1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2013 E150 Rear AC fan won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 AM
4_Econolines
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2013 E150 Rear AC fan won't shut off

We just purchased a used 2013 Econoline passenger wagon with the factory rear AC/Heater. This model has the rear fan control switch on the dash only, as our 2002 Traveller E150 has a rear fan control switch for the back seat passengers to operate as well.
When I turn the rear fan switch to off, the rear fan still blows in the low speed mode. Our 2002 shuts the fan off when in the off position.
Is the rear fan not shutting off the way the rear fan should operate, or did the previous owner modify the wiring to keep the fan always circulating when the AC/heat/vent function switch is not in the off position? (both fans do shutoff when the function switch is off).
I have searched for switch wiring diagrams for this year model, but not found the correct one yet. Before taking the dash apart to access the switch wiring, I was wanting to see if any one may know if this is the way it should operate.
Thanks for your help.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:15 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe it should operate as you describe. I recommend Wiring diagrams a test light and a multimeter. If I didn't know any better it sound like a bad switch or a short to power through the resistor on the lowest setting.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 PM
delgriffith
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it's behaving the same as the front, which is on unless the function switch is set to off. That's an awfully new vehicle to have goofy stuff like that but it seems to me the most likely thing would be that the rear switch was replaced with the wrong switch or never had the right switch in the first place. The front switch keeps sending power even on the lowest setting, so maybe somehow one of those switches was wired into the rear. You could unplug the rear switch wiring to see if your rear fan stops. If it does, I'd think that it has to be a switch problem.

BTW, it's not too bad to pull off the dash. It just snaps in/out. I wrestle with getting it all the way off due to the shift lever, but you may be able to do what you need to without getting it all the way off. Just go slow with it and don't force things too much.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:33 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I believe both front and rear fans continue to turn albeit slowly even if the speed is set to "off"---assuming the function control is also not in the "off" position. Since wing windows or vent glasses were eliminated a version of constant air flow commonly used in the HVAC industry for environmental control of buildings. This feature tends to stop human respiration's moisture from collecting inside the cabin, almost always on the windshield and door glass first.

Does the blower motor and function control "pod" show a "rear control" detent on the rear fan speed control? That could affect some of this.

I'm sure most of us have encountered the overheated and partially melted blower speed switches----not at all uncommon but might not be the case with a 2013 E-Series----tends to happen after a few more years, sometimes taking as long as 10 before showing itself.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:10 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the owner's manual:
Note:
A small amount of air may be felt from the floor air vents
regardless of the air distribution setting.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../13ecoom3e.pdf
jim

Old 12-30-2015, 08:30 PM
4_Econolines
New User
Wiring Diagram shows rear fan should turn off

I received the Ford wiring diagram book today that I ordered off eBay, for the 2013 E-Series vans.
From everything I can see, the rear AC/Heater fan should shut off completely when the front panel rear fan switch is in the off position.
The wiring diagram for the front fan switch does show it to always be running, when the system is not in the 'Off' position, like has been said.
I will take the dash apart again this weekend and let you know what I find. Either the wrong speed switch is installed on the rear fan on the dash, or there is something else going on with the switch. I looked at the blower motor resistor last weekend, and there are only 3 wires going to it, which agrees with the wiring diagram of the auxiliary (rear) blower motor. So it has to be in the main dash controls.
All I know, is that when the front AC is on (with the temperature in the warmer position to lessen the humidity in the van), the rear AC is putting out cold air, and there is no was to shut it off. And, my wife does not like that! So I will get it fixed.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:47 PM
4_Econolines
New User
From the wiring diagram, the rear (auxiliary) ac/heater fan should not operate when the dash rear fan speed switch is in off. I have taken panels off, dash apart, unplugged connectors, multiple times. From the front wiring harness connector to the rear fan connector, there should be no connections, yet the low speed wire is grounded. This keeps the fan always running when the system is not off. When I have more time, I will remove the interior side panel on the drivers side and inspect the wiring harness for grounds.
But, in the mean time, today, I disconnected the low speed wire from the front fan speed switch at the rear fan speed resistor, and taped it off. It will not now blow in off or low speeds. But, to give some more speed selections, I rewired the rear blower resistor connector, to allow the fan to run on low speed or high speed. The medium speed resistor is not now used. Without showing the wiring diagram, it is a little hard to explain.
But, for whatever reason of the rear fan always blowing (unlike what the wiring diagram shows), I now have the rear fan turning off when the dash rear fan speed switch is off.