1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F100... I call her Reece.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by green53
The holley 500 2 barrel is what I have on my 268 flathead, some say it's too much for it also. I had to adjust the accelerator pump ramp, and you may need to set the throttle so it doesn't open 100% , just keep checking you plug colour after every adjustment until they are nice brown. Cheers.
Thanks for the tip green53!

Anyone have experience with overdrives? The 3 speed on the tree has overdrive, but is not working correctly. It feels like it is stuck in OD, because when I coast in 2nd and 3rd gear, I have zero engine brake. When pulling the OD cable, does that disengage the OD? Any tips on repair?

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Finally got under the truck today. Got some oil leaks here and there. Motor ID is EBV6015E, so I definitely have a 239.

Where do you guys order your maintenance parts? Also looking for a gasket kit.

I manually locked out the overdrive and it still stutters on take off.

EBV6015E

Old 12-07-2015, 06:07 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 784 Likes on 384 Posts
Our vendors like MidFifty, Macs, Dennis Carpenter, LMC all offer many parts.
Regular auto parts stores carry a lot of stuff as well.
The gasket set from FelPro is FS 7999 PT-3
That is available at most parts stores.
Fel-Pro FS7999PT3 - Full Gasket Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Felpro Full Gasket Set FS 7999 PT-3: Advance Auto Parts
NAPA AUTO PARTS

Old 12-07-2015, 07:49 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 556 Likes on 360 Posts
Old 12-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Harrier
Our vendors like MidFifty, Macs, Dennis Carpenter, LMC all offer many parts.
Regular auto parts stores carry a lot of stuff as well.
The gasket set from FelPro is FS 7999 PT-3
That is available at most parts stores.
Fel-Pro FS7999PT3 - Full Gasket Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Felpro Full Gasket Set FS 7999 PT-3: Advance Auto Parts
NAPA AUTO PARTS
I placed my first order for this truck through Mid Fifty!!!

Thanks for the links Harrier! I ordered through Advance Auto Parts, I don't have a local store, but I couldn't pass up the 20% off and free shipping over $75 orders.

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
That link is very informative, thanks bjmayberry!

Old 04-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
So in January, I took my truck to the gas station for the first time since buying it in November. On my way home, I wanted to see what her top speed was. Long story short, I blew a diaphragm in the carburetor. It started leaking and all kinds of idling issues started. I ordered the rebuild kit in February and the truck sat for 2 months. Last night I finally built up the confidence to tackle the job. This was my first time rebuilding a carburetor and I gotta say it was pretty straight forward. I took a couple of pictures of the dis-assembly in case I forgot how to reassemble it back. The model Holley carb I had didn't use all the parts that came in the kit, so that made me feel a little worried I didn't dig far enough into it, but I've read somewhere that's normal to have extra parts. Took me roughly 5 hours from removing it from the motor and reinstalling back on the motor.

Carb ready for the rebuild.

All the parts in the kit. The green gasket looking thing is what was casing my leaks. It was hard and cracked.

Knee deep in the rebuild.

Idles way better now and even the wife noticed too!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Bessie
More Turbo
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Back to the engine size for a minute. You established that you have an EBV 239 block and a late 50s intake manifold. Go the next step and pull the value covers off to determine which heads are on the truck. Look for that 3 letter code stamped near the rockers.

239 overhead V8 engines were only used in 54 and 55, then the 272 and 292 become the primary production engine for Ford. Unfortunately, many of the 272 and 292 parts do not fit on the 239. Know that a 256 (EBY) was also used in Mercury autos and those parts do interchange with the 239. Many of the 239 parts interchange between cars and trucks, but certainly not all parts.

