Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Rear Defrost / Heated Mirrors no-op 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:36 AM
M1Greg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had truck in for oil change just before Christmas. Mentioned nonworking rear defrost. Service advisor didn't even blink. He asked power slider? Needs a new window. Can't get to it till after the first of the year. Haven't had a chance to take it in yet. I have the premium care warranty so I believe this is a covered item.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Pattemax
New User
I posted on here a month and a half ago, rear defrost problem started at 34-35k (under factory warranty) when it happened, but didnt get into the dealer till 38 or 39k. I havent heard anything back from ford customer service after getting them all the info that they requested. I cannot believe the customer service. I worked for Honda for 12 years and all we had to do was ask the rep and he would cover most large items under warranty. I replaced transmissions that were Out of warranty by 50,000miles!! All because Honda new they did not want a bad product out there. I guess thats the difference between quality and just selling mass production. This will be the last FORD i will buy.Too bad cause my wife needs a new car/truck next year and i was gonna trade mine off the year after that. I guess mine wasnt (Built Ford Tough)or designed to (Go Further).. Sorry Ford but you lost a customer for Life!! Too bad Honda doesnt make a real full size truck. Off to buy a Toyota.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:12 PM
M1Greg
New User
Originally Posted by Pattemax
I posted on here a month and a half ago, rear defrost problem started at 34-35k (under factory warranty) when it happened, but didnt get into the dealer till 38 or 39k. I havent heard anything back from ford customer service after getting them all the info that they requested. I cannot believe the customer service. I worked for Honda for 12 years and all we had to do was ask the rep and he would cover most large items under warranty. I replaced transmissions that were Out of warranty by 50,000miles!! All because Honda new they did not want a bad product out there. I guess thats the difference between quality and just selling mass production. This will be the last FORD i will buy.Too bad cause my wife needs a new car/truck next year and i was gonna trade mine off the year after that. I guess mine wasnt (Built Ford Tough)or designed to (Go Further).. Sorry Ford but you lost a customer for Life!! Too bad Honda doesnt make a real full size truck. Off to buy a Toyota.
I know how you feel. My last vehichle is a Honda and my wife is still driving a honda but looking for a new car. The Honda service write up people would approach problems as if it were covered by warranty because they knew that Honda had a rep to maintain. Had a few issues that were covered no questions asked. (Including one incident to the radio head unit that was caused by my first child finding the coin holder under the CD and feeding the CD. Service advisor said " I think this belongs to you." and handed me some coins. "First child he said with a smile?" Then said "I covered it under warranty as an electrical issue.")

For my F150, the advisor seems to take a defensive stance as soon as you mention you are experiencing a problem. I've been through 3 batteries in a year, one which caused a delayed vacation departure with the vehicle. They just say "Bad Battery, put a new one in for you" and send my on my way. I even had to fight to get them to give me a rental when they had to keep the vehicle overnight. That should be a given under my "Premium Care Warranty" I paid for.
I tried to explain that my wife is looking for another car and is being put out by the service experience we've had with the truck but they just smile like they just don't care. I guess they don't because they aren't sharing any commision from sales.
Thats too bad for Ford that they don't own up to their shortcomings. They might sell more vehicles.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Pattemax
New User
Good luck, I hope they fix it for you. Most say that Ford wont even fix it if its still under the 3/36. My wifes Honda has a 195,000miles still looks like new. Ive done the maintenance items and normal where and tear like brakes, wiper blades, and a couple bulbs. So far Ive put in 1 rear wheel bearing, 2 sway bar connector links and 2 lower ball joints at a price of about 150$ total or so. And changed the oil alot! about 65 times 292qts of oil. M1 GREG, I hope the window doesnt Shatter on you like I have read on other forums. I dont even want to push the button for fear of that. That would be great when my 1 year old is sitting in her rear facing car seat!!! Safety issue??? Guess not for Ford.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:50 AM
kruzer
Senior User
Good luck, I hope they fix it for you. Most say that Ford wont even fix it if its still under the 3/36. My wifes Honda has a 195,000miles still looks like new. Ive done the maintenance items and normal where and tear like brakes, wiper blades, and a couple bulbs. So far Ive put in 1 rear wheel bearing, 2 sway bar connector links and 2 lower ball joints at a price of about 150$ total or so. And changed the oil alot! about 65 times 292qts of oil. M1 GREG, I hope the window doesnt Shatter on you like I have read on other forums. I dont even want to push the button for fear of that. That would be great when my 1 year old is sitting in her rear facing car seat!!! Safety issue??? Guess not for Ford.
As far as window shattering, I thought the same after reading many stories about it. I just unplugged the terminals. My heated mirrors still work fine.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:03 AM
M1Greg
New User
Originally Posted by kruzer
As far as window shattering, I thought the same after reading many stories about it. I just unplugged the terminals. My heated mirrors still work fine.
I know a lot of people have done this but why accept this is the solution for a defect that the manufacturer should fix?

Old 02-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Pattemax
New User
Still havent heard anything from Crystal at Ford Customer Service. I have emailed her numerous times and no reply. I know she still works there because shes looking around the forum (today) and answering peoples responses, about getting to there dealer to get diagnosed. Did she ever contact Ford? My dealer? The district service manager? Not sure because she Never replied to me Ever!! why r they even on here? Because they are just trying to make Ford look good, like they are taking care of their customers!!! thats why!! Trust me they arent..

Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 PM
kruzer
Senior User
Originally Posted by M1Greg
I know a lot of people have done this but why accept this is the solution for a defect that the manufacturer should fix?
Because I or we have no choice. I'd rather unplug it and just use the mirrors as oppose to waiting for the window to shatter and told by Ford we know this happens and for about $900 you can another one. Look up Ford's Death Wobble. Ford knows that happens. I even got a couple of letters about it when I had mine. Bone stock F350 Lariet FX4 with 36k launched me and my loaded horse trailer off the road when the truck suddenly had a shaking fit for no reason. Dealer looked at it. Told me they know about this problem and have a good day. After the second time with no trailer the truck was no longer stock and never happen again. Sold it at 147K miles. I don't miss the defroster anyway. When I look out the back all I see is headrests.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:27 AM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you. or someone, point to the steps/diagrams/pictures to show how to unplug the rear defroster, yet sill have heated mirrors ?

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:20 AM
kruzer
Senior User
Originally Posted by dh_meyer
Can you. or someone, point to the steps/diagrams/pictures to show how to unplug the rear defroster, yet sill have heated mirrors ?

Thanks.
On mine which is a 2011 is a spade terminal clip on the passenger side, top of seat the just behind it. You don't have take of the seat off. Just pull it toward you a little. I put some electrical tap on the feed side of the connectors in case the feed side would touch anything metal when I did put them on.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:18 AM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On mine which is a 2011 is a spade terminal clip on the passenger side, top of seat the just behind it. You don't have take of the seat off. Just pull it toward you a little. I put some electrical tap on the feed side of the connectors in case the feed side would touch anything metal when I did put them on.

Thanks ! Will check it out.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Still havent heard anything from Crystal at Ford Customer Service. I have emailed her numerous times and no reply. I know she still works there because shes looking around the forum (today) and answering peoples responses, about getting to there dealer to get diagnosed. Did she ever contact Ford? My dealer? The district service manager? Not sure because she Never replied to me Ever!! why r they even on here? Because they are just trying to make Ford look good, like they are taking care of their customers!!! thats why!! Trust me they arent..
Hi Pattemax,

The custserv@ford.com email address isn't actively monitored; if you need to get in touch with me, the best method is private message (PM). If you'd prefer to speak with someone, you can contact my colleagues at the Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673. Of course, you should feel more than welcome to contact me via PM; I'll be happy to do what I can to assist.

Crystal

Old 10-31-2016, 11:09 AM
ub666
New User
Rear defrost catastrophic electrical failure

I don't have a solution to your issue, just something to share. I have a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost (46+K) and I was taking it to a dealership to get a re-call letter fulfilled that I received. Any way I had 2 other things that I requested the dealership to look at while they had it: 1) Driver seat heater that quit working last winter and 2) the rear window defrost had just recently started to work intermittently this past week.

I was getting ready to go to take the truck to the dealership Saturday morning and tried the rear defrost. I pressed the button and it did not light up to indicate that it was turned on. I pressed it a couple more times to make sure. No lit response from the switch. About 10 minutes later I'm sitting in a McD's drive-thru and happen to look in my rear view mirror and notice smoke coming up from the bottom corner of the back window on the passenger side, on the outside of the truck. I looked down at the rear defrost switch and it is lit up, so I immediately press the switch to turn it off. As I turn around to look at the window with my own eyes, about five seconds later there is a loud "pop" and the whole window "spiders-out" and is shattered. You can even see the pattern of how the glass broke and it starts in the bottom corner where the smoke was coming from. When I got out of the truck and walked around to look at it from the outside, I could see a brown sludge oozing out from behind the black molding that surrounds the window, and it was right in the same spot that the smoke was coming from.

I called the dealership right away and told them about it since I was bringing the truck in, and they are baffled. Once they looked at it themselves, they put in an inquiry w/ FORD HQ because they haven't seen this happen before. This happened this past weekend and they still have the truck so I don't have knowledge as to what the outcome is, but I just wanted to share the experience.

My guess is that the element heated up really quickly due to an electrical malfunction and since the window was cold, it caused the breakage to take place.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

-UB

Old 11-01-2016, 08:43 PM
93Cobra
Senior User
You guys know this issue is VERY common???? Rule of thimb is to not use this feature. Saves burning the truck or a shattered window. Never, ever use that rear defrost.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:37 AM
kruzer
Senior User
Originally Posted by ub666
I don't have a solution to your issue, just something to share. I have a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost (46+K) and I was taking it to a dealership to get a re-call letter fulfilled that I received. Any way I had 2 other things that I requested the dealership to look at while they had it: 1) Driver seat heater that quit working last winter and 2) the rear window defrost had just recently started to work intermittently this past week.

I was getting ready to go to take the truck to the dealership Saturday morning and tried the rear defrost. I pressed the button and it did not light up to indicate that it was turned on. I pressed it a couple more times to make sure. No lit response from the switch. About 10 minutes later I'm sitting in a McD's drive-thru and happen to look in my rear view mirror and notice smoke coming up from the bottom corner of the back window on the passenger side, on the outside of the truck. I looked down at the rear defrost switch and it is lit up, so I immediately press the switch to turn it off. As I turn around to look at the window with my own eyes, about five seconds later there is a loud "pop" and the whole window "spiders-out" and is shattered. You can even see the pattern of how the glass broke and it starts in the bottom corner where the smoke was coming from. When I got out of the truck and walked around to look at it from the outside, I could see a brown sludge oozing out from behind the black molding that surrounds the window, and it was right in the same spot that the smoke was coming from.

I called the dealership right away and told them about it since I was bringing the truck in, and they are baffled. Once they looked at it themselves, they put in an inquiry w/ FORD HQ because they haven't seen this happen before. This happened this past weekend and they still have the truck so I don't have knowledge as to what the outcome is, but I just wanted to share the experience.

My guess is that the element heated up really quickly due to an electrical malfunction and since the window was cold, it caused the breakage to take place.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

-UB
Since I heard about this and unplugged mine long time ago, I've talked to a few dealers out of curiosity about this and they have had customers report this. I'm guessing they in turn tell Ford and that's where it ends.