6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking to replace my radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:55 PM
KES08
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FiveOJester
For procedure I followed DieselTechRon's method and its VERY fast. Hardest part for me was keeping the tranny fluid from the cooler from getting everywhere while I was pulling the radiator out.

I first tried a Napa radiator as it was on sale. Core thickness was fine, but it didn't have the right size flanges on the sides to mount up the rubber that mates to the intercooler. I decided to go OEM, purchased it thru Autonation/Ford-parts.com. Turns out they don't ship them anymore, but somehow it went thru as it was Ford-parts.com. Of course it came in damaged and I decided to buy one locally thru a dealer that had it for a decent price.

Oh and you need a special tool for removing the tranny cooler lines. The standard quick disconnect tools don't have the offset in them. I got this a PepBoys:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/669634/00673

Ford 6.0 powerstroke diesel radiator removal and install - YouTube
Thanks for the info. I actually have a buddy that recently replaced his and has the disconnect tools for the tranny lines. I would not have known that if I hadn't watched him fight them first.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Where do you live?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM
KES08
Senior User
I'm near Dayton Ohio

Old 10-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I put a Mishimoto 200° thermostat in at the same time I replaced the factory radiator so to be honest, my temps went up. It has never overheated and I pull a 10k lb fifth wheel. After talking to them here in this forum and on the phone, I was assured it did cool as well as the factory rad, but I was a little worried whe I unpacked it and saw it was a little thinner than the factory rad. But as I said, no cooling issues on my truck. There is a seller on eBay stocking genuine Mishimo radiators but I got mine thru Xtreme Diesel Performance (XDP). I ordered through them and it shipped directly from Mishimo.

Hey KES08, I was born in Greenville and grew up in the Eaton-Lewisburg area.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:11 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
My original lasted 12 years, took less than an hour to replace and cost $250. It wasn't leaking from the tanks, a couple of the cores had hairline cracks. The same thing will happen to the all aluminum rads over time. Aluminum expands and contracts with heat and over time this causes the aluminum to work harden and eventually crack. A lifetime warranty doesn't do you much good when you have to box the old one up, send it back and hopefully get a replacement.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:33 AM
KES08
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I put a Mishimoto 200° thermostat in at the same time I replaced the factory radiator so to be honest, my temps went up. It has never overheated and I pull a 10k lb fifth wheel. After talking to them here in this forum and on the phone, I was assured it did cool as well as the factory rad, but I was a little worried whe I unpacked it and saw it was a little thinner than the factory rad. But as I said, no cooling issues on my truck. There is a seller on eBay stocking genuine Mishimo radiators but I got mine thru Xtreme Diesel Performance (XDP). I ordered through them and it shipped directly from Mishimo.

Hey KES08, I was born in Greenville and grew up in the Eaton-Lewisburg area.
Small world! I grew up in Brookville. I'm down in waynesville now

Old 10-02-2015, 10:19 AM
skibell
New User
Originally Posted by KES08
Ok that makes sense. I could be wrong but I think it is a real mishi rad.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Am about to replace the OEM plastic radiator, clutch fan and water pump as a precautionary measure and doing research. I like the Mishi radiator.
Am thinking Royalradiators is the same seller as in Amazon Royal Parts, (I don't know, am just speculating)for the same radiator, almost at the same price, and free shipping.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 AM
skibell
New User
Maybe we can also measure the fluid containment of these radiators, by temporarily covering the connections and pouring water, then evacuate the water in a container and see how much do we get and post our results?

Old 10-02-2015, 12:59 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
My radiator works fantastic unloaded. Once I hook up my 37' weekend warrior and start pushing the truck, I can get hot and I am certain the 16 coolant passages I am missing would play a part in the cooling. Rusty above mentioned his mishimoto is thinner than his oem.

I am removing my perfectly functioning radiator to replace it with the closest to oem with aluminum tanks that one can buy..... And bpd uses and sells with great success.

I am in ca and if anyone wants to buy my radiator which is in great working condition and you don't tow heavy....
I'll make you a good deal and I have some gold coolant I'll throw in.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 PM
KES08
Senior User
I really like the idea of an all aluminum rad but like JB pointed out cooling capacity is just as important. I think I am going to go with an OEM style to keep cooling specs. I found a good OEM style with a 1 7/8" core, which is exactly the same as my current OEM. I counted the rows however and only came up with 80. It measures the same overall width as the factory one. The one JB posted earlier from performance with 92 rows is 1 7/16" core. Would these be comparable or is more rows better overall for cooling?

Old 10-02-2015, 11:46 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
The radiator from performance is 88 cooling rows the oem with plastic tanks is 91.... Just wanted to clarify. BPD sells the same one I bought and uses them regularly in all their test rigs as well with great success.

If you purchase it from BPD you will get a perfect radiator the first time but will pay 130.00 in shipping. I had to try 3 times through performance due to ups negligence. If you do buy it from them ask them to ship it using ONTRAC since they seem to care a bit more about preserving packages they handle

I am tearing my truck apart starting Sunday to install the full bpd air cooler setup, new radiator and DC alternator with full 1/0 cable upgrades I'll make in my garage. I'll report back with performance once I get a chance to tow with the new setup

Good luck

Old 10-03-2015, 08:05 AM
KES08
Senior User
Ok sounds good. I forgot to mention I looked on performance radiators website and the only rad they list for the 05-07 is a plastic tank unit. Looks to be like to OEM except it's a bit narrower. That's why I'm wondering what is better, 12 more tubes but at almost 1/2" less depth or 12 fewer tubes at 1/2" thicker. I'll try to do some math later and see what I come up with on paper

Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
The link I sent you is the same radiator but you will have to remove your trans cooler fittings which are quick disconnect and install them I your new one. I got lucky, the installed fittings are the same I have currently on my truck.

Depth vs more tubes???? You got me there pal.

Good luck and let us know which way you decided to go and how it worked for you

Good luck

Old 10-03-2015, 08:59 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I ended up getting one from NAPA. It is thicker and I had to modify the side seals to be able to use them. the firs radiator lasted 200,000 miles, If I only get half of that I will be happy. The OEM has one row of long tubes. The NAPA had two rows of shorter tubes. I never thought about counting the number of tubes, but they looked about the same spacing. So far no problems.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:04 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Side seals?

Quick Reply: Looking to replace my radiator