6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 rough running, smoke, stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:42 AM
4x4Junky
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 rough running, smoke, stalling

I have a 2004 Excursion with a 6.0 Bought the truck already studded, EGR deleted, and a 54V FICM.
When I bought the truck it had a hot stall, no restart problem.
Found the high pressure oil leaks and resealed them by replacing the #3 injector and replacing the top injector seal in the #4 .

Oil pressure reads very good now and I drove the truck for a couple weeks problem free.

Truck started smoking (white to gray) and felt like it had a miss. No misfire or contribution codes.
Truck failed the bubble test and I narrowed the leak down to the passenger side by removing the
banjo bolt"><span style=banjo bolt" /> banjo bolt">banjo bolt
at the front of the
passenger head"><span style=passenger head" /> passenger head">passenger head

Found the #3 injector loose...the
copper washer"><span style=copper washer" /> copper washer">copper washer
had disintegrated/melted and appeared to be stuck to the side of the injector. Scraped off easily enough, cleaned up the injector and injector cup and reinstalled the injector with new O-rings and copper washer.

Put the truck back together and still smoked the same and still felt like it had a miss. Ran KOER test and found sometimes a contribution code for #2 and sometimes #6 .

Drove the truck to work and it didn't feel down on power...mostly just smoked and rough idle...but on the way home there was a lack of power and just as I pulled into my driveway the truck stalled...wouldn't restart. FICM voltage was good, high pressure oil read over 900, IPR was holding around 40%.

Pulled the
secondary fuel cap"><span style=secondary fuel cap" /> secondary fuel cap">secondary fuel cap
to run another bubble test...there was no fuel in it...completely empty. Started to think that I had a fuel feed problem. Hooked up a
fuel pressure gauge"><span style=fuel pressure gauge" /> fuel pressure gauge">fuel pressure gauge
and drove the truck again...pressure wasn't great (45 lbs) but never dropped below 42...not even when it stalled. Pulled the cap again...dry again...yet the truck read fuel pressure.

Research showed that I was possibly pressurizing the fuel system with combustion pressure and that was possibly displacing the fuel from the fuel system. This would explain the run for a few minutes, then stall and no restart for a few minutes...I'm assuming that the pressure would bleed off and the fuel pump would start over.

Still failing the bubble test and still pointing to the passenger side. I pulled and recleaned the injector and cup...new
orings"><span style=orings" /> orings">orings
and copper washer. Bubble test again...fail.

Pulled glow plug from #3 , failed bubble test still.
Pulled glow plug from #1 , failed.
Pulled #5 , failed...pulled #7 ...failed.
With no glow plugs in the passenger head I am still bubbling up to the fuel filter housing. Pulled the banjo bolt from the front of the drivers side head...no more bubbles.

I am at a loss...thoughts and help welcome.

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where you able to get an answer to this problem?