Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange sound (steering/suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Strange sound (steering/suspension)

Tonight on my way home I noticed a slight creaking sound, coming from front driver side, opening the window it was more noticeable. So when I got home I have tried to locate the source, it is the same with or without the engine running & you can hear it by rocking the steering just a little left to right. It sounds like a dry bush, I had my good lady rocking the wheel while I climbed underneath but couldn't pinpoint it, so I climbed up on the fender with my weight on the radiator support & the battery cover, when she turned the wheel the sound was almost gone but as soon as I jumped off it was back! I then tried rocking the truck from the driver side fender & the sound is there but not quite so pronounced, Any suggestions before I spray everything with WD40 (don't know if you have that over there but it usually quietens things like this!) There is no play on anything anywhere & the truck has only around 32k miles.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
Tonight on my way home I noticed a slight creaking sound, coming from front driver side, opening the window it was more noticeable. So when I got home I have tried to locate the source, it is the same with or without the engine running & you can hear it by rocking the steering just a little left to right. It sounds like a dry bush, I had my good lady rocking the wheel while I climbed underneath but couldn't pinpoint it, so I climbed up on the fender with my weight on the radiator support & the battery cover, when she turned the wheel the sound was almost gone but as soon as I jumped off it was back! I then tried rocking the truck from the driver side fender & the sound is there but not quite so pronounced, Any suggestions before I spray everything with WD40 (don't know if you have that over there but it usually quietens things like this!) There is no play on anything anywhere & the truck has only around 32k miles.
Yep, we have heard about this wd40 stuff..... (see below). 32,000 miles....? omg, you have a new/old truck..... I would think that you would be having a lot of bushings (ect) dry rotting with such little use. Hose down the area with the wd40 and see what happens. You can not hurt anything, just do not spray it on a hot engine.
History[edit]

WD-40 was developed in 1953 by Norman Larsen,[2] founder of the Rocket Chemical Company, in San Diego, California. 'WD-40' is abbreviated from the term 'Water Displacement, 40th formula', suggesting it was the result of Larsen's 40th attempt to create the product.[1] The spray, composed of various hydrocarbons, was originally designed to be used by Convair to protect the outer skin and, more importantly, the paper-thin balloon tanks of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion.[3][4] These stainless steel fuel tanks were so fragile that when empty they had to be kept inflated with nitrogen to prevent them from collapsing. WD-40 was later found to have many household uses[1] and was made available to consumers in San Diego in 1958.[3]

Old 01-06-2016, 06:12 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original WD-40 is a good first aid solvent. But once it dries, what was squeaking will squeak again. Depending on what the source of the noise is, either a dry silicone spray, or white lithium grease, or some other lubricant (including those made by WD-40) will give you a long term fix.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Strokerboy73
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start by greasing all your zerk fittings, if it doesn't help try your best to pin point where it is, if you can't then spray penetrant grease part by part till it stops then the last you sprayed is what's squeaking. Replace it if needed the penetrant will have it stop squeak for only a day or so.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:08 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Problem solved

After spraying literally every moving part & bush with WD40 there was no improvement. So today I had a mate work the steering while I checked again. Finally spotted a tiny bit of movement where the track bar bracket is bolted to the frame/cross member. The bolt that holds the bracket on was just loose enough to allow the movement, one flat & it's not going anywhere. Oh & I love my dually again!