Good afternoon Jim, Shawn, Ken, Shaun, John, and everyone

White crap is all cleaned up..

Now slacking begins..

Hope your day is going good

Old 02-09-2016, 01:31 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Back from the hike. Cool but pretty day. Maybe an inch of frsh white snow and we were the only ones out. Good fun and good exercise. No one ice fishing on the lake.

Snowing on top. Couldn't make it to the fire tower from this side because of the ice. Even with crampons it was impossible - the ice was very hard and getting the crampons to stick was almost impossible. Might have made it up the rock face but coming down would have been another story.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,043 Likes on 1,613 Posts
Originally Posted by sbryan
Helen and I talked about hiking up Elmore this week if the schedule permits. Need to get out more. Elmore is an easy hike, nothing as tough as Hunger, but nice views from the tower. If we go I'll be sure to share some photos of all the brown Jim. Just no snow anywhere. Maybe an inch or two by tomorrow????
You are tougher than I am.........

Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,043 Likes on 1,613 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Shawn.......
On the far side of the lake.....about the middle, my folks owned a summer home back in the early 60's........Dad was stationed in the DC area when we went to Lake Elmore for a 2 week vacation. Everyone liked it so much, they purchased a cottage before we came back home.....Those were some special years......I first learned to sail on that lake....

Old 02-09-2016, 07:54 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
On the far side of the lake.....about the middle, my folks owned a summer home back in the early 60's........Dad was stationed in the DC area when we went to Lake Elmore for a 2 week vacation. Everyone liked it so much, they purchased a cottage before we came back home.....Those were some special years......I first learned to sail on that lake....
Small world. It is a pretty spot. Lots of lovely camps on the lake. Mostly handed down from one generation to the next. Seldom come on the market. The hike is good exercise - 4.4 miles with an elevation gain of about 2500 feet. We Army types have to be able to get out and hike and eat MRE's - you Navy guys get the fine china and fancy food - not a lot of places to hike on a ship.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 138 Likes on 134 Posts
Back from the hike. Cool but pretty day. Maybe an inch of frsh white snow and we were the only ones out. Good fun and good exercise. No one ice fishing on the lake.

Snowing on top. Couldn't make it to the fire tower from this side because of the ice. Even with crampons it was impossible - the ice was very hard and getting the crampons to stick was almost impossible. Might have made it up the rock face but coming down would have been another story.
That is a little tricky in the summer

Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
The state park campground is really nice and relaxing. Too bad the lake is full of milfoil weed

Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Nice pics Shawn...

Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 PM
KOESTNER
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good evening Vermont and Jim!

Thanks for sharing your pics Shawn.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:27 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Good morning Vermont and FTE land. Have a productive hump day. Got a dusting of snow overnight

Old 02-10-2016, 06:54 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by wildstang
That is a little tricky in the summer
Yup, I wasn't sure just how icy it would be but suspected it might be too much to try safely. I was right! Glad I was smart enough to stop at the remains of the caretakers hut and call it good.

The state park campground is really nice and relaxing. Too bad the lake is full of milfoil weed
Never camped at Elmore but it looks to be a really nice campground. I didn't realize the lake was so infested with milfoil. The beach is always crowded in summer.

Good morning Vermont and FTE land. Have a productive hump day. Got a dusting of snow overnight
We got a dusting here too but still not more than an inch of fresh snow over the last 2 days.

So the question is, what to do today? No meetings, no requirements. Hardly know what to do with a day off.

Maybe I just found the answer for what to do on a day off. But it's Lent....damn.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:11 AM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 247 Likes on 239 Posts
Morning Vermont.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:46 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 224 Likes on 182 Posts
Good morning Vermonters, do you know what day it is??

Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Yup, I wasn't sure just how icy it would be but suspected it might be too much to try safely. I was right! Glad I was smart enough to stop at the remains of the caretakers hut and call it good.

Never camped at Elmore but it looks to be a really nice campground. I didn't realize the lake was so infested with milfoil. The beach is always crowded in summer.

We got a dusting here too but still not more than an inch of fresh snow over the last 2 days.

So the question is, what to do today? No meetings, no requirements. Hardly know what to do with a day off.

Maybe I just found the answer for what to do on a day off. But it's Lent....damn.
Good morning Shawn. You could hike Spruce. Might have close to 2" of new snow total

Old 02-10-2016, 08:02 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Originally Posted by fire240
Morning Vermont.

Good morning Shaun. That would be a good start for the day

Quick Reply: Vermont February 2016 BS - hopefully mother nature shows some love with snow