1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Certification Label & VIN Decoder

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Post Certification Label & VIN Decoder

I've put up a decoder for the Certification Label, and I need some help on it. I need your opinions, please. (I know you have opinions, so here's a chance to share them. ) Here are my questions:
  1. Type of Cert Label decoder: As you'll see on that page, there are actually two decoders. The first one is almost done, lacking only the Body Code info, (Which is a REALLY large set of info and a big undertaking to present, so will wait a bit.) I like this one best as it has an example (but had to be corrected), so you can see how it is done. But, there's also another decoder below that one that is just the Cert Label itself. Which do you prefer?
  2. VIN Decoder: If you click on the VIN area in the Cert Label decoder you will be taken to a page that has all of the pertinent information you'll need to decode your VIN. But, I've not provided much explanation and there's no interactive "stuff" with it. In other words, you have to scroll and find it. I could make each letter/group of letters of the VIN a blue box/link to a page that lets you decode that letter/group of letters. Would that be better?
Again, this is your opportunity to share your opinions. And, I need them as I'd like to make this thing as useful as reasonably possible. So, please take a look and give me some feedback. PLEASE? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Update: I got the Body Code pages included. So, I think the decoder has all the info needed since everything else is just what it says. IOW, I don't need to decode the dates, GVWR, tire sizes, etc.

However, in playing with it just now I found that some of the blue hot links only work on one end. They work, but you have to look for the area where your cursor turns into a hand/finger. I'll see if I can figure out why and fix it, but if you see a trend please let me know.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:06 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
You're going through a loooooooooooottttttt of work on this, Gary, major kudos for this!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Thanks! But, such decoders must be an acquired taste as no one else responded. And, even you didn't answer the questions.

I think I'll assume the answers would be that the first Certification Label decoder is the better of the two and that the VIN decoder is perfect the way it is. That means I don't have any more work to do.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:26 AM
ctubutis
Only means I haven't looked at it real close to form an opinion - besides, my opinion shouldn't count for much IMO, the opinions of the masses have more weight than I do as *they* are the ones seeing this stuff for the first time and look at it from a user's perspective.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Only means I haven't looked at it real close to form an opinion - besides, my opinion shouldn't count for much IMO, the opinions of the masses have more weight than I do as *they* are the ones seeing this stuff for the first time and look at it from a user's perspective.
But, one opinion, regardless of how *massive* () it is or isn't, is a lot better than none.

Put another way, I'm so close to it I can't see any glaring errors.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:36 AM
ctubutis
Maybe I will get off work at a reasonable hour today (still dealing with the WordPress meltdown) and can find some time tonight.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Thanks. But, I was hoping that it wouldn't take much time. Just see which certification label decoder you prefer, and if the VIN decoder is simple to use.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 AM
ctubutis
I also like the first one better.

As for creating an online VIN decoder, don't bother; there are already several out there and none of them work entirely accurately; the one I have the most faith in is on fleet.ford.com someplace but even that one has messed up.

Point being, do you think you can do something better than what's already done? If you think the answer is yes, I'd make note of that task (on what is going to be a long list) and proceed on for right now....

Old 01-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm confused. I already have a VIN decoder. You get to it by clicking the blue box surrounding the VIN info on the Certification Label decoder. It does both 1980 and 1981-on. I'm just asking if it works for you.

So, are you telling me that you didn't see that? That's it is too hidden to find? Or, that it doesn't work or you don't understand it?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 AM
ctubutis
Likely that I'm confused...

VIN Decoder: If you click on the VIN area in the Cert Label decoder you will be taken to a page that has all of the pertinent information you'll need to decode your VIN. But, I've not provided much explanation and there's no interactive "stuff" with it. In other words, you have to scroll and find it. I could make each letter/group of letters of the VIN a blue box/link to a page that lets you decode that letter/group of letters. Would that be better?
That is the stuff to which I am saying to not bother. This pertains to the example at the bottom of the page, correct? Which is very much the same as the first one but without the explanatory list underneath it, right?

Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Now we may be getting somewhere. No, it doesn't pertain to the stuff at the bottom of the page. It has to do with the link in a blue box around the VIN on the certification label on the Certification Label page. That link takes you to my VIN decoder.

There weren't any words expressly saying the above, so I've now put some words and an arrow on the certification label pic. So, please go look at it, click the link, and then tell me if that VIN decoder works for you.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
And, not to confuse things, but the other option on the VIN decoder is to put up this picture with links to a page for each character/group of characters. So, instead of scrolling down the page to find the info for each character/group of characters, you'd just click and be taken to a page which had that info, and that info only.

NOTE: THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, AND IS NOT ACTIVE!

Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,157 Likes on 1,830 Posts
I like the VIN code break down and think it works great but...........
The cert label break down if we were to click on the "blue boxes" and it brought us to a list kind of like the VIN list so we can see what body colors/body code/trany code/F&R axle/stripe color (from 8/83)/spring codes and if at it dealer code.

That has all of the information needed to know what the truck "should" have in it and where you point some to check/post picture of so we can help them.
Say if the person does not know what trany they have.
Or for me my truck is in black primer wanting to know what color(s) it was. I see red but did not know it had a 2nd color other than the tag and a hint here & there.

Thanks for all the hard work. After entering data into excel spread sheets for laptop computers & soft ware tracking can drive you crazy.
TY
Dave ----

Old 01-19-2016, 04:27 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whitey is:
1FT Ford Motor Company USA Ford Truck (Complete vehicle)

H Class G 8501-9000 pounds

X26 80/ Super Cab pick up F 250 4/W/D (should also indicate HD as well)

F2 should be 7.3 Turbo Diesel , but your VIN decoder doesn't support it

T 1996

E is my assembly plant. Once again no support there. However , it is Jefferson County KY

Here is a link that you might find helpful Gary:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicl...Ford/VIN_Codes

The VIN decoder on your website didnt support any of the diesels. I dont think it had support for the 460 either.

On edit: it does support he 6.9,7.3 NA diesel and the 7.5 gasser (460)

Quick Reply: Certification Label & VIN Decoder