1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New to diesel, 7.3 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 01:51 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to diesel, 7.3 won't turn over

Ok, so i got myself a 1997 CCLB 7.3, automatic , about a month ago. i am lucky enough to have another car and dont drive it too much. I parked the truck shortly after buying it and it was running perfectly. So i try to start it yesterday morning and nothing . It gets me thinking that maybe the batteries are low. I charge them fully and still nothing. Now i start going through forums and read that if you short the starter relay the truck should turn. I try that and it starts turning but no ignition. I go and buy a new relay and still nothing. I short the new relay and it again turns but again no ignition. So i get a second relay and it still does the same thing. I was thinking of changing the starter but if shorting the relay turns it, then the problem is before the relay.
Any thought on what i should do next. i would really appreciate all the help i could get.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Check and see if you are getting power to the little wires on the starter relay. When you turn the key to start. Maybe you have a crappy ground?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:04 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by gurinder_s_gill
Ok, so i got myself a 1997 CCLB 7.3, automatic , about a month ago. i am lucky enough to have another car and dont drive it too much. I parked the truck shortly after buying it and it was running perfectly. So i try to start it yesterday morning and nothing . It gets me thinking that maybe the batteries are low. I charge them fully and still nothing. Now i start going through forums and read that if you short the starter relay the truck should turn. I try that and it starts turning but no ignition. I go and buy a new relay and still nothing. I short the new relay and it again turns but again no ignition. So i get a second relay and it still does the same thing. I was thinking of changing the starter but if shorting the relay turns it, then the problem is before the relay.
Any thought on what i should do next. i would really appreciate all the help i could get.
Check and see your steering column for two loose bolts on the back, theres no missing it retighten them and try or just try to start it in neutral

Old 12-13-2015, 02:29 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
Ok so i went out and took some pictures.

http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Gu...g.html?filters[user]=144427496&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Which screws should i be looking at. I tried to start it in neutral but no luck.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:31 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
oops no pictures. ill try again

Old 12-13-2015, 02:34 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
Old 12-13-2015, 02:35 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
Also i noticed that that this sensor is unplugged and covered off. What does this do

Old 12-13-2015, 02:39 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
Now this is the starter relay. Where should i be measuring voltage. I have a multimeter but i am no so good with electricals.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:48 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Last photo, that small wire with the push-on terminal - remove it (just pulls off) and check for voltage there while an assistant holds the key in the START position. That's the coil trigger wire from the ignition switch. Should be voltage there ONLY with key in START. If no voltage, the problem is upstream - ignition switch, neutral switch, associated wiring. If you do have voltage, problem is downstream, most likely the starter relay itself.

That's a replacement relay, BTW. So it started previously with that relay? That would indicate that the coil circuit is grounded through the case mounting, even though there's a fourth terminal on it. That's fine; just keep track of which small terminal the ignition switch wire uses.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:44 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
Thanks Madpoque. So this is what i did. Hope this is how it was supposed to be measured. For the push tab wire that is on the ignition terminal , there is no current. No matter if the key is pushed to start or no. I measured it by putting one lead of the multi meter in the push tab ignition wire and grounding the other multi-meter lead to the body of the truck

Also the relay on the in the photograph is the after market relay. I have the OEM on me with which the truck started the last time. I was just lazy changing the relay back to the OEM after switching 3 different relays.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:26 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That's the correct setup, except set the meter on the 20V range and retest, just to be sure. But in all likelihood, if you got no voltage at all on that test, it's most likely the "upstream" stuff mentioned above.

Did the OEM relay TEST bad? Are you sure the replacement relay is case-grounded? If not, then re-install the OEM relay. Then put a jumper wire between the battery + terminal and the small terminal on the relay. If that gets the engine to crank (don't worry about actually starting it), then the relay is good.

One thing you might try - shift to Neutral, hold the key in the START position with one hand, and work the shifter from Neutral toward Reverse and toward Drive. If the starter catches at any time while you do this, then the neutral switch (NSS, aka trans range sensor or TRS) is out of adjustment or faulty.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:42 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
Thanks Madpoque, the OEM relay is good. ill put it back in tomorrow. it is already dark outside. Ill try to do this tomorrow day time and update. Thanks everybody for trying to help me out.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:32 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
Ok so the curiosity got the best of me and i went out and put the truck in neutral and i tried to start it. Nothing happened. So i move the lever towards reverse all the while holding the key in start with other hand. The starter does not catch on but i hear a click click click. Like the solenoid is kicking in. Ill put the batteries on charge now ( i have been playing with it all day) and try again tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 PM
gurinder_s_gill
Freshman User
so tried again by moving the lever while holding the key in start. The starter clicked in . I think it wants to start but the batteries are too far gone at this point. Put them on charging. will update tomorrow if it kicks in.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:01 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you load test the batteries? You can show plenty of voltage but still not have enough power to support the amp draw.. Same thing happened to me last year.. Have the batteries properly tested.

Quick Reply: New to diesel, 7.3 won't turn over