Sponsored by: Moser

ignition timing after rebuild 351m

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:45 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ignition timing after rebuild 351m

Over the winter, I rebuilt the engine in the 78 F-150 4WD 351M C6.

I installed a:
  • Summit RV Cam
  • Summit double-roller timing set with straight-up timing
  • Ford 400 heads
  • Edelbrock Performer intake
  • Holley 4 barrel vacuum secondaries - 600 cfm.
Once back together, I set the ignition timing to spec, and it ran like crap! I then adjusted the ignition timing with a vacuum gauge and tach, and recorded the following values:

0 TDC 7-8" 530 RPM Unstable
10 BTC 11" 650 RPM Unstable
15 BTC 12" 740 RPM Unstable
20 BTC 13" 800 RPM Unstable
25 BTC 14" 850 RPM
30 BTC 15" 900 RPM
35 BTC 15" 940 RPM Unstable
40 BTC 15" 940 RPM Unstable
45 BTC 14" 900 RPM Unstable
50 BTC 14" 900 RPM Unstable

I then reset the ignition timing to 27.5, and adjusted the idle speed. Repeated the process:

22.5 BTC 14" 640 RPM Unstable
25.0 BTC 14" 640 RPM
27.5 BTC 14" 680 RPM Best Response, Runs like a beast!
30.0 BTC 15" 700 RPM
32.5 BTC 14" 700 RPM Unstable

After a week, I repeated the test. Same results. Truck runs great, plugs look good, truck starts quickly and there is no pinging on acceleration (preignition?). There is, however, a ticking sound on DEceleration - I think it's an exhaust leak but haven't found it yet.

I realize I'm outside the realm of factory spec with this build, but doesn't 28 degrees seem a bit "off"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Old 04-13-2016, 01:32 PM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I am guessing you had the vacuum advance hooked up during your observations? Otherwise if not hooked up yes those numbers are high.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:58 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

I'm pretty sure I had the vacuum advance from the carb to the distributor disconnected, and plugged. But I'll re-check this weekend.

Thanks for the reminder!

Gary

Old 04-14-2016, 05:56 AM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your timing marks could be off... sometimes the damper ring slips or other problems. Suggest you check TDC with the positive stop method. The basic process is outlined in the link.

Once you know where true TDC is on the damper, you can get more accurate timing and trouble shooting.

How to find true TDC - Shoptalkforums.com

Old 04-14-2016, 07:04 AM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agree with all the above...also, are you running manifold or ported vacuum when checked?

And, I have found that a "bigger" cam likes more initial, no matter what size.

I would do what Blue and White suggests first, then check the rest

Old 11-12-2016, 10:06 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Last month, I pulled the engine. When putting everything back together, I lifted the engine by putting a block under the harmonic balancer and used a floor jack. The outer ring of the harmonic balancer came completely off the inner hub, so it's possible that it had slipped when I had lifted the engine previously

When I had the engine out, I verified the straight-up timing, and installed a new harmonic balancer. I re-timed the engine, using a vacuum gauge and tach, and it still runs best at about 26 degrees

When setting the timing, I had the vacuum to the distributor disconnected and plugged. The rest of the time, the distributor gets ported vacuum off the carb. I used full manifold vacuum for the testing

I know the 351m family had the timing retarded several times over the life of the engine. Is it possible that the timing marks are set to account for the retarded timing, and my straight-up timing set has negated the factory mods?

i don't worry about it anymore, but I am curious about it

Old 11-12-2016, 11:00 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
NO, the timing chain sprocket just sets the timing of the camshaft in relation to the crank shaft. The timing marks on the harmonic balancer are timing in respect to piston position on #1. TDC on the HB is TDC of #1 no matter how you set the cam timing with the chain set (assuming the HB is marked correctly and outer ring hasn't slipped).

re Ign Timing:
Mine has a quick advance kit in my distributor so to make sure that's not affecting my overall timing in a detrimental way, I block vacuum, set timing at 34-35 degrees BTDC with rpms elevated where the centrifugal is all in ..... so max is 34-35 degrees under load / no vacuum. Then I let her back to idle, pull plug on vacuum and hook up to ported.

If I were to attempt setting at idle and any centrifugal is maybe in, my totals would be less at WOT and a matter of luck.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:26 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

I think I have the original distributor. Would the springs weaken over 38 years and allow the centrifugal weights to change the advance at low RPMs-say 800ish? How could I check?

