Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point about the spare, but I sort of figured it may be a bit of a pain. However, compared to a back bumper tire carrier, or a hitch mount, they are either expensive or limiting/in the way.

No hurry on the photos, anytime will work!

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:20 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
So, I found this picture, and I think this is what I am going to model mine after, without all the accessories. Thoughts?

Very sharp! I like it alot. Cant wait to see what you decide to go with.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:27 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Here is the first pic. That is supposed to be some kind of step ladder built into the rack. Never used it cause my feet are too big.

Backend

Drivers side/Front.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:33 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
maybe a couple water tight lockable boxes for the jack, pull straps and any other gear that I may not want ridding inside.

Somewhere on YouTube I came across some locking tool / junk boxes that had a base you would bolt onto your rack. Then, the boxes would snap (and lock) into the base. I've looked for something like this online with no luck. Anyone seen such a contraption ? They were obviously a mass produced item, not custom built.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:30 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by agsmv1
Here is the first pic. That is supposed to be some kind of step ladder built into the rack. Never used it cause my feet are too big.

Backend

Drivers side/Front.
Thanks for the pics! You have a great looking rack...

Originally Posted by IMASAP
Somewhere on YouTube I came across some locking tool / junk boxes that had a base you would bolt onto your rack. Then, the boxes would snap (and lock) into the base. I've looked for something like this online with no luck. Anyone seen such a contraption ? They were obviously a mass produced item, not custom built.
I have never seen those style boxes, but they sound interesting

So today i went buy the shop that says they can build the roof rack. It is just a little husband and wife place. The guy was building an exo skeleton for a suzuki samari...

We talked about the project a little and about Excursions A LOT.

If I can get the money lined up, I should be having him start the project late next week. At that time, we will finalize everything.

On a side note, should I look at having him fab up a side mounted ladder? If I were to do this, I would have twin ones made, one for each side.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:28 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Personally, I like the side mounted ladders. My only issue with them is that around these parts, you wouldn't need to be much off the beaten path to have a tree turn it into a pretzel. I would only want one, not two though. I think I would want mine to be relatively easily removed if the need arose though.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
P.S. This thread is really making me itch to get my rack on my roof....

Old 03-30-2016, 06:36 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I can't wait to see what they make. I have thought about getting a side ladder but I have already killed my aerodynamics enough and I don't want to make it worse. Something that can be removed would be nice and if I go the ladder route, a removable one it will be.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:41 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
I have already killed my aerodynamics enough and I don't want to make it worse.

I'm anticipating a loss of a couple MPGs on the highway when I put the rack on.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:31 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Interesting points about the ladder option, maybe something like this would be better.

Rhino Rack Folding Ladder - Rhino Roof Rack Folding Access Ladder

I just wonder if a built permanent one would be cheaper since I already have him building the rack...

Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Without a ladder you have no real access to the rack. If you do a removable you'll NEED the rack to carry it I'd look into removable as in bolts & clamps as to have the option JUST in case you had to..

Old 03-30-2016, 12:55 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
^^^^^^ GREAT POINT!

Old 03-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
Without a ladder you have no real access to the rack. If you do a removable you'll NEED the rack to carry it I'd look into removable as in bolts & clamps as to have the option JUST in case you had to..
I have had my rack for about a year now with no ladder. I have not had an issue with accessing it. Open the door and stand on the running board or the inside of truck or use the tires to stand on. I have thrown many things up there. There has been a few times where I did need to jump and pull myself up so I could stand on the rack to move things around and load and unload.

It is also a great to place to relax and enjoy the view.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:03 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=Twitchyleprechaun;16167290]I have had my rack for about a year now with no ladder. I have not had an issue with accessing it. Open the door and stand on the running board or the inside of truck or use the tires to stand on. I have thrown many things up there. There has been a few times where I did need to jump and pull myself up so I could stand on the rack to move things around and load and unload.

As you age Twitch, you will find that jumping on & off a 7' roof rack is not in the cards any longer. The stock rear bumper is useless & the door jamb is not a very secure platform either, You (I) have to keep one hand on the rack at all times so as not to head backward.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
I have had my rack for about a year now with no ladder. I have not had an issue with accessing it. Open the door and stand on the running board or the inside of truck or use the tires to stand on. I have thrown many things up there. There has been a few times where I did need to jump and pull myself up so I could stand on the rack to move things around and load and unload.

As you age Twitch, you will find that jumping on & off a 7' roof rack is not in the cards any longer. The stock rear bumper is useless & the door jamb is not a very secure platform either, You (I) have to keep one hand on the rack at all times so as not to head backward.
I won't disagree with you on that one. I was just adding my feedback. I will brag about my age and agility for as long as I am able.

Quick Reply: Custom Roof Rack