1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration issue, possible pinion bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 08:41 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vibration issue, possible pinion bearings?

Originally Posted by U9000
... snipped ... Oh and if you've got a pinion bearing going bad, you'd at least have a vibration from it. You should feel it in the seat at some specific speed.
Holy Moly ... I don't mean to hijack this thread but maybe this will add to the discussion. I have the exact specific symptom U9000 cited ... a vibration at approx. 45 - 50 mph, in the seat of my pants suggesting something out of whack at rear of truck. The vibration seems to be lessened when under load i.e. 2500# truck camper:

Here's what's been done to solve it so far without any success:

• driveshaft balanced;
  • 2 complete sets of tires balanced, rotated and swapped around etc.;
  • all new u-joints;
  • alignment;
  • new upper and lower ball joints;
  • new anti-sway bar bushings;
  • new rotors/brakes/calipers;
  • various seals etc.

Nothing has worked. Also, I do not see anything leaking underneath. If the pinion bearing is going bad, could it create this vibration without showing a leak?

Chasing this vibration is costing me time, money and my sanity!!!

All thoughts welcome!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:21 AM
firebirdparts
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should have started a new thread, for sure.

This is kind of my internet rule #27. "When vibration occurs, it's always a tire, but nobody on the internet has ever heard of a vibrating tire."

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
There are a LOT of things that can cause a vibration. To avoid confusion, I split this off into its own thread.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:10 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by firebirdparts
... snipped ... This is kind of my internet rule #27. "When vibration occurs, it's always a tire, but nobody on the internet has ever heard of a vibrating tire." Discuss amongst yourselves.
I too usually think tires when there is a vibration issue. However, I think it's safe to say we've eliminated the tires as the vibration source. I have two sets of tires mounted on separate rims. We've mixed and matched every possible combination and completely re-balanced all 8 tires twice now. This did not solve the problem which led to all of the other work being perfomred a step at a time. Still no luck.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
So thinking about this further, does it vary with throttle input?

If it's less with a greater load you don't have a bearing problem. Almost sounds like a driveline angle issue. 2,500 lb load will squat the truck and alter your driveline angle, that can cause or resolve vibrations if something isn't right.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:02 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think Tom has something you should check out. Does the truck have a lift?

Old 03-10-2016, 09:34 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been chasing a vibration issue also. I just figured it was the weight I had in the truck but it turns out my tranfer case was 1qt of tansfer case fluid low. Its much better now

Old 03-11-2016, 12:19 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom
So thinking about this further, does it vary with throttle input?

If it's less with a greater load you don't have a bearing problem. Almost sounds like a driveline angle issue. 2,500 lb load will squat the truck and alter your driveline angle, that can cause or resolve vibrations if something isn't right.
Hi guys, no lift on the truck, stock tires. The diff and tranny fluids are clean and right where they should be. Not sure about the transfer case ... is there a separate way to check this?

You can see from the low mileage, it's a bit of a creampuff and from the overall mechanical and cosmetic condition, it appears it was not used as a work truck. The vibration is mostly affected by speed ... and somewhat by load. There is no difference whether I am feathering the throttle or sticking my toe into the skinny pedal (which I do rarely).

I usually drive with no/very light load (except for a full size Leer bed cap - guessing about 300#) and driving unloaded is when the vibration is at its worse. It occurs like clockwork between 45 mph and 50 mph. It "eases" into the seat of my pants vibration as I approach 45 mph from zero and gradually decreases vibrating as I go above 50 mph. At speeds above and below the cited range ... no vibration whatsoever. You really don't feel it in the steering wheel ... another clue it is coming from the rear?

Under load (i.e. our 2500# truck camper), it behaves the same but the overall vibration is less intense (maybe half the feeling) ... but it is definitely there. The rear end drops about 3.5 inches with the camper unit and our cargo trailer on hitch (300# tongue weight).

Since the vibration occurs in both no load and load situations, wouldn't this eliminate the driveshaft angle theory?

Old 03-11-2016, 01:37 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Jack the rear off the ground and you'll eliminate tires completely. You said you checked the diff oil? Any metal besides the little bit of normal sludge? If you have a bad anything you'll have some metal there, depending how bad on how much you will see. Shift the trans manually, so you are in a different gear at that speed. A bad bearing will be constant and not come and go at different speeds. It may be noisier with or without throttle. If you vibration is at a certain speed only you likely have a balance or angle issue.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
There is no difference whether I am feathering the throttle or sticking my toe into the skinny pedal (which I do rarely).
What about when you're off the throttle completely?

Old 03-11-2016, 05:21 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
......The vibration seems to be lessened when under load i.e. 2500# truck camper........
That might be a hint. A load causes the rear to squat, which changes the drive shaft angle. That would point to U-joints being the issue, but you changed those.

Have you checked your carrier bearing (if your truck even has one)?

Old 03-11-2016, 05:27 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a recent thread (almost exact same symptoms) in the Excursion forum (I think) and the answer was a dry slip joint on the driveshaft. Lubed it up with moly greez and Viola' ! Vibration gone. Hope it's as easy as that.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Dry slip joint, or, what about a u-joint that's binding up?

Old 03-12-2016, 10:14 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
There was a recent thread (almost exact same symptoms) in the Excursion forum (I think) and the answer was a dry slip joint on the driveshaft. Lubed it up with moly greez and Viola' ! Vibration gone. Hope it's as easy as that.
I'd lean towards doing this too. If nothing else its the cheapest option available to start at first.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:46 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
I'll give this a shot ... can't hurt. The ujoints shouold be fine as they were just replaced but I'll check those again too.

Quick Reply: Vibration issue, possible pinion bearings?