Sponsored by:

Got stuck in a ditch today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:34 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
On the topic of open diffs, I did something once and I wonder if it was a fluke or if it helped.

Back story: we were at Prairie City OHV (off road park), I was in my 97 Expedition, my buddies were all in their Toyota Tacomas.

Had a small rutted hill climb and no-one could get up it in their Toyotas. For giggles I tried my Expedition...4 low, 1st gear...got part way up and lost traction.

...I wondered if more resistance on that tire would help even out traction, so I rode the brakes (letting the throttle overpower the brakes) and I was able to pull up the hill - the Tacoma's couldn't.

Would riding the brake in that scenario (applying more resistance to the spinning wheel) make the diff throw more power to the opposite wheel, or was that just a fluke?
Every situation is different, but the process you described is what most modern SUVs use to mimic the effect of a LSD. They apply the brakes to the wheel that is spinning via the ABS system which caueses the power to go to the other wheel. My Sequoia is supposed to do this, Toyota's system (at least on the 1st gen sequois) is called ATRAC. It works to a degree, but its no substitute for a true LSD or Locker. And the Ex was way better then the Sequoia in the big storm we just had. Might be because you can't turn off Traction control part of the system so it keeps limiting the revs, whereas the Ex the spins its way out eventually.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:01 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
My Ex is my first and only truck to have a rear open diff and I HATE it. All my other trucks have had tight LSD's in them that worked well. I've driven many a mile locked in 4x4 for half a year and I know what to expect from a limited slip/locked rear end. There are times i'd rather have the rear end step out to one side or the other (yes on the road) to help avoid things, or just for fun. I know how to handle the rear end stepping out and it comes natural how to handle it.

When I get around to it a Detroit try-trac will be going into the Ex. and Yes i would have made it up that little hill in my driveway with 3 wheels turning, although i purposely got it stuck in that position. Nobody was in the truck it was just spinning by itself in drive haha
Have you used a truetrac in the rear ? If so did it spins both tires ?
The way mine worked was if a tire slipped it would transfer power to the wheel that wasn't slipping but it would never really locked up and spin both tires. They are good stout units, and I liked it in the front just fine but ended up taking it out of the rear. But I could see where for prodometily snow driving that might be a good attribute.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RVAExpedition

good lord you got mexican springs!

getting stuck in the ditch then these mexican springs from taco bell. im not sure about you, quite a black eye on the excursion community, HAHA

Old 02-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
My Ex is my first and only truck to have a rear open diff and I HATE it. All my other trucks have had tight LSD's in them that worked well. I've driven many a mile locked in 4x4 for half a year and I know what to expect from a limited slip/locked rear end. There are times i'd rather have the rear end step out to one side or the other (yes on the road) to help avoid things, or just for fun. I know how to handle the rear end stepping out and it comes natural how to handle it.

When I get around to it a Detroit try-trac will be going into the Ex. and Yes i would have made it up that little hill in my driveway with 3 wheels turning, although i purposely got it stuck in that position. Nobody was in the truck it was just spinning by itself in drive haha
quit wasting your money on led lights and put a arb or elocker in the rear. you could cheap out and get a ls or a detroit too. open diff is just totally boring.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:38 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Detroit lockers are indeed a great product but I found its quirks to be unsuitable for snowed over road conditions in a daily driver. Plus they eat tires like nobody's business.

Namely that going from being powered ( on the gas ) to coasting they have have a slight "bang" that on paved or dirt roads is noticeable but does not typically affect handeling, on a snowy slippery road that slight "bang" tends to cause both wheels to skid for just an instant but it is enough to break traction and get you sideways. You learn to drive it that and adapt to the handeling but I just think there are better choices. A selectable locker is my choice. I have many ARBs on several different vehicles and the only down fall I have found is the cost.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
quit wasting your money on led lights and put a arb or elocker in the rear. you could cheap out and get a ls or a detroit too. open diff is just totally boring.
Lights are not a waste

I would never want a selectable locker, reason being when it's not engaged you have a open diff.

