2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Disappointed with 2015 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I understand your frustration. Most sales people these days know nothing of the product they sell. Actually, the 4 square sales model that dealers use, make it unnecessary for the sales staff do anything but hook you for someone else to reel in.

The link above is for a company that offers OEM Sync for much less than the price on the window sticker, that's what I'd do. I wonder if they will offer a Sync 3 option in the future.

Sadly, the customer must do all the work to become informed about anything they are shopping for from basic items to vehicles to real estate and investing. I often remark about how little knowledge sales people have these days. It's rare to find one that knows their product in and out. I've learned to shop at specialty stores now when I'm making a significant purchase. Not as easy to do with vehicles. I've found that the bigger "volume" dealers that say "all we do is discount..." generally don't know their product. When I pull up and there are half a dozen slicky boy salesman in bad suits standing outside waiting for a victim, I just drive away.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:53 PM
Outdoors4life
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my truck I went to 3 dealerships and 2 of the 3 were very knowledgeable of the F150 and were wonderful.
If the Nav was at the top of the list it is sad that the salesman did not find it. I spend under 3 hours at the dealership that I bought my truck at. Went over everything. Being in a hurry is never a good thing for sure. $200-$300 and you can get a stand alone unit that has traffic updates as well.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:23 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I say shame on the salesman who sold you the truck. To me it sounds like he took advantage of the fact that you were in hurry. As I call B.S. on him being in a hurry. I certainly wouldn't accept that as any sort of an excuse on his/her part. You paid them for their time as did the customer he/she had before you and the next after you. He/she should have made certain that you knew exactly what you were getting before saying fair well to you. If I were you I would use that as a reason to not do any future business with that dealer again. And the navigation tab on the infotainment screen is for the turn by turn navigation offered by sync. And quite honestly probably better then the SD card nav. system that Ford offers. One major difference is the fact that the sync system is a live feed system that can alter a route in the event of an accident, a change in weather, or traffic changes of any sort. Which is something that the Ford and Garmin as well as other systems like those can't do. If nothing else comes of this, at least you can chalk it up to a learning experience for not making large decisions in a hurry.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM
Outdoors4life
Junior User
Garmin does give you the option to reroute when there is heavy traffic and tell you if there is an accident ahead. Mine does and here is a link to one that is like mine.
Amazon.com : Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic : Commercial Trucking Gps Units : GPS & Navigation Amazon.com : Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic : Commercial Trucking Gps Units : GPS & Navigation

This is one of the reasons I did not get GPS in my vehicle.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:50 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I've had several Garmins over the years and also purchased the lifetime maps. The issue I had with those maps is each update requires more memory. At some point you'll find yourself deleting map sections just so you can fit in what you mostly use into available memory. The lifetime maps were not that great of a deal.

If the OP had Navigation on his original order (or bill of sales) the dealer has to provide it for him.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:59 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Morgan
To be honest, I thought it was installed. I'm not looking at right now, but it has an icon that I thought was the navigation. Again, we were in a hurry as well as the salesman was in a hurry too. I was asked earlier if I was happy with the truck. Well, I can also add that Ford definitely doesn't build the Ford tough trucks like they used too. Even a bumper pull camper that weighs in about 5500 pounds made it necessary for me to put in airbags I've pretty much written this off as a learning experience. But I'm truly disappointed that a company that I used to work for that used to be about customer satisfaction seems to not care any more.
I would have checked closer. do you have Max tow? I know you can use your VIN to check what the truck was ordered with. sounds like you assumed. a 1/2 ton will sag compared to a 3/4 ton. I have a max tow truck, and its GVWR is higher than a 3/4 ton I owned years ago....lol

Old 01-17-2016, 02:59 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Outdoors4life
Garmin does give you the option to reroute when there is heavy traffic and tell you if there is an accident ahead. Mine does and here is a link to one that is like mine.
Amazon.com : Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic : Commercial Trucking Gps Units : GPS & Navigation

This is one of the reasons I did not get GPS in my vehicle.
True, but you have to initiate the re-route. Which can be difficult to do on the fly. Especially when there isn't a quick place to pull over. And often times it ends up trying to direct right back to where you need to avoid. Whereas the sync system and live feed mobile nav. systems automatically re-route you, and often times long before you even know that there is an issue up ahead.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:04 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I've had several Garmins over the years and also purchased the lifetime maps. The issue I had with those maps is each update requires more memory. At some point you'll find yourself deleting map sections just so you can fit in what you mostly use into available memory. The lifetime maps were not that great of a deal.

