1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket review camera option

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:56 AM
CJF350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket review camera option

I usually order my trucks and had every intention of ordering a new 17' they day it was available,...but my bed rotted out and was having little electrical glitches go wrong here and there and decided it was new truck time since I couldn't get myself to put another penny in my 05'.
That being said I found a 2016 on a local dealers lot with every option I wanted EXCEPT the rear view camera. And with the holiday rebate I was sold! Another member showed me a nice factory looking camera from CAMERASOURCE.com They have one for $600 that comes with the OEM Ford rear view mirror with camera,....but they also have a $300 one that plugs to the stereo screen that comes with Lariats, King Ranch ,etc
Problem is I only have an XLT (no 8" screen) but I do have the small 4.2 LCD screen in the instrument cluster between the speedometer and tach. Is there any way to hook the camera up to that screen,...or since its only a "productivity screen" will a camera not work and I have to go the expensive rear mirror route?

Old 01-06-2016, 03:10 PM
NotURMailman
Senior User
I do not believe that display on your cluster is capable of displaying video from a camera.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 PM
CJF350
Freshman User
Thanks, I was kinda figuring that but was worth a shot!

Old 01-06-2016, 07:03 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
i have the 4.2" screen in an F-150, and it displays the backup camera through that screen.

So I would think that yours wouldn't be all that different?

My Tacoma displays the backup camera through a screen that is built into the rear view mirror. A little bit smaller, but very usable.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 PM
CJF350
Freshman User
Awesome! Thanks GlueGuy. Just to verify you are talking about the screen between the tach and speedometer correct?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CJF350
Awesome! Thanks GlueGuy. Just to verify you are talking about the screen between the tach and speedometer correct?
Whoops. No. On my truck it is above the radio/CD/Sirius. Center of the console, center of the truck.

There's another screen between the speedo & tach. Not sure what size that is.

i can snap a picture if you'd like.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:33 PM
CJF350
Freshman User
No it's OK. That's the 8" screen that the factory and/or aftermarket camera shows up on. I have an LCD "productivty screen" in my XLT but as another member said it probably wont display a camera. It just tells MPG, compass, tranny temp, etc etc. And unfortunately I do not have the 8" screen in the stereo dept. in my truck
Thanks for clarifying though!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:12 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
So you've got no screen at all above the stereo? Mine is, in fact, a 4" screen, and there is another (approximately) 4" screen above the steering wheel. I guess I didn't realize that the F-250 might be that "different".

Old 01-06-2016, 10:56 PM
CJF350
Freshman User
Yeah the Super Duty's have an 8" screen with the Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum packages. But I have seen pics with the 150's and their 4" screen above the stereo. Unfortunately I have no screen, just a stereo, and will have to buy the whole kit with the new OEM mirror. Oh well I'll live! I was just hoping to make it easier hooking my trailer up when I'm alone, but may not even buy the camera as I never had one before so it's not like I am not used to taking 3 or 4 attempts in and out of the truck until I get it right!

Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 AM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with a 3rd party radio that supports a backup camera. You can get a nice display, it's built-in and not something stuck to your windshield or the dash and they can work pretty good.

I'm happy with a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX and Pioneer ND-BC6 camera in my truck, nice wide field of view, good night vision [brighter/more clear than even looking backwards out the window], automatically goes on when I put it in reverse. I also like it's Carplay support, and that's why it's more expensive ($600US when I bought it), but you can get cheaper ones that support camera's without Carplay/Android Auto support.

It works great for lining up to a trailer or backing up in a parking lot. In my Sierra 3500 flatbed, I can back up to within a couple of inches to the vehicle behind me no problem.

If you do go this route, I would suggest first pick out the radio you want, then a camera that works with that radio [in general, they're compatible, pretty standard composite video signal], and finally, spend time researching the right harness for your specific truck, that supports the features of your truck and the features of the radio.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:58 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CJF350
Yeah the Super Duty's have an 8" screen with the Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum packages. But I have seen pics with the 150's and their 4" screen above the stereo. Unfortunately I have no screen, just a stereo, and will have to buy the whole kit with the new OEM mirror. Oh well I'll live! I was just hoping to make it easier hooking my trailer up when I'm alone, but may not even buy the camera as I never had one before so it's not like I am not used to taking 3 or 4 attempts in and out of the truck until I get it right!
Bummer dude. I wonder if you could fit the Tacoma camera/screen into your truck? The Tacoma has the backup screen in the rear view mirror, and even though it's not as big, it's a lot closer to your face. I find it as easy, or even easier (to see) than the one in my F-150.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:33 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Most tuners have the ability to use backup camera. Not sure if you plan to run one on your truck but just thought to put that idea out there. I have a screen on my dash now cheap Ebay one but thinking of installing a nice double din stereo soon that has that feature.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:56 PM
TimWaite
Junior User
Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TimWaite
Just finished putting a jensen double din in. Also did a backup camera and hooked it to one of my upfitter switches. Flip the switch and there it is.
Stereo: Amazon.com : Jensen VX7020 2 DIN Multimedia Receiver, 6.2" Touch Screen with Bluetooth & Built-in USB Port (Black/Black) : Car Electronics
Backup cam: Amazon.com: Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED: Electronics
I also changed the 4 stock speakers with new kenwoods and put in 2 rockford fosgate boxes behind the seat
I like this Jensen head unit but my question would is does any back up camera install into this unit as long as it is using RCA cables? Right now I have a wireless one that connects to my monitor on dash but would be curious if I could just buy stereo and use existing wireless camera. If not they are cheap anyhow just thought to ask. How much are you paying for satelite radio or did you not install that on your truck?

Old 01-09-2016, 09:09 PM
TimWaite
Junior User
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
I like this Jensen head unit but my question would is does any back up camera install into this unit as long as it is using RCA cables? Right now I have a wireless one that connects to my monitor on dash but would be curious if I could just buy stereo and use existing wireless camera. If not they are cheap anyhow just thought to ask. How much are you paying for satelite radio or did you not install that on your truck?
The camera plug is labeled as such and it is an rca connection. Not sure about a wireless camera, but from what I understand, any camera with rca will work. I didn't think about a wireless, but would have been a bit easier. Ran the cable back, put power to the camera, and nothing. Finally figured out that whatever power goes to the stereo camera has to be run to the camera...run some more wiring lol. Flip the switch and it automatically switches. As for the satelite, I actually have a portable job. Boombox in my shop and a mount in my pickup. I hooked that up to the secondary rca inputs on my stereo. The gps part seems decent. I really haven't used it yet. It has a micro sd card. I still need to figure out why it won't show the artist/song when I plug my ipod in. It does control it though.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket review camera option