1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Because Race Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:26 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I sure hope so. Tonight I'll start welding on the firewall. Hopefully get the patch panels finished up tonight or tomorrow and start trying to stuff an engine back in it later this week. Before I drop the engine back in there, I aim to take a little bit of weight out of that crossmember. I am hoping to cut a hundred pounds or more out of the truck not including removing the A/C system. The main areas I'm looking to remove weight are the crossmember under the engine, inner fenders, fender wells, core support, rear crossmember, inner doors behind door panels, A/C system, cab, seats, bed, and rear bumper.
That shouldn't be too hard to do with the things you have listed. I would bet you make up half that with just the rear bumper delete. I don't know what a rear roll pan weighs, but it can't be much.

Personally, I would be worried about weakening the engine crossmember with the kind of power you are hoping to make, but I am sure you could build something out of DOM tubing that would take the abuse and weigh a heckuva lot less than that stamped steel monstrosity that is in there now. Is the driveshaft from the 10.5 up to the task? Aluminum? Remember you will make up some weight with the lexan rear window too (not a lot, but some). You know what you're doing, I'm sure you'll do it up right.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't wait to see this thing going down the track!

Old 10-12-2016, 08:54 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
My only question is how much coal is it going to roll? THAT is the most important thing...

Sorry, thought this was the Cummins forum for a second.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:41 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Looking good Travis! That bellowed uppipe looks to be leaking a little.....
When I took the bolts out of the manifold, the bottom section just fell out on the ground. Hard to believe the truck still trapped 102mph with those uppipes before I parked it 3 years ago. lol

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Wow, my apologies Travis. When I posted this only the first picture was loaded. Looking great!
You're fine Glenn. I've been working on it pretty steady since probably January or February. It wasn't until recently that I started hitting it pretty hard though. Lately I've been able to work on it at least 3 hours every night.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
That shouldn't be too hard to do with the things you have listed. I would bet you make up half that with just the rear bumper delete. I don't know what a rear roll pan weighs, but it can't be much.

Personally, I would be worried about weakening the engine crossmember with the kind of power you are hoping to make, but I am sure you could build something out of DOM tubing that would take the abuse and weigh a heckuva lot less than that stamped steel monstrosity that is in there now. Is the driveshaft from the 10.5 up to the task? Aluminum? Remember you will make up some weight with the lexan rear window too (not a lot, but some). You know what you're doing, I'm sure you'll do it up right.
Yeah I won't weaken anything too much. I have been considering building some DOM crossmembers to replace all of the crossmembers on the truck. I want to try to make a pass in it before the track closes for the year though and that front crossmember will be fairly complex to build since I currently have the factory 2005 track bar bracket bolted to it along with getting the engine mounts positioned correctly. So I'll probably leave it until I pull the motor again either when I kill the connecting rods or put a built motor in it. I'll be getting normal old steel driveshafts made for it most likely. I think aluminum driveshafts will be out of my price range right now, but I'll ask my driveshaft shop about it and see what they think. I'm leaving that portion completely up to them and what they want in a truck that will make 1000hp one day.

Originally Posted by tshrager
Can't wait to see this thing going down the track!
You and me both buddy. I haven't taken that truck down the track in a little over 3 years now, so I'm definitely itching and I'm starting to be afraid to break the SD. I must be getting old.

Originally Posted by BBslider001
My only question is how much coal is it going to roll? THAT is the most important thing...

Sorry, thought this was the Cummins forum for a second.
It will roll all of the coal. Hopefully it won't be too bad though. We'll be detuning it quite a bit to try to help the connecting rods survive until I can put together a built motor. I'll push it, but I won't push it all the way until it has billet rods. I probably will only plumb one of the nitrous solenoids.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:37 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man I sure am glad I decided to peruse FTE. That is going to be so sick. Super jealous of the 05+ axles.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:08 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redman84
Man I sure am glad I decided to peruse FTE. That is going to be so sick. Super jealous of the 05+ axles.
Well look who the cat dragged in! How the hell you you been Jacob!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:35 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I'm going to bring the truck to Bryan/College Station for live tuning when it's done.

I got some work done on it this weekend. The firewall is finished and I have started putting the truck on a diet. I need to take some more stuff off the truck to gain access to the whole inner fender so I can take weight out of those. Once I'm done taking weight from the inner fenders I'll work on getting an engine back in there.
Name:  20161013_194909_zpss2sbukt9.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  160.2 KB
Name:  20161016_160747_zpsfm4nkgfz.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  205.8 KB
Name:  20161016_193224_zpszqlwjltj.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  242.6 KB

Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Looking good man! I hope you can get that 4 inch dp in there now.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:20 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know that they did live tuning in College Station. Who does it? (I'm in Burnet about 45 minutes west of Georgetown)

Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Gearhead I believe...

Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Yep, Gearhead is in Bryan. I'm loving his tunes so far.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:59 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Looking good man! I hope you can get that 4 inch dp in there now.
Downpipe!? What, no Hoodstack!? I thought that was what race trucks were for!?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:33 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Well look who the cat dragged in! How the hell you you been Jacob!
Hi Bill!! I been good man. Mostly just catching up on maintenance on my little diesel car. But speaking of sick trucks, it looks like I need to catch up on Big Red's build thread. That thing is mean!!

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I'm going to bring the truck to Bryan/College Station for live tuning when it's done.
Shoot me a text when you do if you still have my #. I'd like to see that go down.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ZachH
I didn't know that they did live tuning in College Station. Who does it? (I'm in Burnet about 45 minutes west of Georgetown)
Yeah, we have a sled pull in Burnet every year. Like they said, Gearhead Automotive is in Bryan. Unless you've got a decent amount of work done that causes reason for live tuning, it's easier to just get his mail or email tunes. The 4 tunes he emailed me for my SD were spot on first try. So no need to drive and pay extra for live tuning. lol

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Downpipe!? What, no Hoodstack!? I thought that was what race trucks were for!?
Nope, no hood stack. lol. It will get driven to street car meets and very likely raced at those, so a hood stack would cause issues there, plus I just prefer the single stack in the bed.

Shoot me a text when you do if you still have my #. I'd like to see that go down.
I still have your number. I'll holler if/when I'm up there for sure.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:58 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Didn't get a whole lot done tonight. Cleaned up the lightening holes I put in the frame and cross member and painted the rest of the front half of the frame... next I'll be taking the insulation junk off the top of the fender wells because its all torn up. Then I'll start prepping the new engine to go in.

Name:  20161018_204218_zps8y9hlevu.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  196.2 KB

Quick Reply: Because Race Truck