrocarbon based....it's like pouring gasoline all over the inside of your vehicle.

IMHO, I would look at something in the ceramic line, such as lizard skin, etc.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:31 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
fyi- most of the aftermarket sound insulation products are asphault or stryene based...both will ignite easily (from an engine compartment fire) and I have seen more than one vehicle that if they didn't have thiese products installed could have been saved (so to speak)......these materials when heated revert to their original composition.......hydrocarbon based....it's like pouring gasoline all over the inside of your vehicle.

IMHO, I would look at something in the ceramic line, such as lizard skin, etc.

good tip reps inbound

Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 AM
axidjw
Elder User
working in the car audio world as a youth, i can attest for dynamat going up into smoke if you get it near excessive heat. It has gotten better over the years though. I just recently did mine, inside cab from firewall to the rear of cab. I also did roof above headliner and inside of both doors, then covered it all in fabric. One thing that will help prevent this is go buy heat primer spray. Its used for headers and engine, comes in usual grey, white, black colors. Clean all teh surfaces and spray your entire skin inside thats going to get sound deadning material. This will all but take that worry away from you. Do this especially for the firewall inside the cab and the tranny tunnel. Doing this and putting in good new rubbers for the windows and doors(is key) you then readjsut your doors to the new rubber kits. I have to say its a world of differance. I daily drive mine as well and although your not going to get rid of all road noise and exhaust noise, its def more tolerable and if i let off the gas going down the highway(open headers) i just hear a small whisper of wind. This not the cheapest thing in the world to do but if your going to spend money on a daily, this is where you want to do it..haha
A new rubber gasket kit for the cab can cost upwards of $400 for everything and then about $300 for sound deadining and about another $50 for the heat paint.. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2016, 03:28 PM
shermy452
Freshman User
This is all good to hear. I love different views. I was going to dynamat because it looked honestly the easiest to use. THe heat primer spray i've heard of. I thought about doing this. Any other suggestions are welcomed. Any idea on hood insulations. And axifjw, where did you grab the door gasket.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:38 PM
shermy452
Freshman User
i've also heard of quiet solutions. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:28 PM
skeeter1971
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This is what i used and works great. Very good with heat. They are a Texas based company and they know a thing or two about the heat we get down south. https://gtsoundcontrol.com/shop/GTMAT-110-MIL/

Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 PM
march
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I suggest a little reading on the subject. https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Steven@nd
Elder User
I used the GT Mat on my roof above the headliner and it made a world of difference... I have more to do the floor, back of the cab, and also a carpet kit coming with more insulation.

New window seals going in as well, and I will probably put the GT Mat in the doors too when I install the speakers.

The GT Mat is more affordable than Dynamat.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:59 PM
lxlmariuslxl
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used both spray in bedliner and dyna mat. The bedliner reduced both noise and heat along with taking a lot of the reverb from the panels. Its all I will use now. Just dont fall for that duraliner crap make sure it is a good 2 part system and you will not regret it!! I sprayed the firewall, floors, roof, inside doors and replaced the weather stripping, Man what a difference!!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:05 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by shermy452
This is all good to hear. I love different views. I was going to dynamat because it looked honestly the easiest to use. THe heat primer spray i've heard of. I thought about doing this. Any other suggestions are welcomed. Any idea on hood insulations. And axifjw, where did you grab the door gasket.
I got the entire door/glass kit from lmctruck.com. their catalog is huge, especially for all the small tiddly bits.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So, everything in your truck is made of carbon. Even the steel is made of carbon. So don't let that scare you off. However, some of the generic products may be less heat resistant and so if you choose to use them, you may want to be judicious in your placement of them. I think the padding and rubber firewall mats that Jeff's Bronco and probably lmc and the rest sell are really effective on the firewall, and the most effective on the floor pans are the heaviest options you can find. It's a big panel and it takes a lot of mass to load it down.

Even with new seals and sound deadening, they will never be as quiet as a new truck because the windows are thinner, the engines themselves are louder, and the trucks are less aerodynamic. But you can get a lot of quiet for your money. One word of caution about lizard skin is that it takes several layers to be effective and it's expensive. It does a good job against heat though. My 2 cents is 2 part epoxy bedline the top and bottom of the floor boards, replace the door rubber, and you'll be more than halfway there.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:38 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a big fat roll of the peel-n-seal from the local Home depot. I covered the inside of both my doors with it and it sure seem to help. When I finally get around to replacing my floorboards, it will go down there as well. I've had no issue with any smell either. Stuff sticks well and does the job and it a fraction of the stuff from car audio shops and is not as expensive or messy as any spray on product.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:09 PM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used the Ultimate in mine, was affordable. Works great.
http://www.b-quiet.com/

Quick Reply: Sound Dampening