I've never had a trutrac before, but i've had plenty of good limited slips which get both tires spinning if one looses traction. I was under the impression with the trutrac that if you loose traction it locks together like a locker.

In the case of the tires spinning, 3 tires spinning has a much better chance of getting you moving then 2

Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Detroit lockers are indeed a great product but I found its quirks to be unsuitable for snowed over road conditions in a daily driver. Plus they eat tires like nobody's business.

Namely that going from being powered ( on the gas ) to coasting they have have a slight "bang" that on paved or dirt roads is noticeable but does not typically affect handeling, on a snowy slippery road that slight "bang" tends to cause both wheels to skid for just an instant but it is enough to break traction and get you sideways. You learn to drive it that and adapt to the handeling but I just think there are better choices. A selectable locker is my choice. I have many ARBs on several different vehicles and the only down fall I have found is the cost.
seems like we can only agree arbs are the best, ive have great streetability with detroits. you must set them up wrong if your getting bangs and clunks

Old 02-05-2016, 07:24 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems like we can only agree arbs are the best, ive have great streetability with detroits. you must set them up wrong if your getting bangs and clunks
Are you kidding I get bangs & clunks out of my loc-rights in the SUPER ZUK They are much less of a locker that the Detroit. YOU DID make turns didn't you

Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
it couldhavebeen my straight pipes

Old 02-05-2016, 07:32 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
There is no "set up" to the locker, the gears yes but not the locker.

From Eatons website

When does a Detroit Locker lock?
The Detroit Locker is locked up 100% in a straight line or if you are spinning. The unit unlocks in a turn for the wheel that is turning the fastest.

When I step on and off the gas pedal, I hear the unit make a “clunking” noise. Why?
Because Detroit Lockers have “backlash” or “slack” between the drive and driven teeth and you will hear this in everyday use going through corners and when going from drive mode to coast mode. Also with the vehicle on the ground and the transmission in neutral you will have 1\4 to 1\3rd of a turn of lash in the driveshaft, this is completely normal.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Lights are not a waste

I would never want a selectable locker, reason being when it's not engaged you have a open diff.

I've never had a trutrac before, but i've had plenty of good limited slips which get both tires spinning if one looses traction. I was under the impression with the trutrac that if you loose traction it locks together like a locker.

In the case of the tires spinning, 3 tires spinning has a much better chance of getting you moving then 2
Don't get me wrong, the trutrac is a great product. IMHO the best of the limited slips on the market. and likely a great choice for your conditions.

yes both wheels can and do spin... until you are stuck and really need them to.
( only kinda joking )

anyhow, from Eatons website

Truetrac performs like an open differential. On wet, muddy, icy or loose terrain, imbalanced gear forces automatically transfer power to the wheel with the highest traction. The Truetrac limited-slip differential responds instantly to torque feedback, providing needed traction, anytime, at any speed. Truetrac differentials are engineered to work efficiently in front and rear axles and transfer cases.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
There is no "set up" to the locker, the gears yes but not the locker.

From Eatons website

When does a Detroit Locker lock?
The Detroit Locker is locked up 100% in a straight line or if you are spinning. The unit unlocks in a turn for the wheel that is turning the fastest.

When I step on and off the gas pedal, I hear the unit make a “clunking” noise. Why?
Because Detroit Lockers have “backlash” or “slack” between the drive and driven teeth and you will hear this in everyday use going through corners and when going from drive mode to coast mode. Also with the vehicle on the ground and the transmission in neutral you will have 1\4 to 1\3rd of a turn of lash in the driveshaft, this is completely normal.

I have a Detroit in the Chevelle and it's not exactly transparent, I 100% KNOW it's there. Having said that, the lighter the vehicle the more obvious it is in my experience. My F250 had one as well and it wasn't anywhere near as obvious.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot

Detroit TrueTrac

Based on the worm gear principal and works like clutch type positraction. Does not wear out, not recommended for tall tires over 33"
The only drawbacks to the Truetracs are their inability to provide lockup 100% like a locking differential can

well that rules allot of people out.

Quick Reply: Got stuck in a ditch today.