2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

A New Super Duty Engine is Coming...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:27 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 434 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
For the expected price of the new superduty, Ford could give everyone a Cmax as a bonus to buying the truck and viola, you have instant fuel savings.
Perfect! That is just what I need for taking the kids to school! Make it an Energi so I never have to put gas in it.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 PM
David N.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
My guess would be a redesign of the 6.2L block in order to pass the "over 14000" reliability test. This would allow Ford to discontinue the V-10. A displacement increase would allow for more torque, which is always good.
I've seen the medium duty durability issue mentioned a couple different times, and I think there might be something to it for Ford to keep the V10 in the class 4 and 5 trucks for 7+ years after they dropped it from the lighter trucks, but I've never seen any detail about it. Is it just speculation, or is there a known issue with the 6.2?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:27 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 434 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by David N.
I've seen the medium duty durability issue mentioned a couple different times, and I think there might be something to it for Ford to keep the V10 in the class 4 and 5 trucks for 7+ years after they dropped it from the lighter trucks, but I've never seen any detail about it. Is it just speculation, or is there a known issue with the 6.2?
There is a known issue with cooling in the 6.2L for the duty cycle required for the F450+ trucks. This is an internal Ford requirement that the 6.2L could not pass.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:14 PM
cc322
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Just for the record luv my 2003 V10, I'm starting to think of a new truck but cannot think of what I would get????

Old 11-12-2015, 10:16 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Ford - as a company - needs to continue to develop the V8.

America loves the V8! We really do! I may buy a 4 banger for my "commuter car", but I want a V8 for my fun or work vehicles. I really think Ford will benefit long term by continuing to develop the 6.2. I'd love to see 6.6 to 7 liters wth DOHC and direct injection. NOW we're talking!!!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a big rumor going around right now that the 2017+ Raptors will come standard with a 3.5L Ecoboost and have an optional 5.0L Ecoboost(ish) engine that Ford has dubbed the Cobra Jet, a play on the old 428CJ's.

However, if Fords going to invest in an up tuned forced induction 5.0L for the Raptors, that will essentially stand in place of the 6.2L in the previous generation Raptors, then what's to say that a de tuned version of this (Cobra Jet) 5.0L won't find its way under the hood of the next gen SuperDuty?

It could make in the neighborhood of 500ish hp and 650lb/ft of torque or so, which would make it an awesome middle man engine to bridge the gap between the base 6.2L and the ultra expensive 6.7L Powerstroke.

Here's an article that discusses the new CJ 5.0L.
5.0L Twin Turbo V8 Ecoboost Raptor? - Ford Raptor Ecoboost Forum

Either way though, I'm excited to see what it could be, and what kind of numbers it'll put out. I remember years ago there was a rumor circulating that Ford was working on a more traditional 7.0L V8 for H.D Truck use. I'd be in favor of something like that as well...A return of the big block in Ford trucks!

Either way, I'm sure this new engine won't disappoint!

Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Locally and probably nationally *** communications has been migrating from the diesels to the V-10 in it's F-550 bucket and utility trucks. As one tech told me, *** loves Ford but could no longer see the benefit in the added maintenance and repair of the diesel when the simple gas engine works just as well. It seems that the bucket lifts are now electric vs. hydraulic negating the need for the engine to idle all day while servicing it's above ground lines.

A simple big block replacement V-8 for the V-10 is the right answer for the heavier trucks.

Ram trucks locally are growing in numbers in the heavier segment, this means less sales for Ford / GM. Simple works and in this case, it's better.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,754 Posts

A simple big block replacement V-8 for the V-10 is the right answer for the heavier trucks.

Ram trucks locally are growing in numbers in the heavier segment, this means less sales for Ford / GM. Simple works and in this case, it's better.

If the V10 is working well, and has been working well for the last nearly 20 years, is a replacement really needed for heavier trucks? Barring any significant gains in fuel economy, I would prefer reliability, and like you say, simplicity. The V10 is known, there are a bazillion parts readily available, as many are shared with all the taxi cabs and police cars of the last 20 years, and the service knowledge base is broad.

On the topic of Ram's growing numbers in the chassis cab market, my local fire department just picked up a new beautifully equipped Ram 5500 crew cab (with an all aluminum enclosed tactical support body).