Old 11-12-2016, 07:19 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PapaBearYuma
I think I have the original distributor. Would the springs weaken over 38 years and allow the centrifugal weights to change the advance at low RPMs-say 800ish? How could I check?
OEM springs were pretty stiff compared to the quick advance kit. You could pull the vac hose and plug it, put a light on the timing marks and watch for when it starts to advance and when it stops (rpm) as you slowly bring rpms up from low idle.
Mine is all in pretty early, before 2,000 anyway.
Back in the day shops had distributor machines that let you chuck a distributor in it and check such things, adjust, etc .... hard to find now.

Even if your's is totally stock, you can still set timing at a total with vacuum plugged as I did, then simply hook vacuum back up. 351M or 400 s don't like over about 34-35 degrees BTC under WOT.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
The vacuum method is a good way to double check timing.

That said, if she runs best with 24 degrees advance at idle measured with timing light, something is off. Even with a hot racing cam 20 degrees should be plenty. OE was 8-12 degrees.

Even if the vacuum advance is fast/early 24 degrees measured at idle is far more than normal... however it got there.

As posted, full mechanical advance should not be more than 34-36 degrees (3000 RPM, vacuum advance disconnected).

I have seen more than 10 degrees error using a replacement timing cover and pointer. Or maybe the damper is off. Or the timing chain is off a tooth or two.

I think it is worth re-checking TDC with the positive stop method.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:22 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

thanks for the suggestions!

I'll get a TDC tool and check for actual TDC.

The harmonic balancer is now, but reads the same as the original. I took a picture last week of the timing set (dots point at each other) and that's good

Could this be a symptom of the distributor being off by a tooth? I don't think it is, but I guess it could be. The vacuum can is in the correct general location

Old 11-12-2016, 09:49 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
I have seen more than 10 degrees error using a replacement timing cover and pointer. Or maybe the damper is off. Or the timing chain is off a tooth or two.
I think you maybe didn't mean that like it come across .... whether a timing chain is off or dead on (or even whether present or not as in building a bottom end on a stand) has nothing to do with the alignment of timing pointer to harmonic balancer when #1 is at true TDC. The timing chain only affects the timing of cam shaft (valve events) in relation to crankshaft position. Even ignition timing is set by the HB-pointer relationship independent of how the cam is timed.

I think it is worth re-checking TDC with the positive stop method.
Any time in doubt, that's the way to check it for sure ....
.... but it can be checked with some degree of accuracy with plugs out and a depth gage of sorts inserted through the plug hole with care to determine when #1 is really at TDC.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:09 AM
Blue and White
Postmaster
T bear,

As far as the pointer goes, if it is in the wrong position, it can show 20 degrees advance, for example when the true value is 10 degrees. The pointer is just pointing to the wrong location. I have had this problem. Variations in the damper can cause the same problem. With factory tolerances plus re-pop parts the errors can stack up pretty fast.

If cam timing is off, the engine usually wants different ignition timing to run somewhat decently. In this case the pointer/damper could be correct and the engine just wants unusual timing.

Two situations that could apply.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:51 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Blue and White
T bear,

As far as .... etc ....
Reread my post ...... I think you misread it the first time.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:44 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Well, I don't yet have a TDC tool, but I used a long 3/8" drive extension in the plug hole while a (very carefully) rotated the engine. Watching the pointer, and loosely supporting the extension, I could no longer determine upward movement after about 3 degrees BTDC. And I could feel the tool start to drop around 3 ATDC. Granted, it's not as good as a TDC tool, but I think I can rule out a very large discrepancy

i drove it quite a bit yesterday (to Mexico for tacos) and noticed the idle was getting rough. This morning, I found a leak on the climate control vacuum tube. Fixed that and all is well

i broke out the digital tach and distributor wrench and set the timing to factory spec. Of course, had to adjust the idle speed. And yes, disconnected and plugged the ported vacuum while setting.

as a test, I couldn't see any appreciable advance at low RPMs, so I don't think there's an issue with the advance coming in too soon

i reset the distributor to the factory spec, and the idle speed under full electrical and a/c load, and went for a drive. Runs great!

By the way, here's #1 plug:

Quick Reply: ignition timing after rebuild 351m