2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 F150 Premature Rust (less than 200 Miles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Aherold7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F150 Premature Rust (less than 200 Miles)

I just traded in my 2012 F150 EcoBoost in on a 2015 Platinum model. Figured that I work hard and am due for the luxury. However I noticed today when I was installing my mud flaps that I had a ton of rust on the undercarriage, springs, axle, various bolts and gear box. Much more than on the truck I traded in and I have not even put 200 miles on the new one yet. According to the dealer THIS IS NORMAL SURFACE RUST! How can this be considered normal?
As for the surface rust issue, If it was just the cv joints showing surface rust or the U joints it would not be such a big deal. It is unfinished metal right? My issue is the fact that the rust is all over my supposedly E coated frame. It is on the rails, the cross members, the A arms and the shackles. The frame of my brand new platinum with its E coated corrosion resistant frame should not have rust all over it. After purchase I went around different dealer ships and looked underneath some other brand new trucks. None of the had 10% of the rust my truck does.I am wondering about just taking the loss and trading it in towards something else or another manufacturer. This would be my 3rd brand new Ford truck, and 4th Ford truck overall and the one I have been the most disappointed in. I hate to leave the brand but did not buy a brand new top of the line truck to deal with months of potential arguing, nay saying and back an forth to the dealer. Hopefully this post will keep others from making the same mistake I did and check their frames physically before purchase. I checked the outside and interior but having a rusted frame on a brand new truck never occurred to me.

Thanks,
Tone

Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 PM
pwhopkins
Freshman User
That can't be normal - I would be pissed!!!! Send the pics to regional reps, then Allan Mullally if you don't get some attention -

Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 PM
claycomotrucks1991
Senior User
That's a load of crap that shouldn't happen to a truck that someone has paid that much money for ! I feel ford has dropped the ball on this all new redesigned aluminum truck! Had so much going for it but seems to be cutting corners on quality and going cheap on parts & process!!!!! Good luck on what you decide to do!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by claycomotrucks1991
That's a load of crap that shouldn't happen to a truck that someone has paid that much money for ! I feel ford has dropped the ball on this all new redesigned aluminum truck! Had so much going for it but seems to be cutting corners on quality and going cheap on parts & process!!!!! Good luck on what you decide to do!
The aluminum isn't what the OP is complaining about.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
While I have nothing to add to your situation, it s interesting to see that the rear hangers on these are nonservicable. If they ever rust out like they did on my 97, looks like you are SOL unless you can weld, and even then I doubt that you would even be able to buy them from Ford since they are a welded on part.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Aherold7
New User
Originally Posted by pwhopkins
That can't be normal - I would be pissed!!!! Send the pics to regional reps, then Allan Mullally if you don't get some attention -
I have been dealing with Ford and the dealer but they are insensitive to my issues for the most part. I have spoken to the dealer G.M. and the Ford regional rep. Ford keeps referring to the dealer and the dealer keeps saying to take it up with Ford. If you don't mind me asking, who is Allan Mulally.
Thanks,
Tone

Old 04-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Alan Mulally was the CEO of FoMoCo until 2014, at which point he retired. Mike Fields is the current CEO.

I see your frustration, but I really don't think you're going to get anywhere with this. There's no warranty for corrosion except for body rust-through, and none of that has anything to do with the body. Almost looks like it was exposed to a LOT of salt for awhile. Was this a leftover truck? Perhaps it was driven on some really salty roads and it sat for quite awhile.

I wouldn't worry about it though. Seriously, this isn't going to cause you any issues. Spray the affected areas with something like Fluid Film and call it a day. Your truck will be just fine.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 AM
2gumby2
New User
Looks like it got built on a Friday afternoon just before quitin' time. I have a 2016 on order and I'll be paying attention to the undercarriage when I pick it up. I'm hoping to have it treated with a Krown rust proofing job if I can find a Krown provider in my area.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 AM
claycomotrucks1991
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
The aluminum isn't what the OP is complaining about.
That's how people refer to this truck as the aluminum truck I know it's not going to rust ! Just the cheap steel frame in this case! Shouldn't have that rust like that already for the price he paid!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:14 AM
madscientist
Senior User
If you asked me how old that truck looked, I would say at least 5 years, closer to 10.

I just went thru the process of rust repair on my 03 F250 and rust is the main reason I am moving into a new truck.

Its a shame that Ford isn't doing a better job with protecting the under body components. There are much better coatings they can use.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:25 AM
claycomotrucks1991
Senior User
Originally Posted by madscientist
If you asked me how old that truck looked, I would say at least 5 years, closer to 10.

I just went thru the process of rust repair on my 03 F250 and rust is the main reason I am moving into a new truck.

Its a shame that Ford isn't doing a better job with protecting the under body components. There are much better coatings they can use.
Ford doesn't care it's in it only for the money! Show me the money

Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 AM
madscientist
Senior User
Originally Posted by claycomotrucks1991
Ford doesn't care it's in it only for the money! Show me the money
And they should be in it for the money, they are a for-profit company and wouldn't last very long if they lost money on every truck. However, they should remember the lessons of the 80's when the American auto industry took a beating because they could not compete with Japanese and European quality standards.

Today's cars (across the industry) are far more reliable and have much better quality than 25 years ago. That's great for us consumers.

Ford needs to hear feedback about these problems.

The OP, who is a long-time Ford customer, has already stated he is disgusted and ready to switch brands.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 AM
SXIPro
Junior User
I am feeling really, really good about how my 2011 looks underneath right about now, and I live in the salt belt....

Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Wingit929
Senior User
I would show them a link to this page to show your spreading their reputation around. Jeeps have the same problem rusting while they are still on the new lot. It wouldn't surprise me to find it on any new lot actually. Look into POR15 (paint over rust). It is an unbelievable great product.

Stop Rust with POR-15® - We Know What Permanent Means!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I mean that's obviously the amount of rust you would expect to be normal on a truck with a few miles on it in the salty areas. You said 200 miles, is that from new, or just since you had it? The parts date stamps I see are Feb '15 so if it was on the lot since last march and moved around some salt and then just let there to sit, it's not impossible. It looks more like driven miles though, was it a demo unit?

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 Premature Rust (less than 200 Miles)