Sponsored by:

Driver barn door wont open

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 AM
4x4Junky
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my excursion for a couple months...and so far I have not been able to get the rear door open on the driver side.

I was able to remove the plastic panel so I could see inside.
The cable is attached to the handle, but not the latch mechanism at the bottom of the door.

I have searched this and other sites and looked for pics on the internet...no luck yet.

If anyone has an image of the latch mechanism for the driver barn door ... something that will hopefully show where the cable attaches and/or how I can manually (no cable attached) open the door.

Also, I am having issues with the door ajar light.
I am almost certain that this is from the rear of the truck.
Is the sensor for door ajar on the hatch, driver barn door, passenger barn door, more than one?

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 04-05-2016, 10:38 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4x4Junky
Had my excursion for a couple months...and so far I have not been able to get the rear door open on the driver side.

I was able to remove the plastic panel so I could see inside.
The cable is attached to the handle, but not the latch mechanism at the bottom of the door.

I have searched this and other sites and looked for pics on the internet...no luck yet.

If anyone has an image of the latch mechanism for the driver barn door ... something that will hopefully show where the cable attaches and/or how I can manually (no cable attached) open the door.

Also, I am having issues with the door ajar light.
I am almost certain that this is from the rear of the truck.
Is the sensor for door ajar on the hatch, driver barn door, passenger barn door, more than one?

Thanks,
Anthony
Sensor is in hatch not door. You can confirm it's the rear hatch by slamming it shut. This usually works There can be an easy fix with the cable on the door BUT I just drilled my handle's rivets out & operate the latch by hand.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 AM
4x4Junky
Freshman User
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
Sensor is in hatch not door. You can confirm it's the rear hatch by slamming it shut. This usually works There can be an easy fix with the cable on the door BUT I just drilled my handle's rivets out & operate the latch by hand.
Thanks for the reply. I can at least start looking at the hatch for the door open sensor.

Any chance you can explain how you operate the latch by hand? I hate to show everyone how simple I am...but I cannot figure it out?

I have pulled and pushed every part of the latch mechanism I can and have had no luck.

Pic would be perfect if anyone has one as I am not sure the latch mechanism isn't broken...at least I keep telling myself it must be broken since I cant figure it out.

Anthony

Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User

Here you go.

Attached Images     
Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 AM
4x4Junky
Freshman User
Thanks for taking the time to take and send those pictures.

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific.

I was hoping someone might have pics of the inside of the door where the cable runs from the door handle to the release part of the latch mechanism.

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 04-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Oh, sorry, lol! Don't think I can help you there.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:15 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply. I can at least start looking at the hatch for the door open sensor.

Any chance you can explain how you operate the latch by hand? I hate to show everyone how simple I am...but I cannot figure it out?

I have pulled and pushed every part of the latch mechanism I can and have had no luck.

Pic would be perfect if anyone has one as I am not sure the latch mechanism isn't broken...at least I keep telling myself it must be broken since I cant figure it out.

Anthony
1/8" drill bit. Drill out the rivets on the handle. Remove handle & cable. Toss them in the old parts pile I'll never use again pile. When I want to open the door I stick my hand inside the hole & push the latch.

I REPEAT: There might be an easy fix with replacing the cable I do not know what is wrong with yours, BUT It is fairly common issue. I needed to open my door sooner rather than latter

Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Thanks for taking the time to take and send those pictures.

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific.

I was hoping someone might have pics of the inside of the door where the cable runs from the door handle to the release part of the latch mechanism.

Thanks,
Anthony
CM showed you where to spray the contact cleaner as to get your door ajar light out.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:30 AM
4x4Junky
Freshman User

1/8" drill bit. Drill out the rivets on the handle. Remove handle & cable. Toss them in the old parts pile I'll never use again pile. When I want to open the door I stick my hand inside the hole & push the latch.

I REPEAT: There might be an easy fix with replacing the cable I do not know what is wrong with yours, BUT It is fairly common issue. I needed to open my door sooner rather than latter
What does the latch you push inside look like?
I have tried to push and pull and haven't been able to.

It is an obvious lever?

This is a pic of what I see inside mine...cant tell if it has been apart / butchered by PO or not.

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 04-05-2016, 04:14 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
This may help you out- it's in the tech sticky section.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15894412

Old 04-05-2016, 04:19 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru

What does the latch you push inside look like?
I have tried to push and pull and haven't been able to.

It is an obvious lever?

This is a pic of what I see inside mine...cant tell if it has been apart / butchered by PO or not.

Thanks,
Anthony
Bottom right..It is a little lever you push down. You can not see it with your hand inside BUT look at it then just kind of feel around while pushing down on things

Old 04-05-2016, 04:51 PM
4x4Junky
Freshman User
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
This may help you out- it's in the tech sticky section.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15894412
I did see this link, but unfortunately it takes care of a problem at the handle instead of the latch. Good information and thanks for the link.

Anthony

Old 04-05-2016, 04:55 PM
4x4Junky
Freshman User
Bottom right..It is a little lever you push down. You can not see it with your hand inside BUT look at it then just kind of feel around while pushing down on things
I saw that lever when I was messing around in the door last time. No matter how far down I press it, the door won't open. Pushed as hard as I can with bare hands. Then used a screwdriver. The lever moves a good half inch, but no go.

Either I'm a lot less of a man than I thought, or there is something wrong with the doorlatch. I'm getting really close to trying to cut the latch out, but I'm nervous about damaging the door in the process.

Thanks again,
Anthony

Old 04-05-2016, 05:03 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
OK , then there is a problem with your latch & not the cable. I'd try to spray it up with the lube of your choosing. Let it work as long as possible. Then you work the latch with your hand While you have someone bump the door as hard as they can at the same time to try & free it.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:19 AM
4x4Junky
Freshman User
Can someone tell me what this is?
Have these on both sides of the rear hatch glass.

Thanks,
Anthony

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Driver barn door wont open