1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Introduction: Me and my 1955 F-100 (D)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Southtarnation
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction: Me and my 1955 F-100 (D)

Good afternoon,

I have been a "lurker" on the FTE for a while. I have previously owned three 7.3L Superduties (is that the plural of superduty?) and have now purchased a 55' F100 to hopefully keep and cherish forever.

A little background on me; first off Im not a very good speller and it doesnt help that my "c" key never works well so bear with me please. Im 36 years old, already live in Florida and have no kids to de-fund my projects. However I am still not rich by any means and like to do what I can on the cheap.

I have worked on Chevys most my life for fun and when it was time to get work done I depended on my Ford. Im ready to have a little fun with my Ford now. Ive never changed out suspension and have only completed one assisted engine swap. A few other projects but I am what I would call a "bolt on mechanic", but I am always learning.

I am a member of the Vans Aircraft forum, called "Van's Air-force", Van's being the manufacture of kit aircraft, one of which (an RV-4) I purchased as a flying project. Sounds scary huh? Their shared knowledge was invaluable in my own efforts and I see the same level of comradery and respect here. One of the reasons I even considered the purchase of my F100 was the knowledge base that existed here.

If you care to read more about my airplane, her is a link: http://http://rv-4fb.blogspot.com/

So, finally what you came for the Truck. Ill tell you what I know about it but it is very little, most of you will know more about it then me and that is a big reason Im here. I already have a ton of questions I have not been able to find within the forums using the search.

Point of Sale in New York City

Put to bed at a Hotel on the way back to Florida. couldn't sleep and had to go check on several times during the night. Snapped this off one of those times.

Got out of NYC late in the evening so couldnt get it up on a lift untill the next day. had the oild changed and all of the fittings lubed. I was able to snap off the next series of photos of the undercarriage.

Not sure what these number are...

Bottom of transmission. Not sure what these number are... but through some research Im think that the setup on this F100 is a T86-f1 /R10 borgwarner, Please correct me if not.

Still has wheel drum/manual brakes.

OD Solenoid wires and shift linkage. Both OD wires go up and hook into the OD realy. the yellow Governor wire goes up to the relay but is not connected.

Based on looking up these numbers on the solenoid, it appears to be a 12v. The truck seems to have been converted. I can not find a fuses box, just many in-line fuses and a not very good wiring job.

Back up top, this is the OD Relay as I found it with the yellow gov. wire broken off or cut. There is also s manual toggle switch in the cab that seems to operate the relay. Where does the Gov wire go? I hooked it in with the Black wire above the fuse and tried every configuration of the handle and switch trying to get it to shift. No change in the operation of the OD which at this point is nothing. The Motor/trans freewheel in every gear and any speed no mater the position of the OD handle or switch.

Grease slug out from uv joint? Is that normal?

I guess the truck has been lowered; there is only 1 leaf left in each corner. I dont know if this is an aftermarket mono-leaf setup or if the other leafs were just removed. I am not sure if any modifications have been done to the suspension as far as the rear hangers, rear end, all shocks and all the springs. I can see clearly the frame is not cut, no subframe, ifs or drop axle.

Stock Diff? Probably.

The rear fender supports were never reattached on either side. Where do they go? Drill a hole in the bed wood?

Drag Link and steering box arm. One of my first orders of business is to convert it to power steering. I think Im going to go with the new kit from midfifties, the "400 series". The factory box is shot. I also want to add tilt one day but do not want to give up the manual column shift. Not as concerned with having to keep the horn button on the column though. Ideas?

Off the lift and on the road. I dint pass to may opportunities to stop and stretch. This is at South of the Border on I-95. Turns out i can park this thing anywhere and everyone thinks it belongs there.

The all important VIN. Im guessing that this is not the OEM location. Screws and not rivets to boot. I played Bad to the Bone by George Thorogood as I drove through Richmond and had pictures in my mind of that movie Christine and her rolling down that assembly line and that song playing. Great movie if you have somehow missed seeing it all these years.

Vanity shot at the rest area

Again.

Mold on my dash? is this common?

I think its the stock motor, How do I tell?

Motor, side

I probably would not have added these but since they were there Ill rock them.

They cut the dash to add a DVD player. Sad.

Back in FL, this is all that was holding the Grant steering wheel on. Guess I need a new conversion kit. The one bolt still in place was cross threaded and buggered up all the threads.

Thanks for reading and Im excited about meeting and speaking with some of you and forming new friendships in this new chapter of my life.

Kindest Regards,
Jesse