More Hp to f250 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 PM
PSe6.0
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Hp to f250 5.4

Hey guys I'm new to this! But I have a 01 F-250 5.4 with about 267k miles. I'm looking for a little more horsepower for her. I know there's not much to do for a gas, not like the diesel. But I just want a little more throatle response. It is a manual transmission 5 speed. I currently have the edge cts on my 6.0 and runs good. I was looking into getting the Edge Evo and also upgrading the air intake as well. But is it worth the money? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-31-2015, 07:20 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PSe6.0
Hey guys I'm new to this! But I have a 01 F-250 5.4 with about 267k miles. I'm looking for a little more horsepower for her. I know there's not much to do for a gas, not like the diesel. But I just want a little more throatle response. It is a manual transmission 5 speed. I currently have the edge cts on my 6.0 and runs good. I was looking into getting the Edge Evo and also upgrading the air intake as well. But is it worth the money? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Best bang for the buck get a tuner that can be adapted to whatever you got under the hood and tire size and gear ratio. now & in the future. Do not waist your money on cold air intake. Also check your gear ratio...you might have a 3.55 , which in the 3/4 ton truck could make it act/seem a bit sluggish....better to get 4:10 or better.

Hate to rain on your parade ...but

Right now, If you add a tuner to it, yes, you could probably dial up the punch you're looking for but with that much wear and tare already there...in all likelihood...you'd finish it off, if not the engine, the drive train. With 267k on it you might be better to freshen it up front to back.

Sadly...there really isn't to much to be done...without... getting into the internals. Cams, stouter bottom components, heads, exhaust, etc. BUT the reality is that you have a 3/4 ton truck....it'll never be a rocket sled.

Sooo...before you go get a boat load of parts & goodies. Be honest with your "intended use" and "desired results" of this truck & how long do you intend to keep it. What are you really looking for?? Meaning, you need more/better bottom end grunt for trailering and hauling loads, or ,High RPM,, mud slinging bogger, or better day to day use, heavy duty grocery getter???

Old 10-31-2015, 11:45 AM
PSe6.0
New User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
Best bang for the buck get a tuner that can be adapted to whatever you got under the hood and tire size and gear ratio. now & in the future. Do not waist your money on cold air intake. Also check your gear ratio...you might have a 3.55 , which in the 3/4 ton truck could make it act/seem a bit sluggish....better to get 4:10 or better.

Hate to rain on your parade ...but

Right now, If you add a tuner to it, yes, you could probably dial up the punch you're looking for but with that much wear and tare already there...in all likelihood...you'd finish it off, if not the engine, the drive train. With 267k on it you might be better to freshen it up front to back.

Sadly...there really isn't to much to be done...without... getting into the internals. Cams, stouter bottom components, heads, exhaust, etc. BUT the reality is that you have a 3/4 ton truck....it'll never be a rocket sled.

Sooo...before you go get a boat load of parts & goodies. Be honest with your "intended use" and "desired results" of this truck & how long do you intend to keep it. What are you really looking for?? Meaning, you need more/better bottom end grunt for trailering and hauling loads, or ,High RPM,, mud slinging bogger, or better day to day use, heavy duty grocery getter???

Yeah I was thinking about getting it rebuild down the line. We're the first owner and no problems as of yet, other than minor oil leaks and replacing wear out parts. But mainly it is my everyday driver, also my hauling hog and don't plan on getting rid of it. Honestly just a little more response on the throatle, like I mention it is a standard and I have to get it up to at least 3000 rpm to pick up really well(this is in any gear). I do live in Houston so driving onto the freeway I have to let the rps get up to at least 4000 on 4th gear to build up speed before I put into overdrive. Mentioning all this, it might just be time for a rebuild on it. I forgot to tell you as well, the miles on it are hwy miles, so I don't believe it's hard miles. Sorry I'm not to informed on a 5.4 still doing my homework.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:10 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you had a scanner hooked up to read the codes? Light/random misfires may not always trip the CEL.

As you know good maintenance is the best....sometimes we just get used to way things are and not realize there might be underlying issue.

Soooo, what about the fuel filter, has it been changed ?? & test the fuel pressure? & test for vacuum leaks? When was the last time spark plugs were changed? If the spark plugs had not been changed resently....I'd get a compression check done too. This way you get a sense of how healthy the engine is yet Have you had the wheels up off the ground and spin the wheels listening for a bad wheel bearing? In short, what been done so far?

what is the axle code ? (the code is on the driver side door jam sticker.) If you're towing livestock often...then you'd probably would like 4:10 or 4:88 ....yes that would mean your highway cruising RPM would be higher....but it would go along way to getting that throttle response. If you have 4:10 rear end....then you got some kind of underlying issue.

Last edited by enriched&beyound; 10-31-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-31-2015, 03:38 PM
PSe6.0
New User
Yes sir scanned and everything is fine. I did do spark plugs and coils that were ridiculously expensive about $130 each. Fuel pump and filter about 3 months old. Wheel bearings might be time to replacing them considering the vehicle has 200k+ miles on it. But everything runs good and is maintain really well. Just did the front suspension as well replacing the tie rods and ball joints.

Now I didn't find the axel code so I took a picture to what you were talking about hope it helps.

Edit*
I did hook up my buddies SCT x4 and ran it on 89 octane. I did feel a slight difference in pick up though. I was going to change the axel ratio but was already set at 4:10. Tempting to try it on 91 octane.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:45 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 10-31-2015, 03:49 PM
PSe6.0
New User
Thanks!!!!!