Also, the water ports on the late 50s intake manifold may not match exactly with 239 heads. This can cause a cooling problem - engine running hot may be a symptom of this.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Well done sorting out the carby. I reckon if you can do carby stuff you can pilot a space ship to Mars AND back.
Great ride! Nice family! Your project has a really happy feel good vibe to it. Good luck, and we know you're gonna have fun!
Peter

Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Smitty49
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase of one beautiful truck and welcome to the forum.
One of the questions you asked was concerning the OD transmission. I owned a 49 Ford Custom Coupe that had 3 speed OD and I loved how it worked.
Here's a little article that might help you in it's operation-
The Borg-Warner Overdrive Transmission Explained- FORDification.com

Old 04-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bessie
Back to the engine size for a minute. You established that you have an EBV 239 block and a late 50s intake manifold. Go the next step and pull the value covers off to determine which heads are on the truck. Look for that 3 letter code stamped near the rockers.

239 overhead V8 engines were only used in 54 and 55, then the 272 and 292 become the primary production engine for Ford. Unfortunately, many of the 272 and 292 parts do not fit on the 239. Know that a 256 (EBY) was also used in Mercury autos and those parts do interchange with the 239. Many of the 239 parts interchange between cars and trucks, but certainly not all parts.

Also, the water ports on the late 50s intake manifold may not match exactly with 239 heads. This can cause a cooling problem - engine running hot may be a symptom of this.
Interesting... I was planning to pull the covers tonight to see how it looks in there. Looking for the 3 digit code gives me another reason to poke my head in there. My valve covers are blue and so far everyone has said they should be a silver color. What other y blocks used blue colored valve covers?

I have no plans to replace the motor any time soon, so I'm keeping the 239 until I hit the lottery or the wife gives me a blank check. Whichever comes first.

I've driven the truck to work through the back roads and sat at a few stoplights. That was a 30 minute commute and it didn't seem to overheat.

I'm planning to refresh the motor when I pull it to do my IFS install. When I do, I want to upgrade the cam. If it is up-gradable, what CAM do you recommend for the 239?

Old 04-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
Well done sorting out the carby. I reckon if you can do carby stuff you can pilot a space ship to Mars AND back.
Great ride! Nice family! Your project has a really happy feel good vibe to it. Good luck, and we know you're gonna have fun!
Peter
Thanks for the kind words Peter! I've rebuilt a water cooled VW VR6 motor before, but that had an EFI. Never owned a carb motor before, other than a lawnmower.

Originally Posted by Smitty49
Congratulations on the purchase of one beautiful truck and welcome to the forum.
One of the questions you asked was concerning the OD transmission. I owned a 49 Ford Custom Coupe that had 3 speed OD and I loved how it worked.
Here's a little article that might help you in it's operation-
The Borg-Warner Overdrive Transmission Explained- FORDification.com
Thanks Smitty! I've read through that link you posted. I haven't sorted it out yet. I'm planning to refresh the motor with all new gaskets, that's when I'll dive into it more.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:52 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome. You have a very nice truck there. And the best color - but then I'm a little biased.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 PM
old_blue1
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Aloha-boy
Finally took delivery of my 40th birthday gift from the wife. For now this is more of an introduction, but later I will post up stuff I do to her.

This was the first day we looked at the truck... I went in with low expectations. I went home wishing it was coming with.
Very nice truck. Is that you in the pic? If so where is the fountain of youth you have been drinking from? You don't look anywhere near 40.

Good job fixing the carb. Nothing like a sense of accomplishment when you repair small projects on these classics.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Originally Posted by das54
Welcome. You have a very nice truck there. And the best color - but then I'm a little biased.
Thanks Dan! I have a few chips here and there, ah it gives it character. :P

Originally Posted by old_blue1
Very nice truck. Is that you in the pic? If so where is the fountain of youth you have been drinking from? You don't look anywhere near 40.

Good job fixing the carb. Nothing like a sense of accomplishment when you repair small projects on these classics.
Yes it is me... I guess it's the Filipino genes!

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah when the truck fired up and idled smooth, I was on cloud 9 for sure!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
I looked into my OD a little more and I think I found my problem. I'm totally missing the relay! Anyone have a good source to buy one?

Nice night for a small cruise to my nearest parking garage.

Quick Reply: 1955 F100... I call her Reece.