1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear shifter and OD issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Donebrokeit
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gear shifter and OD issues

I am having a bit of an issue with my new to me 2002 F350 V10 Ford, I have noticed a few times in the when taking off (first time after being parked)the truck will not shift into over drive unless I cycle the button on the shifter, after that the OD seems to work fine for the rest of the trip. Second thing I noticed is the "OD" light on the end of the shifter will come on at times (indicating the OD is off) even when the truck is in over drive, wiggling the shifter makes the light go out and the truck will not change gears.

Would a new gear shifter fix this as it is a bit sloppy?

Thanks, Paul

Old 04-12-2016, 08:56 AM
firebirdparts
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These trucks tend to wear the insulation off the wires going up into the shifter. They start shoring to ground right at the base of the shifter. That is not too bad to fix. Sounds like you have intermittent ground on the wire coming from the switch to the ECU. I had the opposite problem - hot wire was grounding and this popped a fuse on my truck.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Donebrokeit
New User
Thanks for the info, I will take a look at the wiring tonight.

Paul

Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Donebrokeit
New User
Fire bird, you were spot on, pulled the cover off and sure enough the wires were rubbed through the rubber coating at the base of the shifter, put some tape on the bare wires for now. I am going to order a new shifter and pin tomorrow to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks, Paul

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
These trucks tend to wear the insulation off the wires going up into the shifter. They start shoring to ground right at the base of the shifter. That is not too bad to fix. Sounds like you have intermittent ground on the wire coming from the switch to the ECU. I had the opposite problem - hot wire was grounding and this popped a fuse on my truck.