Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Worst Halogen Headlights Ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 01:45 PM
leikos
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't get it. Every vehicle forum I've ever been a part of has people complaining about how awful the factory headlamps are. The only vehicles I've ever driven with what I thought were substandard headlamps were heavy trucks.
It all comes down to the constant increase in all the other light out there. Brighter streetlights, brighter headlights, LED tail lights that are practically blinding on some cars, etc. Take all that, then switch to a vehicle with a gigantic blue instrument cluster and mood lighting that blows out whatever night vision you still had, and suddenly your headlights are too dim. I'd bet good money that the halogen headlights are objectively just as bright as any they've made before, if not brighter.

On a related note - the police here have 'upgraded' their lights recently to super bright LEDs, and I almost hit a cop in an intersection the other day as a result. Black uniforms, at night, surrounded by super bright flashing blue strobes - not a good combination.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Very interesting Leikos, that makes sense.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Paul_Bukowski
Junior User
I don't know why LED lights are not available when you get the plow prep option. The 502A package is the only package that includes the LEDs and that is absolutely not available as soon as you choose the plow prep option. I would think the LEDs would use less power, which would actually be more favorable with a plow. Then again the truck headlights are off and the plow headlights are on when the plow is connected anyway. I don't understand Ford's thinking on that. Furthermore, when you get plow prep, Amber strobe lights should also be offered. What a hassle putting strobes in.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Paul_Bukowski
Junior User
Originally Posted by TractorM3
Why would they not offer LED with the plow prep?

I just got a kit from Raptor Retrofit and the morimoto LED fog lights. I don't think you will be amazed at the fog lights but I love the LED headlights.
I just replied to your question in my own post later on in this thread. I ordered my led fog lights from the same place, waiting for them to arrive.

Wow, your led headlight upgrade looks awesome! Did you buy them at Raptor Retofits too! Was it all plug n play doing the upgrade from halogen to led? Any problems?

Old 12-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Paul_Bukowski
Junior User
LED Headlight Conversion Kit (whole headlight assembly's)
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/fo...grade-kit.html

LED Fog light Conversion Kit (whole light assembly's)
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...-platinum.html

Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM
grimmwit
Trailering
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've noticed on my 2015 + Halogens, there is a marked distinction edge of the illumination pattern, especially at the top of the light pattern. It doesn't fade to dark - it's like there is a dark line at the top of the illuminated area. This is very apparent when approaching the bottom of a hill just before heading back uphill - you can't see anything on the uphill side without brights turned on. I wonder if this focus pattern might be part of what the original poster is seeing.......

Old 12-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford has a strobe kit for the SuperDuties, but I've never seen one for the F150 as a Ford Accessory. 'Too few F150s get the plow prep so I don't think they'll bother too much with it.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:36 AM
TractorM3
Senior User
I got them at raptor retrofit, not retrofit source. Yes I got the LEDs from him and it was all plug and play. There is a module that is needed. Plus he did a custom job and made white outlines that switch to Amber when turn signal is activated. Best money I ever spent.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:38 AM
TractorM3
Senior User

Originally Posted by TractorM3
I got them at raptor retrofit, not retrofit source. Yes I got the LEDs from him and it was all plug and play. There is a module that is needed. Plus he did a custom job and made white outlines that switch to Amber when turn signal is activated. Best money I ever spent.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:55 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by grimmwit
I've noticed on my 2015 + Halogens, there is a marked distinction edge of the illumination pattern, especially at the top of the light pattern. It doesn't fade to dark - it's like there is a dark line at the top of the illuminated area. This is very apparent when approaching the bottom of a hill just before heading back uphill - you can't see anything on the uphill side without brights turned on. I wonder if this focus pattern might be part of what the original poster is seeing.......
I've heard this referred to as the "eyebrow effect" and have seen it on many new cars with halogen lights. I read that it happens because of the design of the reflector used with these brighter bulbs to keep from blinding approaching drivers.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 AM
AngeloCosma
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Paul_Bukowski
I don't know why LED lights are not available when you get the plow prep option. The 502A package is the only package that includes the LEDs and that is absolutely not available as soon as you choose the plow prep option. I would think the LEDs would use less power, which would actually be more favorable with a plow. Then again the truck headlights are off and the plow headlights are on when the plow is connected anyway. I don't understand Ford's thinking on that. Furthermore, when you get plow prep, Amber strobe lights should also be offered. What a hassle putting strobes in.
I had an 07 F150 Screw XLT that I put strobes in myself. I used a hole saw bit attached to my drill and boy was it nerve-racking drilling into the headlight and taillight housings.

I think with the LED lights on the 2015s and up the strobes no longer work, because the strobe needs to reflect off the reflective portions that the lamps use in the housing. Since LED is all light and there really no flat surface in the lens due to their design the strobes would ruin the look, and when in operation probably not cast much light, that's my two cents anyways.

Whenever I get my 2015 or 16 maybe there will be a way to insert the strobe tubes in there, and if so I am in!

Here was my 07 just after the install.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:17 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whelen, Feniex, and others now sell pop-in LEDs that still require drilling the housing, but don't need a strobe power supply (and the higher power consumption, high-voltage cabling, etc. that come with it). They are far more effective than strobes...

Old 12-14-2015, 07:05 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Hmm, i find them better then my 2010 f150, thought it might be the dual bulbs vs the single on my old truck. But, never good enough, gonna be adding a big ol 42 inch led bar soon, just need to fab up brackets.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:25 PM
fourplay
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been thinking of getting these Custom Ford F150 LED Lights - F150LEDs.com? 2015 HEADLIGHT CREE SYSTEM much cheaper than 1600

Old 12-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I was thinking about this thread this evening as I was driving along a dark section of rural highway. I really think my factory halogen lights are pretty good. Nobody was behind me, so I stopped to take a couple photos:

Low beams:

High beams:

Quick Reply: Worst Halogen Headlights Ever