Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

75 F100 Pictures + Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:23 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice truck.... You've done a lot of work and it shows...Sounds great too....

Old 02-28-2016, 08:40 PM
CanadianBuzzard
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming along nicely, so nice when these old trucks sound good!

Old 02-28-2016, 09:04 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Thank you gentleman...I forgot how much fun and expensive these builds can be but I'm trying to do a budget rebuild and I have to say I have only spent about $400 to redo the entire brake system, the exhaust system, the ignition system and full and extensive tune up and of course body and paint and clean. Probably $75 is tied up in cleaning products and tools..

Old 02-29-2016, 06:48 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Update 2/29/16 -rust removal and paint-

UnderBody project
Materials: Wire brushes, paint remover, sanding blocks, paint
Time: 3 hours

So, spent a couple hours after work today under the truck and started the long task of removing rust. Started in the front end in the front wheel wells. it was a ton of surface rust and grime. Took some wire brushes of differant strength, wire sanding blocks and finally sanding paper mixed in with degreaser and cleaners, etc.. Hit it all up with rustoleum stop rust glossy black/matt finish black/fire hydrant red paint

This work was pretty tough on my back as i was laying on my back and side the entire time. Truck has plenty of clearance to get under the body and do work but it was def awkward. Knocked off/sanded off about 10 lbs of rust and grime. Entire driveawy was a hot mess of rust/oil/grime and cleaners all mixed together with water..lol Had to call it quits when i ran out of paint. 8 cans of assorted paint just for the little i got done. The metal is so pourous after sanding down.
Got both front wheel wells done, the entire length of passenger frame rail and got the gas tank done. i need to invest in a creeper for sure (this job is going to take months to hit entire bottom of this extended cab truck)
here are some before and after shots.
Going to bhit everything up with a second coat tonight in the garage and then hit up driver side tomorrow and rear wheel wells.

Attached Images       
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 PM
tbruz
Tuned
Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Nice looking ride and nice work cleaning it up to look even nicer.
Replace your door striker posts(about $20 for both sides) as the plastic sleeve seems to be missing(common issue) from the one on your first post.
New striker posts make a WORLD of difference in closing effort, wind noise and rattle reduction when running down the road.
Tbruz

Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Thank you sir, I cleaned, adjusted and reassembled all the door mechanics over the weekend. I never knew there were supposed to be plastic sleeves for the strikers..haha.. The more you know.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:50 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Update 3/1/16 Ordered intake and carb

Bought this today from summit. The guy was super helpful and new his stuff. Asked what the truck was going to be for, application, future plans, work done to the engine and on and on. He said I could even call if I had issues installing. Told me what to expect for trouble issues. Ordered a 1" adaptor plate just in case of clearance issues. It comes with an electronic choke and I opted for kit to install.Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold and Carburetor Kits 2031 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2016, 05:59 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Update 3/1/16 Paint and interior clean

Continued on with my under chasis rust removal and paint
Got the rear wheel wells done and drivers side long frame rail.
Second go round was easier than 1st side.
Going to put on second goat tomorrow evening.

Also cleaned up door hand pulls. They were incredably filthy with grime and grease and paint where PO had painted the door panels (with wrong kind of paint). Need to remove door panels and sand and repaint with plasti-dip paint..

Attached Images         
Old 03-01-2016, 06:05 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Update 3/1/16 Paint and interior clean - continued

here are the arm rests for the doors
Bough a set of little wire brushes (metal, nylon, etc..) from harbor freight for $5 for a pack of 8 assorted brushes. Hit them up with some meguires leather polish and looks a million times better. Going to let second spray soak for about an hour. Steill need to pull door panels and sand old paint off and spray with plasti-dip color. PO had sprayed with regular paint for metal and wood

Attached Images    
Old 03-01-2016, 06:12 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Update 3/1/16 Talked to machinist about motor

Talked to my buddy who is a machinist and works on hot rods (its good to have a friend like this..lol). Going to take truck over to his shop saturday and take off heads for him to check them out and do some work (port, polish, hone and flow the heads). Hes going to do all the work for $100 and a 6 pack. Once thats assembled and done saturday hes going to help me put on the hopoker headers. Once intake/carb comes, going to tackle that, take it over to him and see what kind of numbers we get on his dyno and then go from there. He suggests new guides, rods and valves (we will know more once we take heads off. Next will be crank, cam and bottom end work. The rear main seal needs to be replaced anyways.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anxious to see what kind of numbers it produces.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by GM4WALLS
Anxious to see what kind of numbers it produces.
My tech(Bobby) thinks after headers, intake, carb, cistom tune and head work, that we will be in the (275-300 range). That's just an educated guess. We talked some tonight and he wants to help bring this motor alive. He has drafted a build which includes a .30 bore, a crane cam, a guerilla gas system, new pan and oil pick up, new crank and a 50 shot of nos. He said he can order all the parts for under 1k and he will charge me ciggarette and beer money to do the work. His blueprint build is shooting for 400-425hp. He has done a lot of the 289 and 302 motors for t bucket hot rods that can push 500 safely. He says he already has a tranny lined up for me as well. Probably start that long journey in the summer as it means substantial down time.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:18 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Update 3/2/16 Headers + body frame rust removal

my headers were waiting for me at doorstep when i got home today. Went ahead and stripped them of shiny "shipping" paint. What a damn mess that was. Hit them up with two coats of high temp exhaust paint. If i get a wild hair i might start on them tonight.
Worked on passenfer side underframe, scraped and sanded another 5lbs of rust off and pressure washed (2 hours). Drivers side tomorrow night and then paint following night.

Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2016, 06:28 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Exhaust idle and rev - 3/2/16

This is a before sound after all work and tune i have done so far before i go down the road of all the "upgrades". Funny it set off my cars alarm outside..lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1859322091.mp4

Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Sounds good. A gain of 275 -300hp would be impressive.

Quick Reply: 75 F100 Pictures + Budget Build