6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 'Stumbles' on take off with camper

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
ALSO, I have the high idle hooked up and the truck does the same thing when switching on the high idle. It bogs down momentarily then runs as it should.
My truck does this same thing when high idle is switched on; however, I have not experienced this any other time. Because you say the behavior is identical, it might be worth disconnecting the high idle switch and trying it again. If you have it wired to an on/off switch like the upfitters I cannot see it making a difference, but I would at least try disconnecting it.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
My truck does this same thing when high idle is switched on; however, I have not experienced this any other time. Because you say the behavior is identical, it might be worth disconnecting the high idle switch and trying it again. If you have it wired to an on/off switch like the upfitters I cannot see it making a difference, but I would at least try disconnecting it.
May very well do just that!!! Thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Mine does this as well occasionally. When it does bog, once the RPMs reach the SEIC speed it will also not run smoothly and shakes the entire truck. That'll last between 1-2 minutes and then it smooth's out. Two or three times that I can remember I have quickly stopped it because the shaking is outside of my comfort zone and I'm concerned the engine wants to break something important but nothing bad has ever happened.
There is a higher chance of this occurring when the engine is warm and is typically fine if the engine is cold. It's good to hear others do this as well.

Also, I do need to point out I am not fooled by the RPMs dropping to base idle after activating SEIC when cold since warmup strategy already had the RPMs increased. SEIC is designed to begin at base idle when activated. The bog/shake is an entirely different sound and feel. Hard to explain in a short amount of words!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:31 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Also, I do need to point out I am not fooled by the RPMs dropping to base idle after activating SEIC when cold since warmup strategy already had the RPMs increased. SEIC is designed to begin at base idle when activated. The bog/shake is an entirely different sound and feel. Hard to explain in a short amount of words!
Even when fully warmed, my truck will "die" just for half a second when the high idle is flipped on...just like the OP described, like reversing a boat motor or hitting reverse on a modern 2-stroke snowmobile. It seems like it is programmed to do that then, but shouldn't do it during normal op as the OP describes.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:17 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It could be as simple as the computer saying "whoa, you can't have that much torque at this slow speed going uphill with that much weight. My calculations are telling me you should be going 25mph based on the throttle input and gear, I've got to back you down a bit or the drive shaft might twist"

Old 06-30-2016, 05:00 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Still "stumbling" or "bucking" around 1100 RPMs occasionally. Especially when hooked to the 5er. Here is where I caught it on video. Still unable to reproduce to dealer.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:01 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Well, the last update from Ford did not cure the stumble. The truck dis it multiple times starting off while on our trip this weekend. Wouldn't you know it, the bumper to bumper expired on the 3rd!

Old 10-15-2016, 09:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
A continuing problem should be covered. You need to get a hold of ford cust svc and open a case.

Have all of your invoices ready to reference.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Well, the last update from Ford did not cure the stumble. The truck dis it multiple times starting off while on our trip this weekend. Wouldn't you know it, the bumper to bumper expired on the 3rd!
Here to help, golfmedik! Please send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer. Have you contacted the dealer yet about the stumble still being there?

Originally Posted by senix
A continuing problem should be covered. You need to get a hold of ford cust svc and open a case.

Have all of your invoices ready to reference.
Thanks for suggesting Ford Customer Service, senix!

Rachel

Old 11-10-2016, 07:58 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Rachel, thank you very much for being here and getting involved!! I've received three calls from your service reps about the truck and getting it into the dealer. It is much appreciated!

At long last I was able to take the F350 to the dealer today with the camper attached. FINALLY got the truck to act up while on the computer, and it did it multiple times! You won't believe what is reportedly causing the "stumble"!!! After he reflashed the truck the last time, the tech asked his tech friends around the area about the weird thing the truck does. They told him to check a certain PID. When he hooked it up and went to that PID, he said "that's totally insane!" The parameter showed "783 Driving Events"!!!!!!!!!! Turns out that the culprit to all of this stumbling is a FAULTY BRAKE SWITCH!!!! The truck thinks that I am trying to power break it at most every stop. When he read that it had recorded it 783 times, he said no damn wonder you are going crazy with the truck!!! So, a new brake switch was ordered. Still a little performance issue with the waste gate solenoid, but that will have to be dealt with after it stops the jerking and stumbling. The tech said that people described it as the truck "jumping" when taking off. We'll let you know if it helps when it is replaced.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:06 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 938 Likes on 338 Posts
thats great news Monty!

Old 11-11-2016, 06:43 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great news. Isn't it funny how solutions sound so simple and obvious after they've been found? When you think about it, it's like "duh".

Old 11-11-2016, 07:14 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,202 Likes on 2,249 Posts
Glad you were able to get it fixed Monty!

Old 11-11-2016, 10:54 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did it have anything to do with the "slope assist"? That applies the brake by itself, if it thinks you are starting on a slope. With a heavy camper, the back might sag enough to think it is always starting on a slope. But I guess they verified the brake switch was bad?

Old 11-11-2016, 04:01 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
Did it have anything to do with the "slope assist"? That applies the brake by itself, if it thinks you are starting on a slope. With a heavy camper, the back might sag enough to think it is always starting on a slope. But I guess they verified the brake switch was bad?
I originally told them I thought it had something to do with the HILL ASSIST too. They scanned it's operation earlier, but it apparently is the switch on the back of the pedal that has caused it. I tried to get it to act up on hills the first time I took it in, but it wouldn't do it. So this time, I stayed on level ground until it started acting up and then took it to a long hill and it did it much worse. I even let it roll back after the Hill Assist let go and it still did it. So. I'm for anything to cure this beast of it's ailment.

Quick Reply: 6.7 'Stumbles' on take off with camper