It isn't hard to see why some fleet buyers are turning to Ram, and it isn't just the Cummins engine...
  • Ram's chassis cabs are made with 50,000 psi steel, while Ford's current model chassis cabs are made with only 36,000 psi steel.
  • Ram claims to "feature the largest front and rear brake rotors" in the 4500/450 and 5500/550 class.
  • Ram claims to carry the highest GCWRs in this class.
  • Ram provides a 100,000 mile POWERTRAIN warranty for its diesels, while Ford only provides a 60,000 mile POWERTRAIN warranty for its diesels, even though Ford does provide a 100,000 mile warranty for the Powerstroke engine itself.
  • Ram offers the choice of a Manual 6 spd transmission, Ford does not.
It will be interesting to see how the new 2017 Ford Super Duty Chassis Cabs compare on some of these competitive aspects of the Ram Chassis Cabs in the same class.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:49 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
If the V10 is working well, and has been working well for the last nearly 20 years, is a replacement really needed for heavier trucks? Barring any significant gains in fuel economy, I would prefer reliability, and like you say, simplicity. The V10 is known, there are a bazillion parts readily available, as many are shared with all the taxi cabs and police cars of the last 20 years, and the service knowledge base is broad.

On the topic of Ram's growing numbers in the chassis cab market, my local fire department just picked up a new beautifully equipped Ram 5500 crew cab (with an all aluminum enclosed tactical support body).

It isn't hard to see why some fleet buyers are turning to Ram, and it isn't just the Cummins engine...
  • Ram's chassis cabs are made with 50,000 psi steel, while Ford's current model chassis cabs are made with only 36,000 psi steel.
  • Ram claims to "feature the largest front and rear brake rotors" in the 4500/450 and 5500/550 class.
  • Ram claims to carry the highest GCWRs in this class.
  • Ram provides a 100,000 mile POWERTRAIN warranty for its diesels, while Ford only provides a 60,000 mile POWERTRAIN warranty for its diesels, even though Ford does provide a 100,000 mile warranty for the Powerstroke engine itself.
  • Ram offers the choice of a Manual 6 spd transmission, Ford does not.
It will be interesting to see how the new 2017 Ford Super Duty Chassis Cabs compare on some of these competitive aspects of the Ram Chassis Cabs in the same class.
I'm merely suggesting that if the V-10 is doomed, then a simple big block V-8 is the right choice.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:50 PM
David N.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locally and probably nationally *** communications has been migrating from the diesels to the V-10 in it's F-550 bucket and utility trucks. As one tech told me, *** loves Ford but could no longer see the benefit in the added maintenance and repair of the diesel when the simple gas engine works just as well. It seems that the bucket lifts are now electric vs. hydraulic negating the need for the engine to idle all day while servicing it's above ground lines.

Definitely nationally, and they're not the only ones. Most of the large telecoms have been buying gas engines in the class 4 and 5 trucks for quite a while. GM used to sell a lot of the 4500 and 5500 trucks with the 8.1, and that's why Dodge has finally started putting the 6.4 in their 4500 and 5500 trucks. Those companies are more interested in overall cost than big power numbers. I think Ford will be looking for something that they can make cheaper than the V10. If they can't make a reliable turbo engine that is, those trucks will get a N/A V8, or possibly keep the V10 for a while longer.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:18 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our local EMS provider is replacing their ambulances as we speak... with big-block gasser V8 motors (sadly, in Chevy chassis). All of the diesel manufacturers say that idling isn't good on the new diesel motors, and it just isn't worth the additional cost and maintenance any longer.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,754 Posts
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Our local EMS provider is replacing their ambulances as we speak... with big-block gasser V8 motors (sadly, in Chevy chassis).

Where are they getting this big block from?

GM stopped manufacturing the big block 6 years ago, on December 18, 2009. And those were the units sold to Workhorse, made on a limited number of shifts per week (not per day), the demand was so low. GM actually discontinued the big block in the Chevy trucks and cab chassis models two years prior, way back in 2007.

So if the EMS provider is getting their entire new chassis from Chevy, they are getting a small block... which might make a difference in terms of the expectations in "liter-ship" that Ford is competing against with any new or existing gas engine implementation.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:06 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm merely suggesting that if the V-10 is doomed, then a simple big block V-8 is the right choice.
Actually, a TT5.0 could be the right choice too. Torque would be crazy compared to the current V10.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I would buy a TT5.0 tomorrow if they made one.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:06 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
There will be no TT 5.0 - it was designed from the start to be a high performance naturally aspirated gas engine. The EcoBoost engines are designed AS twin turbo engines. There could be an EcoBoost V8 at some point (very unlikely IMO) but it won't be in the same lineage as the current 5.0L Coyote.

Quick Reply: A New Super Duty Engine is Coming...