6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Random Smoke, need help diagnosing please

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:03 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Random Smoke, need help diagnosing please

Lately my truck has been smoking at random, it's not very often & only seems to happen while stopped with transmission still in gear (traffic light, etc)
& at this time, I believe its a faulty fuel injector (still originals) although not confirmed.

Hopefully it can be diagnosed without taking her to a garage, as $ is tight

2006 w/a 6.0 Diesel (130,000 miles) no CEL

Thanks

Old 03-06-2016, 10:25 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like it's idling fine, the FICM good on both sides ? Still have the valve( EGR )?

Old 03-07-2016, 01:52 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 04badford
Sounds like it's idling fine, the FICM good on both sides ? Still have the valve( EGR )?
Idles perfectly, although it does feel like its missing under light acceleration, when the engine is cold.
In fact after you've driven it 10-15 minutes & come to a halt, is when the smoke happens.
Oh & if u jump the throttle while its smoking, it will almost immediately clear up.

After I shot that Video today, I shut the engine off a few minutes & the rest of the day she ran perfectly.

FICM was rebuilt by ED 3-4 years ago & still puts out 48-49 Volt's constantly

Yes, still has a functioning EGR.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16101870

In fact I pulled it yesterday to look for Coolant, please see my Post, from another Thread ^^^

Old 03-07-2016, 06:36 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,421 Posts
That's what mine had done. An IDS check showed #7 was weak only when uncompensated and a replacement injector cured the issue.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:24 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Yea valve looks good and oily soot is normal, I would think if Injector seal are blow by you would be seeing blue/ black smoke , there's been weirder things happen though , back to FICM testing stone cold yea? Maybe the Banks playing games any way to put it back to stock.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:32 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Yea valve looks good and oily soot is normal, I would think if Injector seal are blow by you would be seeing blue/ black smoke , there's been weirder things happen though , back to FICM testing stone cold yea? Maybe the Banks playing games any way to put it back to stock.
Yes, I've watched FICM from the start & always 48-49 Volts.
Is there some other thing I should be doing to check FICM (I know of Sync, but hell if that's off it don't start)??

My Programmer is a Edge CTS & yes I could, OR are u talking about the Banks High-Ram Intake??
If your talking about the High-Ram, I do have the OE Intake Elbow, although I don't have the OE plastic CAC Tube & the Banks steel CAC Tube is much larger.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:36 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
The other side of the board LP logic power and vp vehicle power , what your watching probably is MP main power.
I was thinking the tune, but if you have aftermarket air set up is the Maf incorporated in the pipe ? Like OEM .

Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Started thinking again, lol, MAF plays a big roll in air fuel timing and could put the turbo in a silly position if not working properly at least one more thing to check out.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Guys, I went through the same thinking your doing in the last posts. Even got to pay for someone to FU my prized FICM. Check the injectors uncompensated. White smoke at idle.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Thanks for the tip, I don't know why but in my mind, I am thinking Injector too

I called a local shop "PowerStroke Gearheads" & described to him my issue, he feels its the Turbo. Any thoughts on that?
Anyway I am taking it over there in about 30 minutes, so I'll post his thoughts later....

Thanks guys

Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Well the shop said.....Turbo

So I suppose I start learning about options for the Turbo, after some brief reading & consulting with the shop, I am liking the PowerMax (Stage 1) since I still have OE Injectors.... Although when the time comes, I have felt the 155/30(probably Warren) is a great upgrade for a mildly hoped up engine.

How many currently run a Stage 1 PowerMax & thoughts/experiences w/em

Old 03-10-2016, 09:30 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Well, I hope they're right. Not my experience.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:44 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
A few was to tell
1. Monitor with gauge
2. Pull it and inspect , replacement parts are cheaper than a brand spankin new turbo

Old 03-10-2016, 10:52 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Well, I hope they're right. Not my experience.
Me too....

It started smoking when I pulled in & the 2 guys there immediately said Turbo, especially if it goes away after accelerating. The way he explained it, the oil is getting through the turbo when the turbine is spinning more slowly & the bearing shaft can shift back/forth.

I stated I was worried about Injectors, he said if an Injector tip was broken, it would smoke constantly & he proceeded to explain how the engine would sound while starting if an Injector was leaking back (dangers to hydro lock) and that it would be evident.

I will say this (which I didn't tell him) for the last maybe 2 years, after shutting engine off, you can hear the Turbo spooling down (whooch, whooch) & I've told the wife numerous times I feel the bearing was going bad in the Turbo.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
A few was to tell
1. Monitor with gauge
2. Pull it and inspect , replacement parts are cheaper than a brand spankin new turbo
What can I monitor, besides PSI & VGT

I assume VGT is functioning only because, % seems to change with Turbo load, although I don't really know what it should read.

I would feel better buying new on this, due to noises its made for awhile (afraid of cast damage) plus I like the idea of a better performing & sounding Turbo

Quick Reply: Random Smoke, need help diagnosing please