1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Smokey startups

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I just noticed the white smoke this week too! I cranked it up for the first time after e fuel, up pipes, down pipe, ebpv delete and it fogs the yard out... Hadn't smoked until I did the work... I thought I had messed something up!

Would backing the fuel pressure down help the problem?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:24 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine will give a light haze of blue from 30*-38*. The colder it gets the worse it gets. That's with 160/80's. No oil consumption between oil changes. I've never seen white from it.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:43 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
I just noticed the white smoke this week too! I cranked it up for the first time after e fuel, up pipes, down pipe, ebpv delete and it fogs the yard out... Hadn't smoked until I did the work... I thought I had messed something up!

Would backing the fuel pressure down help the problem?
Fuel Pressure will have no affect. Or at least from my experience it didn't. Turning it back or up should not affect it, unless you cut it way back. Simply based of heat in the cyclinder, and the fact there is a lack there of and incomplete combustion of the fuel.

I really do think it comes with part of the injector mods/ EBPV and tuning. I am not sure what is built into the computer/timing/programming with or without a chip, but the bigger injectors and adjusted timing for cold weather starts (based upon EOT, ECT, IPR, ICP, cold oil) seems to be the cause IMO. Chip in or chip out it smokes the same. IME Manual ECUs smoke worse than auto ECUs with identical setups... Yes call me crazy but that is what I have also seen on numerous 7.3s. I have no idea why but sure as heck like to know. The SDs with a deleted EPBV and turbo upgrade smoke too, but not near as bad as the OBS truck...not sure if different programming/split shots, or the AIH aids this.

I will say every big nozzled cummins that comes i here does the same darn thing when its cold. Especially if its an older 24 or 12 valve. The 12 valves more than the 24s. My father in laws juiced up 12 valve smokes just like my truck in the morning..... His bone stock 12v barely white hazes, but it hazes.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My stock sticks have always smoked a bit on startup @ 40 F or below. Before and after e-fuel. It always starts up good with no missing so GP's are working. Back out of the driveway then go forward, probably 60 feet down the road and all smoke / haze gone.

MadVan always said Ford over-fuels the OBS trucks at idle.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Usually mine stops smoking as soon as I start driving

Old 11-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fired it up this morning after being plugged in and zero smoke. After work smoking like a train. For about 3 minutes. Then clears up no driving just idling.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Bill (Madvan ) & I were talking about doing an EOT mod years ago . Good compression the engine will start nearly any temp .( Primarily ) EOT decides how much fuel & timing .

Old 11-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hussler
My stock sticks have always smoked a bit on startup @ 40 F or below. Before and after e-fuel. It always starts up good with no missing so GP's are working. Back out of the driveway then go forward, probably 60 feet down the road and all smoke / haze gone.

MadVan always said Ford over-fuels the OBS trucks at idle.
Mine maybe let out an initial puff but that was it after I did the GP and what not. Didn't matter how cold it was. For some reason I'm leaning towards the tuning. Goin from a Cali stock truck to a 49 stater with stage 1's. What it is, I have no fricking clue. It has been low 50's maybe down to 40. But plugin in fixed it. That is all I know.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had smokey start ups a long time. A few times it has started and idled a bit higher and seems to smoke less. I have done glow plugs relays harness work etc. without success. I would love to have less smokey starts. I need to check compression. Not sure if a low pressure cylinder could be the cause.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:00 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Splatts
Mine maybe let out an initial puff but that was it after I did the GP and what not. Didn't matter how cold it was. For some reason I'm leaning towards the tuning. Goin from a Cali stock truck to a 49 stater with stage 1's. What it is, I have no fricking clue. It has been low 50's maybe down to 40. But plugin in fixed it. That is all I know.
Hunh, I thought you were talking about when it was cold dude. Should not smoke in the 40s or 50s. I was talking about once its below freezing :-) I do agree with you it has to be tuning related.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:04 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Action4478
Bill (Madvan ) & I were talking about doing an EOT mod years ago . Good compression the engine will start nearly any temp .( Primarily ) EOT decides how much fuel & timing .
Well I have always wondered what default fueling mode the computer goes into when the oil is below a certain temp. With bigger injectors I wonder if this fueling parameter is changed at all.

Like I said. The truck will start just fine when its been near -40 out and not plugged in. Its not a low compression issue either as the truck pushed closed to 365 on all 8 cylinders at 6200 feet. I simply think its it due to a lack of an EBPV and too much fuel at cold cold idle.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I've thought about switching to synthetic oil and seeing if that helps

Old 11-10-2015, 10:11 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
I've thought about switching to synthetic oil and seeing if that helps
Helps the motor start smooth IMO.... didn't help with smoke :-)

Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Well I have always wondered what default fueling mode the computer goes into when the oil is below a certain temp. With bigger injectors I wonder if this fueling parameter is changed at all.

Like I said. The truck will start just fine when its been near -40 out and not plugged in. Its not a low compression issue either as the truck pushed closed to 365 on all 8 cylinders at 6200 feet. I simply think its it due to a lack of an EBPV and too much fuel at cold cold idle.
If a stock tune smokes at start up, increased PW should smoke more .I was going to do the mod on a potentiometer Like My TFT mod till I found the sweet spot .

Old 12-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Sorry for the long delay, just been busy lately. Well I reloaded the tunes on my chip and still the same nasty startup. I will get a video of it. It's pretty bad. Lol. I'm goin to contact Jody this week and see what he thinks.

Quick Reply: Smokey startups