If the OP had Navigation on his original order (or bill of sales) the dealer has to provide it for him.
I totally agree that the dealer should provide the OP with the nav. system since it was on his demand list and the salesman told him the truck had the system. However the loop hole here is that the truck does have the sync turn by turn navigation. Therefore technically the truck does have navigation. Just not what the OP thought he was getting and wanted.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:04 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by paredneck33
I say shame on the salesman who sold you the truck. To me it sounds like he took advantage of the fact that you were in hurry. As I call B.S. on him being in a hurry. I certainly wouldn't accept that as any sort of an excuse on his/her part. You paid them for their time as did the customer he/she had before you and the next after you. He/she should have made certain that you knew exactly what you were getting before saying fair well to you. If I were you I would use that as a reason to not do any future business with that dealer again. And the navigation tab on the infotainment screen is for the turn by turn navigation offered by sync. And quite honestly probably better then the SD card nav. system that Ford offers. One major difference is the fact that the sync system is a live feed system that can alter a route in the event of an accident, a change in weather, or traffic changes of any sort. Which is something that the Ford and Garmin as well as other systems like those can't do. If nothing else comes of this, at least you can chalk it up to a learning experience for not making large decisions in a hurry.
I wholeheartedly agree. seems to me a goodsalesman would want you to be happy so will buy again from him again?

Old 01-17-2016, 03:10 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by brokenleg
I would have checked closer. do you have Max tow? I know you can use your VIN to check what the truck was ordered with. sounds like you assumed. a 1/2 ton will sag compared to a 3/4 ton. I have a max tow truck, and its GVWR is higher than a 3/4 ton I owned years ago....lol
Just because the truck is capable of handling the weight doesn't mean that the truck won't sag. This is especially true given the long rear leaf spring packs that these trucks are equipped with. The longer springs give the softer more comfortable ride when unloaded and can support large loads of weight. But the down side is the truck will sag faster when a load is added. However a weight distributing hitch should solve this issue since it transfers more weight to the front axle of the truck.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:23 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
If the salesperson tried to pass the sync turn by turn navigation as built in system, that sounds like deceptive sales practices. Contact your Ford dealer, try to get ahold of Crystal on this site or try to get ahold of Ford Customer service.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Don Morgan
New User
Now I'll give a little more information. First of all, I didn't go into this blind, and in fact used to work at one of the nations highest selling Ford dealerships as a Used and New vehicle manager. My specialty was trucks and vans. I've also been pulling trailers for years and have knowledge as to weight distribution hitches, although everything I pull, does not have a huge tongue weight, still causes excessive sag in the rear end. Yes, i was also told afterwards that they Ford F150 is not really made to handle the same weights as the earlier F150s due to so many city people wanting a car ride. The airbags handle any weight I put on it now with no issues. As for the navigation, I tried the system that was included that some were praising. When I tried it, I had a very hard time trying to get a destination found, then it took a long time to find my location. I spent about 15 minutes going through the prompts, and then once it was done, I lost the service about 10 minutes later. As far as I'm concerned, the entire entertainment center should be scrapped. I don't want sirius radio (which also irratates me that they try to pester you to continue after the trial 6 months). What also is bad, was that I was told by the dealership and Ford that my truck COULD not be equipped with the navigation due to that it wasn't wired for that. That was obviously a lie from the sites you all have pointed out to me, which I need to say thank you for that information. Obviously, times have changed since I worked for Ford. My salesman were taught that customer satisfaction was top priority and I would also do everything in my power to make sure that we got 100% approvals from the customer as well.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That's cool. I honestly had always also been told you couldn't just add navigation. Now I will say this.... if you do this, even if the dealership were to install it, then this computer would NOT be covered under warranty. The warranty is built off the factory build, so if there was a problem the couldn't repair it for you under warranty. They couldn't even give you another factory unit because the claim requires a broken core, and your factory core would not be broken, and the broken one would not match the right part number.

Has anyone tried then taking the sync 3 computer and dropping it in a '15 prior? (sorry OP for off topic question)

To the OP, one other option is using your phone for navigation and music. I use Waze and downloaded MP3s and it gives me voice navigation and I just prop my screen somewhere I can see it. Factory nav is nice, but not on it's nicest day do I think it's worth $800

Old 01-18-2016, 03:17 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
I tried waze several times and just didn't have good luck. It is ok for short trips. It can't calculate a route on long trips, so you have to break the trip into several short trips. It crashes and hangs plus you get in areas with poor reception you are on your own. Then all those stupid cartoon characters, bows & pacifiers just clutter up the screen and make it hard to use. I'll take my built in navigation system.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Haha, I have a Robot! And yeah, it does require data reception.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with 2015 F150