1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Sleeper dually build?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bigger injector doesn't always mean less mpg. My buddies truck larger injectors plus a few supporting mods. When his tuner is on "economy" he actually gets less fuel economy than when it's in "extreme" mode.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
So I'm looking at this E-fuel kit from Strictly diesel.
https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-343...el-system.aspx

It says the system supports up to "about a 160cc injector." Does that mean I'd have to go with a larger pump or one of their other kits from the 238/100s? The other kits unfortunately though say that it eliminates the selector switch meaning that I'd have to go with a larger tank or get an in bed tank.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:16 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordman96

It says the system supports up to "about a 160cc injector." Does that mean I'd have to go with a larger pump or one of their other kits from the 238/100s? The other kits unfortunately though say that it eliminates the selector switch meaning that I'd have to go with a larger tank or get an in bed tank.
I can't comment on that exact kit . I built my own kit that is very similar in form and function.
I'm using a gsl392 pump wich is a 255lph pump. Though I have not turned my chip up to the higher settings I have seen no pressure drop when pulling hard on our camper. Gabe had 238s and has an irate kit and 2 tanks.

I personally think with a proper pump you will be just fine.
But what do I know?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
But what do I know?

A little of this....
a little of that....

and a whole bunch more...

Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the kit I used. Awesome customer service and I got a free t-shirt (College kid coming out of me again lol)

The only thing is you have to pull the turbo to get to the back of the fuel rails to replace the fittings back there. This is good because it replaces the leak-prone banjo bolt, but bad because you have to pull the turbo. I got a deleted pedestal and removed my EBPV at the same time, so the turbo pull was not a complete waste of time. Plan on at least two and a half days of steady working on the truck to get the kit completely installed.

This kit also incorporates a bracket that allows for a second pump to be installed. Basically, you can run with one pump until it doesn't satisfy your needs, and then buy an expansion kit to upgrade to a dual pump setup. Pretty slick if you ask me.

Another thing to note about this kit is the wiring harness is completely preassembled with a couple all-weather plugs here and there. The filters also do not hang below the frame rail hardly at all. I was worried about catching a rock with my filters and getting stranded if I were to ever take my truck offroad, but I was able to find a place on the DS frame rail where the bracket fit tucked up nicely behind the transfer case. The slide plate even covers some of the post pump filter.

I can post some installed pictures later if you want.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:29 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Bigger injector doesn't always mean less mpg. My buddies truck larger injectors plus a few supporting mods. When his tuner is on "economy" he actually gets less fuel economy than when it's in "extreme" mode.

If you are running 238s the stock pump will not cut it. Run a Bosh 044 or Walbro GSL 392... I had bad luck with the 044s. What size injector are you running. Size your kit for the setup.

No need to run an in bed tank. Put together your own plumping to keep both tanks or get rid of the front tank and drop in the 38 gallon rear tank and keep it simple with a single tank.

I have installed quite a few Driven/Strictly Diesels setups and they are by far the best out there I have touched. Well thought through.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Right now the truck is stock minus a 6637 air intake and a CTS extreme tune.

I'm wanting to run the 238/100s, but I think I might do the 38 gallon mod (was researching that a year ago, but got a bit lost on it) or do the e-fuel before the injectors. Kind of a "precaution" sort of thing. Like e-fuel, built trans, guages, before I throw the power at it... Idk how to explain my thinking behind it.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:05 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
If you are not doing it all at once get the supporting items done first before dropping in the power makers. For 238s I'd run a 369sxe or even go to a 4 series charger to prevent heat issues if towing very heavy. I have heard some say a 38r will do the job. I can't say it won't as I have never messed with that combo, just looking at turbine curves, I would lean towards no if you plan on towing.

The 369 is pretty impressive turbo for mid size sticks. I'm sold on it so far for what we have seen fooling around with on two different trucks with 1.0 housings and a one off H2E hybrid 1.15 housing. I have a 366, with a .91 housing, and I am planning to retain the exhaust side or switch to a 1.0 and keep the original center cartridge, and pop the new wheel on there with the new front cover if doable... not sure if its doable but I do not see why it can be done.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Alright so I'm having a little trouble following.

Yes I understand what you said about a 369 or 4 series turbo, but with yours you are talking about putting your guts inside a larger housing? While retaining the same exhaust housing?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Borg Warner S300SX 91S72 S366 S300SX-E 91S75 S369

Read this.

The 366 and 369 use the same size turbine wheel and center cartridge. I have not pursued it much, but that being said a 69mm wheel and new front cover should bolt right up to the 366 for 15lb/min of flow. Worth it? Hell yes!

Old 05-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
So the claim is that the 369 turbo can support a 1000whp truck since it can push near 100lbs of air. This would mean it's easily efficient enough for my setup provided that I have the proper supporting mods.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:45 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
So the claim is that the 369 turbo can support a 1000whp truck since it can push near 100lbs of air. This would mean it's easily efficient enough for my setup provided that I have the proper supporting mods.
Not quite, the hp ratings they base these off are for gasoline motors. Diesel is a different ball game. It will work well with 238/100s, start going bigger fuel a 4 series is your only option to keep it cool when towing... Or detune your fuel.

Do not confuse lb/min with psi of boost :-)

Set a hp goal and build towards it slowly or take out a loan to get it done fast. Educate yourself by researching and reading or you will build a time bomb.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Ahh very well then. I'm trying to do research, but a 6-6 job here in the Corps is a bit of a time eater.

More research is needed before non supporting mods start.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Looking at a 6.0 intercooler with pipes for $300 back home. Just have to buy the e99 spider intake.

Also there is a 08+ 250 here with a shot motor I might see if the guy is interested in selling. It's a king ranch so I'd take the axles and interior and I don't know what else off it.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:14 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Little background:
Last year I bought my '97 F-350 4door dually. $9,000 with 127k on the clock! I'm the third owner, never seen a winter in its life. Used to for a few months as a work truck, stored it for winter, joined the military, dad used it, now I got it back after almost 8 months with 138k on her.

My buddy recently bought a '03 5 speed 5.9 Cummins pushing 530/1100 HP/tq. He let me drive her and borrow his tuner on my truck. Well the tuner woke her up some so now I'm really itching to build the 7.3.

She's going to mostly a DD, and hauler of a 40' car trailer when needed. Maybe a 1/4 mile and a truck pull here and there, but she's mostly going to be babied. I'm looking to try (TRY) and push somewhere between 550 and 650 HP. BTS trans (unless otherwise recommend,) and maybe a 4x4 conversion.

The plan is to buy a junkyard motor, build it, swap it in a weekend so the truck isn't down for too long.

My question is where to start.
Forged rotating assembly?
forged push rods.
ARP head studs
S366? Turbo
Unknown injector size
Cam?
T500 Hpop
E-fuel
Aftermarket exhaust (4" DP?)
upgraded cooling system
Guages
CTS tuner?
Anything else?

I understand this might sound a little far fetched or dumb, but I'm just looking for some guidance in the right direction. It's either this or another bronco haha
Please explain to me how you got a tuner for a dodge to work on a PSD ?

Quick Reply: Sleeper dually build?