6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Does anyone have a tablet mount around their console?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:36 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Does anyone have a tablet mount around their console?

I started using a small (7" screen) tablet as a navigational aid and would like to mount it somehow so it isn't bouncing around the console. Has anyone here come up with a way of doing this?

I have the full console in my truck. I have been looking at the pockets on the side, maybe putting a block of wood down inside with a RAM mount attached to it. There are the gooseneck style mounts I have seen also, but I don't think they will hold up well bouncing down the road. The theory of them bolting to the passenger seat frame may be a good place to start also.

Does anyone have experience with 1" RAM *****? That is what I use on my bike for my iphone, but the arm is short and the phone is small. I am not sure that size would stay rigid/in place with a long arm and tablet? Or does it?

On another thought, if I can find a suitable rigid mount I'd like to put radio face plates and accessories there also.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Steve, you should be able to find any style, size, length, you want from RAM.
I use RAM mounts on Farm equipment monitors that weigh 14-15 pounds and get a lot more abuse, "I would hope", than your truck is going to provide.
They hold up great.
BTW I don't sell them. Just have used them.
Good luck.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:07 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
I use RAM mounts on Farm equipment monitors that weigh 14-15 pounds and get a lot more abuse, "I would hope", than your truck is going to provide.
Good luck.
I know what you're saying. I've seen FMX, FM1000, Integra displays and Raven consoles, among others, hanging from RAM's before - though, those are 1.5-2" *****. Those appear to be a lot more robust than a 1".

Old 04-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Steve, I have the smaller ones too. I just don't expect them to hold as much.
I have found the 1 inch mount will handle " I pads" and the such just as well.
I have an I-Pad on the PP-system.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am using an iPhone 6+ to run ForScan, not quite as big as a 7" tablet but getting there. I use a 1" Ram ball with the short arm (there are a number of lengths), the base is screwed to a plug that fits tightly in one of the drink cup holders. It is very stable. I 3D printed the plug to fit the hole, but you could turn or whittle one.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:50 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the 1" Ram ***** with no problem. NOTE: The 1" ***** come in plastic or steel. I used steel, just because I had them already. I also bought the Ram Tablet mount.

I SACRIFICED one of my SIX cup holders for this project. I pulled the forward holder out, drilled it for the ball, and nut & bolted the ball in.

The only problem I have now, is I can't find anyplace the sells a 5 pack! So I always have one leftover! J/K

Attached Images    
Old 04-02-2016, 06:37 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Thanks for the info All. I ordered a few RAM parts to try and see what happens. The only thing I don't like with the smaller x grip on the bike is it seems a bit weak for much else than the phone. I have tried holding one of my radios in it and that is well beyond the capacity of it. I suppose if the dimensions of the device are where the sides are inside the grip of the rubber stopper things on the ends then it is a lot more stable. I would hope the larger x grip is much stronger than the small one.

I'd rather do the install without drilling holes. I got an 18" pole mount (rigid with ball/socket) and an 18" seat frame alum rod mount (bendable with a ball socket at the top) to try. I am not sure how accessible the front left passenger side seat frame bolt will be to use. My thoughts are to use some kind of base in the side pocket.

The radio face plate I have (Kenwood TM-V71A) has a 1/4"x20 threaded insert, like a camera. So I got a camera ball for the RAM set and a ToughClaw base. My thoughts are I can clamp the ToughClaw to either the pole or the rod mount that the tablet sits on.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not like the x grip's (returned them) and went with the Tab Mount shown in Pic 2.
Very sturdy. That is a 7in tablet in Pic 3. The right side of the tab mount slides for insert or removal of the tablet. It's spring loaded.

The only holes I drilled were two #8 in the bottom of the cup holder. (you can see one in Pic 1). I figure, if I ever take it out, I'll just put the rubber cup holder back in and cover it up.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Dpica15
Freshman User
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-05-2016, 02:41 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm using the mount linked below with my Nexus 7 for navigation and Torque Pro. The mount is very solid and sturdy. The picture angle showing the tablet is actually not very representative of your line of sight while driving. The tablet does not block any view of the road as it's low enough to the dash.

Amazon.com: Arkon Windshield Dashboard Car Mount for iPad mini Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 3 Note Tab S Tab Pro 8.4 Nexus 7 and Midsize Tablets: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Arkon Windshield Dashboard Car Mount for iPad mini Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 3 Note Tab S Tab Pro 8.4 Nexus 7 and Midsize Tablets: Cell Phones & Accessories

Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I googled ram ***** and I got was this: (what are they as I don't see how this mounts a tablet)

Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Holy... ram? Wow. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks for the ideas doczenith. Good stuff.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 AM
razehm
Senior User
RAM use to make a cup holder attachment. It just simply shoves down into the cup holder and you attach the rest of the RAM mount to it. In my work car I used a piece of flat metal, bent at 90 degrees and used velcro to hold it down for my suction cup mount RAM for my smart phone.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 PM
254XP3
Junior User
Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
I got some of my parts in and did some work this afternoon to see how this will work out.

I ordered the
seat mount rod kit seat mount rod kit
and some other parts trying to make something work. The aluminum rod is easily moldable. However, the set up is very flimsy. The tablet by itself is even wobbly. The theory is pretty good though. I will try to replace the aluminum rod with a steel one to keep everything stronger. I am a bit leery of the base bolted to the seat frame. It flexes a bit also. It looks like cast steel. It may not hold up very well. I will try it for a while and see what happens though. If it breaks I will figure something else out - custom bracket welded up, attached to the top of the seat mount instead of sandwiched underneath. I had to go under because I was afraid that if I tried to bend the bracket I would weaken it too much, or even break it in bending.

When I get the rest of my parts in I should be able to get the tablet up higher and further over the console. I am not sure if I want the radio face plate under or over. Right now over is the only way I can go.

The upper Ram attachment is held on by a
ToughClaw ToughClaw
. This is a really neat universal mount clamp. I may get some more of these for the bike, boats, etc. Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a tablet mount around their console?